ABA Law Student Membership? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
KD35

Silver

ABA Law Student Membership?

Post by KD35 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Hey the school I'm at (and I'm sure a lot of other schools do this as well) has promoted joining the ABA Law Student Division for connections/networking. Any suggestions whether it is worth the $25/year or $60/3 yrs? I figure it isn't worth paying for, but wanted to hear TLS feedback.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Re: ABA Law Student Membership?

Post by I.P. Daly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:24 pm

It depends. The ABA offers things like free law student admission to online CLEs, networking events, and scholarship opportunities. They send out several publications with product reviews and advice. If you're not likely to read the publications or attend the seminars, it may not be worthwhile.
Last edited by I.P. Daly on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Not worth it in my experience. The ABA put on two networking events, both FCFS and open to all students... did not need to be a member... both were for 1L year only.

I have not heard of anyone benefiting from ABA membership in LS, nor as a practicing lawyer really. Do not plan on ever handing the ABA any more $.

LSATPREPPER

New

Post by LSATPREPPER » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:31 pm

KD35 wrote:Hey the school I'm at (and I'm sure a lot of other schools do this as well) has promoted joining the ABA Law Student division for connections/networking. Any suggestions whether it is worth the $25/year or $60/3 yrs? I figure it isn't worth paying for, but wanted to hear TLS feedback.
Worth it for the Brooks Brothers discount.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”