Immigration Court and the Categorical Approach Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Immigration Court and the Categorical Approach

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:56 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for readings about removability in immigration proceedings based on florida drug offenses?

I am interested in something that ties in the categorical approach vs. modified categorical approach as it relates to state (or specifically, florida) drug offenses.

I am currently reading the Donawa, Descamps, and Moncrieffe cases - but I would prefer something a little less academic, and a little more easy to digest.

I know Kurzban's would be helpful

:shock:

nog

New

Re: Immigration Court and the Categorical Approach

Post by nog » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:53 pm

This topic is super complex. Don't know anything about Florida-specific offenses, but you may want to look into the Legal Resources section of the Immigrant Defense Project website, which has checklists detailing how removability laws apply to various state criminal offenses:

http://immigrantdefenseproject.org/reso ... -resources

As a general guide to categorical approaches, I'd recommend Alina Das' Immigration Penalties of Criminal Convictions, which provides a good historical overview of where this approach came from. Also the National Immigration Project has some good practice advisories on Descamps and Moncrieffe which should be easily Googleable.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”