BarBri Online Only Bar Review Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chapelthrill

New

BarBri Online Only Bar Review

Post by chapelthrill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 pm

First post! I'm considering whether to take the online only Barbri bar review for CA since all the locations around me are filled. Does anyone have or does anyone know of someone who has took the online only course? Are there any substantive differences between the online and the in-class lessons? My understanding is that unless you're in a live class, you'll be staring at a video for 4 hours every day anyway. Any help is appreciated!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Re: BarBri Online Only Bar Review

Post by I.P. Daly » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 pm

chapelthrill wrote:First post! I'm considering whether to take the online only Barbri bar review for CA since all the locations around me are filled. Does anyone have or does anyone know of someone who has took the online only course? Are there any substantive differences between the online and the in-class lessons? My understanding is that unless you're in a live class, you'll be staring at a video for 4 hours every day anyway. Any help is appreciated!
When I contacted BarBri about the online option for the NY Bar, the operator advised me that it's pretty much the same as attending a classroom location. Tuition is also the same, as students have the option of attending an an onsite location.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I did online only and was just fine. There were many days when I bailed half-way through a lecture and other days when I watched multiple lectures and did practice tests. I did end up having to cram during the last 2.5 weeks.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:52 pm

Online only IS THE SAME as the on-location classes, or at least it was when I took the bar. In fact, in most of the on-location classes, they are simply playing a video of the lecture a live professor gave to one class a day or two prior. While I can see the point about having to be dedicated, if you can force yourself to get in a car and drive to class, you can force yourself to watch the lectures online. Fear of failure was my motivator.

They used to charge less for online - because people weren't selecting it - but then began offering all lectures online to those who also were going to class. Now that I think of it, I got jipped.

I didn't go to a single class, it was fine.

chapelthrill

New

Post by chapelthrill » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks guys - online it is!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:13 pm

I have always planned to go online-only. I'm a grownup and I really don't need to commute everyday and waste the gas to make myself accountable.

That being said, I do want the experience of taking the simulated practice test in a classroom environment. Barbri was kinda deflective about it, but basically it sounded like if you gave them notice that you would be showing up to a live session, they would accommodate you.

Not sure how this would work for allegedly "full" classes since that isn't an issue near me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”