Has anyone successfully petitioned a grade? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Virindi

New

Has anyone successfully petitioned a grade?

Post by Virindi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Please share your stories, and if you were successful or not.

Also thanks in advance. :)

bsktbll28082

Silver

Re: Has anyone successfully petitioned a grade?

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Didn't petition, but got a professor to admit they missed something and they were wrong. That was nice. It was legal writing.

Andrews989

New

Post by Andrews989 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:08 pm

I successfully had a grade changed. Professor had a grading rubric and didn't give me points for an issue that I clearly discussed (it seemed like she skipped a paragraph/page of my answer). I met with her to discuss the exam and after re-reading it she said I should have received the points and it was a computational error.

Mr. Pink

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pink » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:45 am

I'm sure it will depend on the circumstances. I have only argued for a grade change once, and had the grade corrected. Basically there was some ambiguity in the fact pattern.

It was a Community Property class and a couple was married in 2000; in 2001 the wife finished a software program she had been working on for two years; then had to classify the property. I knew they wanted me to discuss the property as part separate and part community property, but I wrote it as all community property. I already had an A in the class and really just wanted to see if I could argue the question. I said that I read the question as meaning she worked on it in 2000 and 2001- the two years they were married. I won.

I also had a MCQ changed, but it wasn't graded, just practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”