Glannon Guide v. E&E Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ktlulu1

New

Glannon Guide v. E&E

Post by ktlulu1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 am

Ok, I should probably know this or be able to figure it out from amazon... But what exactly is the difference? Is it best to have both? I have the E&E and a hornbook but not the Glannon Guide (which, admittedly, I have no idea what it is).

My professor is awesome and my dad used to teach Civ Pro, so I have high hopes-- but I don't want to miss out on something "essential." Any suggestions or tips?

NewHere

Bronze

Re: Glannon Guide v. E&E

Post by NewHere » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:47 am

The E&E for CivPro is written by Glannon, so it is a bit confusing, yes. I looked at the Glannon Guide in the bookstore, and it looked like it was a collection of multiple-choice questions, to practice and test your knowledge, with only a little bit of explanation. (I haven't used it, though.) Glannon's E&E is good.

Edit: If you want to buy just one of the two, I think the E&E is the one to choose. If you feel you need extra practice, you can always buy the Glannon Guide later.

riseagainst

New

Post by riseagainst » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:25 am

I used the Glannon Guide and loved it (with excellent results). Short introductory page and then a series of multiple choice hypothetical questions and detailed explanation of each answer is right or wrong. I'm more of a "learn by doing" type guy, so I didn't need long intros/lessons. I usually read through it after we had covered the subject in class to test my understanding/supplement my other work.

eqmassa

New

Post by eqmassa » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 pm

They're 2 very different study tools. Glannon is better for quickly reviewing your knowledge, seeing how quickly you can parse out relatively minute differences between options (since it's all based on multiple choice). I found the discussion more useful in the E&E, but I did Glannon questions much more because I could do them more quickly without losing any of the usefulness of doing questions, since Civ Pro's a bit less about gray areas than common law courses are.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:06 pm

Glannon guide is AWESOME if you expect to have any multiple choice stuff on your exam. If not, I would say they are probably about even (maybe give a little edge to E&E because it might help a little more with essay exams). Does you library have any copies?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ktlulu1

New

Post by ktlulu1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 pm

That's a good question. I'm kind of library deficient. I just go in and sit and read. I have to check the map still to find books.

I actually have no idea what our exam is going to be. Two of my three profs this semester are being very tight-lipped which is annoying. Our prof. really likes asking a billion hypos with tiny differences in class, so maybe I'll check out the Glannon Guide.. Thanks for the guidance (too cheesy? probably.).

Prize24

New

Post by Prize24 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:54 am

I've seen it recommended over and over to read E&Es the summer before one starts law school. But how is that even feasible when one E&E is over 600pg???

jeff2486

New

Post by jeff2486 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:21 pm

You can skim an E and E in about 10-12 hours. However I am not one of the ones recommending to read E and Es over the summer before you start school.

I think one semester struggling through judges opinions and professors babbling is good for the thinking processes you want to develop in law school. If you read the E and Es before school you will be more likely to neglect readings and class time since you feel you already have the bulk of the material.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Right. I don't think a 0L can skim an E&E in 10-12 hours and gain anything from it, in the summer before law school. By the end of the first semester, you are able to do that, because you will have heard the concepts before, and you know what to look for.

As others have said many times before, I don't think there's anything you have to do in the summer before law school to prepare. There's really no need.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:37 am

I've seen it recommended over and over to read E&Es the summer before one starts law school. But how is that even feasible when one E&E is over 600pg???
It's not that hard. It's 2 weeks if you read 50 pages a day, which is nothing. You could read 4 subjects in 2 months if you just stuck to a ballpark schedule around that. It's not dense reading material. Read an hour when you wake up in the morning or before you go to bed at night. Read on your lunch hour. It's a little over an hour a day. Plenty of people spent more time than that preppin for the LSAT.

Prize24

New

Post by Prize24 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:50 am

Hmmm...I guess you're right. Thanks!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”