How important are spring semester grades... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Octaviankid

New

How important are spring semester grades...

Post by Octaviankid » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 am

The subject line wouldn't let me type in the entire title lol..."how important are spring semester grades after landing a 1L summer internship?" So I applied and got accepted to intern for a state supreme court justice over the summer wanted to know what employers focus on during 2L interviews -- Summer experience and acquired skills or overall GPA. I haven't gotten my grades back yet, but think (hope lol) I did pretty well. I know that I'll be able to get a ton of experience researching,drafting memos etc over the summer ( and will try to get something up on Westlaw if possible lol)...Anyway, my question is pretty basic. In the case I don't do as well I think-- will experience be able to make up for any shortcomings in GPA? w/ respect to both Biglaw and smaller firms.

Thanks guys.

Lincoln

Silver

Re: How important are spring semester grades...

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 am

Octaviankid wrote:The subject line wouldn't let me type in the entire title lol..."how important are spring semester grades after landing a 1L summer internship?" So I applied and got accepted to intern for a state supreme court justice over the summer wanted to know what employers focus on during 2L interviews -- Summer experience and acquired skills or overall GPA. I haven't gotten my grades back yet, but think (hope lol) I did pretty well. I know that I'll be able to get a ton of experience researching,drafting memos etc over the summer ( and will try to get something up on Westlaw if possible lol)...Anyway, my question is pretty basic. In the case I don't do as well I think-- will experience be able to make up for any shortcomings in GPA? w/ respect to both Biglaw and smaller firms.

Thanks guys.
Short answer: No, unless your justice picks up the phone and recommends you.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:10 pm

Experience won't make up for grades

Octaviankid

New

Post by Octaviankid » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Guess it's time to log off and get back to work lol

Thanks for the quick responses.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:22 pm

You got a 1L internship?!? Very few people do that. YOu'll get an offer everywhere you apply!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Octaviankid

New

Post by Octaviankid » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You got a 1L internship?!? Very few people do that. YOu'll get an offer everywhere you apply!

Yeah, I was quite lucky to get it. What do you mean exactly? If I'm not attending a T14 School, what class rank do I need to aim for to be competitive for Biglaw? 10% and above? 5% and above? or "WTF are you doing! Transfer to T14!" lol

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Octaviankid wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You got a 1L internship?!? Very few people do that. YOu'll get an offer everywhere you apply!

Yeah, I was quite lucky to get it. What do you mean exactly? If I'm not attending a T14 School, what class rank do I need to aim for to be competitive for Biglaw? 10% and above? 5% and above? or "WTF are you doing! Transfer to T14!" lol
Poe's law

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Octaviankid wrote:

DF was being sarcastic because everyone gets 1L internships (doesn't mean you shouldn't be happy or excited about your gig tho). I think everyone will tell you it is close to impossible to answer your latter question without more information. Not a T14 school means every other law school. Whether you are at a T20 or an unranked school would be a huge difference.

ETA: scooped by brotherD

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:00 pm

all 1L grades are important. I'd even say that Fall 2L grades are also important, mostly because your cumulative GPA can more drastically change when you don't have as many completed classes.

Octaviankid

New

Post by Octaviankid » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:49 pm

helix23 wrote:
Octaviankid wrote:

DF was being sarcastic because everyone gets 1L internships (doesn't mean you shouldn't be happy or excited about your gig tho). I think everyone will tell you it is close to impossible to answer your latter question without more information. Not a T14 school means every other law school. Whether you are at a T20 or an unranked school would be a huge difference.

ETA: scooped by brotherD
Gotcha lol. Yeah, i'm excited I got one, but like you all said--it wasn't terribly difficult to get (considering I got it w/o any grades)

I'm at Howard
northwood wrote:all 1L grades are important. I'd even say that Fall 2L grades are also important, mostly because your cumulative GPA can more drastically change when you don't have as many completed classes.
I see

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Jsa725 wrote:1L grades trump everything.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Think about it economically. As long as you aren't just a huge liability or depressing to be around, what negative is it to a business to have you come in for free?

It's the paid jobs that are hard to get. Internships are just free labor for them justified by the apprenticeship system, which they don't really follow. It's basically like getting a secretary without having to pay the secretary. Who wouldn't find that cost-effective? It's even funnier when people glorify a particular school, because they got a particular internship. Special snowflake syndrome reaches epic levels when people are so prideful over what they do doing for profit work while making 0/hour. Helping the big guy step on the little guy for free - that's what it's all about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”