Running Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
splittermcsplit88

Bronze

Running

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:10 pm

I've tried running at night after coming from the library, but this seems to exhaust me more in the mornings...I'm not sure how people feel refreshed...

Davidbentley

Bronze

Re: Running

Post by Davidbentley » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Do it first thing in the morning. Getting up a bit earlier sucks, but it's well worth coming into class and annoying the hell out of your classmates by being the only awake one.

I get to the gym at 6:30 every morning. It works really well.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Working out in the morning makes me sluggish and stiff all day. My muscles don't appreciate working out and then being forced to sit in classroom/office chairs for hours on end right after.

I like working out late at night and then putting my tired muscles to bed, but that may have evolved out of necessity, since my hockey leagues have a lot of 10pm/11pm games. :P

splittermcsplit88

Bronze

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:11 pm

:) I never really understood how you can feel energized from running. I heard somewhere that you need to run for at least an hour? or so for it to be effective. So maybe I'm overdoing it because I run till I really can't. And I hate so so much running in the mornings...I feel like I'm going to cough up blood lol with gravity 100x

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splittermcsplit88

Bronze

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:14 pm

and how do you guys pace yourselves? say on a mill, you go 10min. (speed 6), 5min. (speed walk), 10min. (speed 6), etc.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah, you're overdoing it. Also, stretching. I didn't have to stretch until this year, but now I suddenly have an overwhelming need to if I don't want my ankles to file divorce papers against the rest of my body.

Splitter, do you have experience running? Do you have running shoes? How much are you currently doing? You should check out a 0-5k program. They're good for figuring out how get running without waddling like a hippo afterwards. Most universities have a fitness center that you're probably paying for, so go hit up the health peeps there for some free advice.

splittermcsplit88

Bronze

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:21 pm

I never thought about running as such a methodical sport; I'd just go running around the block a few times when I felt overwhelmed. Right now, I'm doing about 35 minutes (at speed 6 on mill), but I really want to improve and make this a regular routine. Yea, I'll check out the 0-5k program thanks!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:23 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote::) I never really understood how you can feel energized from running. I heard somewhere that you need to run for at least an hour? or so for it to be effective. So maybe I'm overdoing it because I run till I really can't. And I hate so so much running in the mornings...I feel like I'm going to cough up blood lol with gravity 100x

"I keep hearing about this 'runner's high,' but I must have gotten ahold of some bad shit, because I tried it once and six blocks in, I was on all fours vomiting in the gutter like George Bush at a Benihana."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:16 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I never thought about running as such a methodical sport; I'd just go running around the block a few times when I felt overwhelmed. Right now, I'm doing about 35 minutes (at speed 6 on mill), but I really want to improve and make this a regular routine. Yea, I'll check out the 0-5k program thanks!
if speed 6 means 6 miles/hr (probably), then you are already running over a 5k FYI. 5k ~ 3 miles. 6 mi/hr is 10 min mile. it's a good start but 25 minutes is a respectable time (about 8 minute pace) which would be roughly 7.5 mi/hr on "the mill". so aim to gradually increase your rate to about 7.5 and aim for 25 minute/3mi. then you can run some real life 5k races.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:53 pm

I am also struggling with this. I used to run daily, and I was slated to complete my third half marathon on Saturday (which didn't happen). I work full time and attend school part-time in the evenings. I spend a lot of time studying and working, and I don't find any time to work out. Any tips or motivation is welcomed.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:40 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I've tried running at night after coming from the library, but this seems to exhaust me more in the mornings...I'm not sure how people feel refreshed...
I'm no runner, but my team in college practiced in the mornings for our first long session and then did a short conditioning or weights session in the afternoon. Morning workouts suck. Point blank. Eventually, you will get used to it though and your sleep cycle adjusts. In time, it is second nature. That being said, before it gets better, it's a bitch.

Full disclosure: I don't workout in the mornings anymore. Significant other has thrown a bit of wrench in that (excuses, excuses) so I've adjusted to doing it after reading but before I do stuff for the review or for exam studying. I like exercise classes because they're kind of fun, but running is more efficient so, come exam time, I will switch or...just not workout as much.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:51 pm

You need to get into a routine and stick with it. If you're feeling really tired every now and then, don't be afraid to take a day off. When you're feeling good, run faster. When you're feeling sluggish, run slower.

If you really want specific advice, PM me. I ran track/xc in college, and have good bit of experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote::) I never really understood how you can feel energized from running. I heard somewhere that you need to run for at least an hour? or so for it to be effective. So maybe I'm overdoing it because I run till I really can't. And I hate so so much running in the mornings...I feel like I'm going to cough up blood lol with gravity 100x
The minimum time that should be spent at an aerobic level (around 60-70% of max heart rate) is 20 minutes. Shorter than that and you won't be getting any benefit. After 20 minutes, the next jump in terms of physiology comes at 30 minutes of sustained effort.

I'd recommend getting off the treadmill as much as possible. Actually running is a much better experience. Just don't wear headphones on the roads.

If you run in the AM, try getting up an hour before you run and having a cup of coffee. Having your body be awake does wonders for a morning run.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:10 pm

An hour is too much, unless you've already trained yourself up to it, even if you can manage it once. You need to remember/come up with a reason why you exercise in law school. To keep fit, to wake up, stress relief etc. For most people LS isnt' the time to take up marathon training.

You do benefit from shorter exercise periods, but it all depends in what you're trying to accomplish. I run in the mornings because your body uses oxygen more efficiently the rest of the day when you start with a workout (and your brain uses, on average 20% of the oxygen yo breath in - so more oxygen = more brain power). It's also a useful time to focus, but I do shorter, more intense (at least for me) runs of 3ish miles with some variation in pace, from warm-up to cool down stretching ~45-50 mins total.

Also, your dehydrate overnight so you have to force fluid in in the morning, that's 1 reason why I prefer treadmill running (but make sure you add some incline!)

http://lifehacker.com/5929526/busy-brea ... ocks-a-day
http://lifehacker.com/5938216/what-happ ... us-happier
ignore the snark: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lifehacker.com%3A+exercise

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:29 pm

homestyle28 wrote:An hour is too much, unless you've already trained yourself up to it, even if you can manage it once. You need to remember/come up with a reason why you exercise in law school. To keep fit, to wake up, stress relief etc. For most people LS isnt' the time to take up marathon training.
While I wouldn't recommend someone who has never run before to run an hour 7times/week, but 1 longer (and slower!) run per week is a very good idea.

You're reason to exercise should be your health, which should be of the upmost importance. Heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc are all very strongly correlated with not exercising and eating right. That's not to say you need to run all the time, though! I'd personally mix in a routine with running, biking, weight lifting, and some paddle sports (come on, who doesn't like racquetball and squash), frisbee, etc.

If you like running and how it makes you feel, I believe there is no better way you can possibly spend 30-75 minutes per day. The lifetime rewards will be tremendous.

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:49 pm

I've started running again in the past few months and I've found this training programs pretty useful: http://www.halhigdon.com/

Hal has a program for just about everyone. Really made it easy to ease back into it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splittermcsplit88

Bronze

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 am

homestyle28 wrote:An hour is too much, unless you've already trained yourself up to it, even if you can manage it once. You need to remember/come up with a reason why you exercise in law school. To keep fit, to wake up, stress relief etc. For most people LS isnt' the time to take up marathon training.

You do benefit from shorter exercise periods, but it all depends in what you're trying to accomplish. I run in the mornings because your body uses oxygen more efficiently the rest of the day when you start with a workout (and your brain uses, on average 20% of the oxygen yo breath in - so more oxygen = more brain power). It's also a useful time to focus, but I do shorter, more intense (at least for me) runs of 3ish miles with some variation in pace, from warm-up to cool down stretching ~45-50 mins total.

Also, your dehydrate overnight so you have to force fluid in in the morning, that's 1 reason why I prefer treadmill running (but make sure you add some incline!)

http://lifehacker.com/5929526/busy-brea ... ocks-a-day
http://lifehacker.com/5938216/what-happ ... us-happier
ignore the snark: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lifehacker.com%3A+exercise
Thanks for this, very informative! I'll try 30 minutes each morning. 8)

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Running is cool and all...but I think exercises with short interval bursts are more effective, at least for me.

I would say try out boxing (but be careful not to hurt yourself, so start out slow).

Plus, according to TV show Suits, boxing seems to be an effective way of extracting more information from the opposing counsel. They sure don't teach you that at law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”