more credits or more externships?? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swtlilsoni

Bronze

more credits or more externships??

Post by swtlilsoni » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:39 am

Just in case I strike out at OCI I'd like to have a backup plan.
On the one hand I thought that if I got a bunch of impressive externships during the year, I would have more "experience" and a better resume and would have an easier time finding a job after graduating.
But at the same time, instead of doing externships for academic credit (which would be pass/fail) I could just try to take more classes to boost my GPA, and hopefully if I get it high enough it might help me find a job after graduating?

So what do you think, should I sacrifice some potential grades for pass/fail externships, or should I use all the credits I can for grades? Would the benefit of an externship outweigh the benefit of using that grade to boost my GPA instead?

Externships are about 3 credits per semester at my school (out of a total of around 12-15 credits)

goaheadualright

New

Re: more credits or more externships??

Post by goaheadualright » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm

bump...same question

hiima3L

Silver

Re: more credits or more externships??

Post by hiima3L » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:00 pm

If you don't get a job at OCI, you need to network like nuts and get the highest GPA you can.

I think externships are a great way to network and get a solid recommendation, which can go a long way.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”