Fit of the suit (male) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
professork

New

Fit of the suit (male)

Post by professork » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:46 am

Interviews are coming up for 3l oci. I recently got a suit tailored (i wore an off the rack for 2l) and it is european slim fit aka pretty tight fitting and trendy. I'm not worried about color combinations - it is a navy suit so conservative enough. Most people I saw wore very loose fitting mens warehouse type clothing. Therefore, I'm worried about sticking out too much maybe in a negative way.

Thoughts?

I apologize for my neuroses in advance - I blame law school.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Re: Fit of the suit (male)

Post by ElvisAaron » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:07 am

professork wrote:Interviews are coming up for 3l oci. I recently got a suit tailored (i wore an off the rack for 2l) and it is european slim fit aka pretty tight fitting and trendy. I'm not worried about color combinations - it is a navy suit so conservative enough. Most people I saw wore very loose fitting mens warehouse type clothing. Therefore, I'm worried about sticking out too much maybe in a negative way.

Thoughts?

I apologize for my neuroses in advance - I blame law school.
IMO a slim fit tailored suit just makes the alternative look sloppy in comparison. I have all my suits cut tight and I'm surrounded by floppy fucks and I feel like its always given me an edge by somehow looking more put together amongst a pile of people essentially wearing the same outfit.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:15 am

A slimmer-fitting suit indicates that you cared enough to put some thought into your image which is something I think that employers will value. Besides, I just generally feel better in a suit that fits me best. Slimmer guys look best with a trim fit suit as opposed to the off-the-rack fit.

The European slim fit is definitely "in" now and I personally will never buy a suit that just flows around me like a night shirt. You will definitely be noticeable, but in a good way. Just make sure to pair the suit with the right shirt and tie and don't go overboard on accessories (like a flashy watch, crocodile leather shoes, etc.)

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Slim is probably both fine and good, but if it's really European tailored-to-your-body-looks-almost-like-a-skin-tight-wetsuit thin that could stand out in a negative way.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:26 pm

It's basically the most conservative profession around. The new "in" look probably isn't the way to go for interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Depends on what the meaning of the word "slim" is.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Veyron wrote:Depends on what the meaning of the word "slim" is.
Exactly. Form-fitting can look sharp. Skin-tight can scream hipster(esque). Generally, however, personality > suit. Thus, dress intelligently, but more importantly, act normally. HTH broski.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:49 pm

I got my pre-law school suits cut a little looser because I thought that was the smarter choice going into such a "conservative profession," but now that I've worked two summers the attorneys all have closer cuts than me and I really regret my decision. The people (myself included) with the looser cut suits look like they are playing grown up. People in the legal profession don't really wear their suits like George H.W. Bush. You'll be fine.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:59 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Veyron wrote:Depends on what the meaning of the word "slim" is.
Exactly. Form-fitting can look sharp. Skin-tight can scream hipster(esque). Generally, however, personality > suit. Thus, dress intelligently, but more importantly, act normally. HTH broski.
+1, especially the braheim part

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 am

FWIW, I recently heard a partner at a midlaw firm talk shit about slim-fit suits for about 15 minutes straight... so it probably depends on the firm.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:23 am

I feel that the slim fitting suits just look all around sharper and make you look more put together than rocking one that seems over-sized and flowing. I have a good number of suits I need to get tailored (lost 40ish lbs since I bought them) and think that a slim fit tailoring would look the best on me now. Though, I imagine a slim fit would backfire if you're a little pudgy or big in general.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:32 am

Heartford wrote:FWIW, I recently heard a partner at a midlaw firm talk shit about slim-fit suits for about 15 minutes straight... so it probably depends on the firm.

ZOMG!!?!?! YOU GOT A PARTNER AT MIDLAW TO SPEAK TO A LOWLY AND WORTHLESS PEASANT LIKE YOURSELF?!?
YOU ARE TRULY BLESSED MY FRIEND, NO DOUBT IN MY MIND YOU WILL NOW BE A BETTER PERSON.

:lol:

jk, but to add something to the thread: Outside of the Church looking sharper will benefit you no matter how unjustifiable the boost is (see: Palin, Sarah). As long as it is not too tight I guarantee you it looks better then the 4-year-old-in-his-dads-suit-jacket-and-trousers look that is finally dying in the states.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 am

things fall apart wrote:
Heartford wrote:FWIW, I recently heard a partner at a midlaw firm talk shit about slim-fit suits for about 15 minutes straight... so it probably depends on the firm.

ZOMG!!?!?! YOU GOT A PARTNER AT MIDLAW TO SPEAK TO A LOWLY AND WORTHLESS PEASANT LIKE YOURSELF?!?
YOU ARE TRULY BLESSED MY FRIEND, NO DOUBT IN MY MIND YOU WILL NOW BE A BETTER PERSON.
I didn't say he spoke with me. I said I heard him. So no, actually I did not get a partner at midlaw to speak to a lowly and worthless peasant like myself. I was just trying to say that, believe it or not, some people think slim suits look funny- and some of them make decisions which affect the careers of law students.

This guy totally looks like a lawyer, though: Image

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:43 am

As long as you don't look like a Topman asshole, you're good (and probably better than the guys wearing OTR).

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:11 am

Depends on your build. If you're slim, then slim-fit usually looks great. If you're kind of a fatty, or a full-fatty, then you'll look like even fatter. Fatties don't get hired as much.

Well-tailored is what you should be after.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Verity wrote:Depends on your build. If you're slim, then slim-fit usually looks great. If you're kind of a fatty, or a full-fatty, then you'll look like even fatter. Fatties don't get hired as much.

Personally, I kinda loathe Obama but he does well-tailored suits to a T. Turn on C-Span, look at Obama, get your suit tailored accordingly.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Veyron wrote:
Verity wrote:Depends on your build. If you're slim, then slim-fit usually looks great. If you're kind of a fatty, or a full-fatty, then you'll look like even fatter. Fatties don't get hired as much.

Personally, I kinda loathe Obama but he does well-tailored suits to a T. Turn on C-Span, look at Obama, get your suit tailored accordingly.
Agreed, except for the loathing bit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Jos A. Bank has pre-tailored fit suits. they also have good deals.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:39 pm

am060459 wrote:Jos A. Bank has pre-tailored fit suits. they also have good deals.
+1

The suits I got there seemed to have the exact kind of cut I was looking for, and only took a tiny bit of alteration.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:08 pm

am060459 wrote:Jos A. Bank has pre-tailored fit suits. they also have good deals.
This is surprising. Not the good deals bit, that much is true. However, there is a Jos A. Bank outlet near my hometown, and every jacket I've ever tried on could have doubled as a sleeping bag. Also, I find the arm holes to be too low and the sleeves too wide. For reference, I wear a 40R, and while law school has taken any athletic build I once had, I'm still a pretty average sized guy.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Why would anyone want a pre-tailored suit? I imagine the slogan being: "Jos. A. Bank Pre-Tailored Suits: Custom fit just for you, except not really at all."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:31 pm

I like the Fitzgerald from BB. The fit is slim, but not Thom Browne over the top(though I do like Thom Browne for occasions outside of work), and the tailoring at BB is great/free; unless you have extensive jacket work done, then there is a minimal charge. I wear a 38/32 and it fits fantastic. Plus, if you go when there is a sale, you can get one for around $630; a very solid price for a high quality item.

So I say go to BB, grab a Fitzgerald, and call it a day. You really can't go wrong with that suit.

P.S. Just make sure they tailor the pant length properly. Don't let them talk you into extra fabric around the ankles; you want a tiny amount of sock showing.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Heartford wrote:Why would anyone want a pre-tailored suit? I imagine the slogan being: "Jos. A. Bank
Pre-Tailored Suits: Custom fit just for you, except not really at all."
because it saves you time and if your body is structured normally, it save you money. also, Jos A. Bank uses quality cloth.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Heartford wrote:Why would anyone want a pre-tailored suit? I imagine the slogan being: "Jos. A. Bank Pre-Tailored Suits: Custom fit just for you, except not really at all."
Lulz. "Pre-tailored" does seem like a contradiction in terms.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Which is TCR?

--ImageRemoved--

These actually both look kind of stupid to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”