The ABA Should Revoke Accreditation of 33% of Law Schools? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hous

Bronze

The ABA Should Revoke Accreditation of 33% of Law Schools?

Post by hous » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Why shouldn't the ABA makes some noise and announce 1/3 of law schools will lose accreditation because the market is already flooded with attorneys with inescapable student loan debt? They could implement this after 5 years allowing people that are already attending or planning to attend to finish up. I understand it's the consumers choice to go to expensive low tier law schools, but graduating from a TTTT with any 100K+ debt and being unemployed is cruel and unusual punishment. LOL

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: The ABA Should Revoke Accreditation of 33% of Law Schools?

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:42 pm

hous wrote:Why shouldn't the ABA makes some noise and announce 1/3 of law schools will lose accreditation because the market is already flooded with attorneys with inescapable student loan debt? They could implement this after 5 years allowing people that are already attending or planning to attend to finish up. I understand it's the consumers choice to go to expensive low tier law schools, but graduating from a TTTT with any 100K+ debt and being unemployed is cruel and unusual punishment. LOL
Why should accreditation depend on there being enough legal jobs to go around?

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 pm

I don't agree with OP, but I do think some schools should either close or be acquired by more prestigious universities and colleges.

Many threads here have addressed this topic, and most people appear to agree that the number of schools should be reduced to about 125-150, and certain schools should close.

Schools like Golden Gate, California Western, Southern, Loyola (MD), UDC, Texas Southern, Florida Coastal, John Marshall (ATL), CUNY, and Cooley should be gone.

Schools like MIT, Brown, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Tufts, Rochester, Purdue, GA. Tech, Davidson, and Wellesley, could stand to open them instead.

I thought UCI's opening was a stroke of genius, not because California needed another law school - it didn't! - but because it gave California another law school with a legitimate mission of educating well-trained lawyers who could actually wind up with jobs. Several California schools should close.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:41 am

I see a disbelief that normal market forces won't already shut down these institutions, but let,them live in the free market and see what happens. They will not thrive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:07 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:I see a disbelief that normal market forces won't already shut down these institutions, but let,them live in the free market and see what happens. They will not thrive.
And even with the screwed up system we have we'll go from 50k grads to 35k in just a few years. I also wonder why anyone thinks shutting down 1/3 of the schools will help if we're not capping enrollment at the others.

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:53 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:I see a disbelief that normal market forces won't already shut down these institutions, but let,them live in the free market and see what happens. They will not thrive.
Because asymmetric information and optimism bias?

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
And even with the screwed up system we have we'll go from 50k grads to 35k in just a few years. I also wonder why anyone thinks shutting down 1/3 of the schools will help if we're not capping enrollment at the others.
Because the law schools are slower to lower their admissions standards.

Skump

New

Post by Skump » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:16 pm

Oh, by rights, probably half of America's law schools should close. Achieving a large number of closures through ABA accreditation requirements would have to be done carefully, however, to avoid tripping up on antitrust/cartel law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:41 pm

If there was a free market system this is undoubtedly what would happen. Unfortunately, with the insane ease of getting government loans these days lots of the school survive because the students are taking from Uncle Sam and handing it the schools w/o thinking of long-term consequences. If there were only private loans most of these students would be ineligible for them and obviously would not be willing to go to law school anymore. This is also partially the reason for insane tuition hikes in the last decade.

Anyway, I also disagree with OP because closer to 75% of schools should be discredited imo (don't know the exact percentage, but the point is most law schools are basically scams).

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:32 pm

PDaddy wrote:Schools like Golden Gate, California Western, Southern, Loyola (MD), UDC, Texas Southern, Florida Coastal, John Marshall (ATL), CUNY, and Cooley should be gone.
Curious: why CUNY? Of the NYC schools, it's by far the cheapest, and it serves more of a niche PI market than anything else (read: no one goes there thinking they want to do BigLaw).

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:34 pm

PDaddy wrote:I don't agree with OP, but I do think some schools should either close or be acquired by more prestigious universities and colleges.

Many threads here have addressed this topic, and most people appear to agree that the number of schools should be reduced to about 125-150, and certain schools should close.

Schools like Golden Gate, California Western, Southern, Loyola (MD), UDC, Texas Southern, Florida Coastal, John Marshall (ATL), CUNY, and Cooley should be gone.

Schools like MIT, Brown, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Tufts, Rochester, Purdue, GA. Tech, Davidson, and Wellesley, could stand to open them instead.

I thought UCI's opening was a stroke of genius, not because California needed another law school - it didn't! - but because it gave California another law school with a legitimate mission of educating well-trained lawyers who could actually wind up with jobs. Several California schools should close.
This post is hilarious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”