Updated - Unemployed EIC of CK Law Review now at Kirkland Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Updated - Unemployed EIC of CK Law Review now at Kirkland

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/inside-s ... s#comments

I think this article is going to hurt, not help his chances.
Last edited by helfer snooterbagon on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaronDetroit

New

Re: Unemployed Editor in Chief of Chicago kent Law Review

Post by BaronDetroit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Certainly, what this unemployed new lawyer should do is launch a lawsuit against this website and author arising out of emotional injury and lost income caused by seeing his employment chances severely damaged as a result of unprofessional and distasteful articles posted by the defendant author.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/inside-s ... s#comments

I think this article is going to hurt, not help his chances.
That author is such an arrogant jerk. He just did this to get back at the "kid." If he really wanted to help him, he would have gotten him some kind of entry level position at his company or with one of his bazillion attorney friends' firms.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Would you stick your neck out for some kid you don't know from a hole in the wall who decided you should help him get a job?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:39 pm

BaronDetroit wrote:Certainly, what this unemployed new lawyer should do is launch a lawsuit against this website and author arising out of emotional injury and lost income caused by seeing his employment chances severely damaged as a result of unprofessional and distasteful articles posted by the defendant author.
Given the job market, he has problems (real and big--really fucking big) proving damages. For NED he'll have to prove duty, breach, cause, along with damages. For IIED, I doubt he can meet the reckless and outrageous standard (torts is two-years stale in my head).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Well I know the legal market is bad, but when an Editor-in-Chief from a top ranked school fails to get a job it is very scary. Well scary till I realize that the job market is bad, but not bad enough to warrant an unemployed Editor-in-Chief unless his resume has major issues or he sucks at interviewing.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 pm

random5483 wrote:Well I know the legal market is bad, but when an Editor-in-Chief from a top ranked school fails to get a job it is very scary. Well scary till I realize that the job market is bad, but not bad enough to warrant an unemployed Editor-in-Chief unless his resume has major issues or he sucks at interviewing.
Chicago Kent is not a top ranked school.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:46 pm

dresden doll wrote:
random5483 wrote:Well I know the legal market is bad, but when an Editor-in-Chief from a top ranked school fails to get a job it is very scary. Well scary till I realize that the job market is bad, but not bad enough to warrant an unemployed Editor-in-Chief unless his resume has major issues or he sucks at interviewing.
credited.
All I think you take away from the article is that this kid likely has social issues that overcome EIC on his resume and/or Chicago Kent is a TTT in decline. Although the comments mention how he could have been EIC but still managed to have pretty average or below average grades; bad gpa cancels out EIC and then some.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:

Hmm for some reason I thought Chicago Kent was a T1. Not top ranked, but I did not realize it was a T2. I stand corrected.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:59 pm

All it takes to be on law review at most schools with a write on is to be median or above. At that point, managing board positions are just a matter of how well you drone/how much of a glutton for punishment you are.

Honors cut off is 25% according to NALP, and, according to LinkiedIn, the guy didn't graduate with honors. This guy could very well be top 30 40 50% at Kent. Show me someone who thinks top 30-50% at Kent is getting a major firm job (and by that I mean pays 80-160k), and I'll show you a fool dreamer.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:All it takes to be on law review at most schools with a write on is to be median or above. At that point, managing board positions are just a matter of how well you drone/how much of a glutton for punishment you are.

Honors cut off is 25% according to NALP, and, according to LinkiedIn, the guy didn't graduate with honors. This guy could very well be top 30 40 50% at Kent. Show me someone who thinks top 30-50% at Kent is getting a major firm job (and by that I mean pays 80-160k), and I'll show you a fool dreamer.
+1. I find it very annoying when people still view law school as high school or undergrad where "working hard" or joining a billion clubs should automatically make you an appealing candidate. I would look for two things as a hiring partner: 1. Great Grades; 2. Social Skills.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:All it takes to be on law review at most schools with a write on is to be median or above. At that point, managing board positions are just a matter of how well you drone/how much of a glutton for punishment you are.

ATL comments have a link to his blog, which is fairly entertaining and also contains his resume. Looks like he has a 3.39 GPA. Maybe someone can figure out where that is on their curve.

/cyberstalk

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 pm

dresden doll wrote: Chicago Kent is not a top ranked school.

No, but it's not really a TTT or TTTT either.. I suspect it is rare for a former EIC at Kent to have a job after graduation. In fact, I imagine quite a few of them land good jobs. Top 10% at most law schools that I am aware of (baring maybe some of the TTTT or unranked schools), tend to do pretty well with employment, although obviously not necessarily a 160k BigLaw position. I think even that is often not out of the question for the very top graders at the schools that tend to be looked down on though.

In this case, toward the bottom of the article it was stated the guy ended up not having top grades, which makes me think maybe he had a personal crisis or something where his grades took a total dive. Maybe not, but if that is the case it would help explain a situation that otherwise does strike me as surprising.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Woozy wrote: ATL comments have a link to his blog, which is fairly entertaining and also contains his resume. Looks like he has a 3.39 GPA. Maybe someone can figure out where that is on their curve.

/cyberstalk
NALP says that the top 33% cut off for the graduating class of 2009 was 3.403 and median was 3.274. So he's above median, not top 1/3. Again, absent a few extenuating circumstances (legit connections, URM), no one at Kent is getting major firm work with those grades.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
dresden doll wrote: Chicago Kent is not a top ranked school.

No, but it's not really a TTT or TTTT either.. I suspect it is rare for a former EIC at Kent to have a job after graduation. In fact, I imagine quite a few of them land good jobs. Top 10% at most law schools that I am aware of (baring maybe some of the TTTT or unranked schools), tend to do pretty well with employment, although obviously not necessarily a 160k BigLaw position. I think even that is often not out of the question for the very top graders at the schools that tend to be looked down on though.

In this case, toward the bottom of the article it was stated the guy ended up not having top grades, which makes me think maybe he had a personal crisis or something where his grades took a total dive. Maybe not, but if that is the case it would help explain a situation that otherwise does strike me as surprising.
No grade dive necessary. As I explained above, it's quite possible for a student to have median grades and be EIC or whatever of law review.

BaronDetroit

New

Post by BaronDetroit » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:40 am

Nobody has told me why this theory is not viable: Go to any ABA accredited law school and become a lawyer arising out of the juris doctorate. Simplify the way in which lawyers make money. Become very ignorant and simply find clients who want to obtain large quantities of money. Find these claimants and launch lawsuit after lawsuit knowing that clients nor judges care what your school was or grades were. Its not easy- nothing is. But until a new lawyer fails at this theory I see no reason to ever apply for any jobs.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:30 am

BaronDetroit wrote:Nobody has told me why this theory is not viable: Go to any ABA accredited law school and become a lawyer arising out of the juris doctorate. Simplify the way in which lawyers make money. Become very ignorant and simply find clients who want to obtain large quantities of money. Find these claimants and launch lawsuit after lawsuit knowing that clients nor judges care what your school was or grades were. Its not easy- nothing is. But until a new lawyer fails at this theory I see no reason to ever apply for any jobs.
:|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:34 am

BaronDetroit wrote:Nobody has told me why this theory is not viable: Go to any ABA accredited law school and become a lawyer arising out of the juris doctorate. Simplify the way in which lawyers make money. Become very ignorant and simply find clients who want to obtain large quantities of money. Find these claimants and launch lawsuit after lawsuit knowing that clients nor judges care what your school was or grades were. Its not easy- nothing is. But until a new lawyer fails at this theory I see no reason to ever apply for any jobs.

Are you in law school, or are you an 0L? If you are not in law school, don't go based on your plans. Very few new attorneys are successful in starting their own practice right out of law school. Obtaining many clients is not easy and being "very ignorant" will likely get you sued for malpractice or worse. I seriously hope you were joking.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 am

Are you on drugs?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 am

FRCP 11(c)

kra

New

Post by kra » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:20 pm

He put an explanation of the whole thing on his blog-- very interesting

http://lawmovies.wordpress.com/

Also his blog is pretty hilarious-- funny guy

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:11 pm

"Hey, we have a claim that may or may not be legally actionable, should we hire a well respected established plaintiff's attorney to fight our case?"

"No honey, let's risk losing our potential million dollar claim on some kid straight out of law school who simply has no idea how to operate the practical side of a lawsuit, will probably commit several cases of malpractice without us knowing, and could easily get our case thrown out of court for a technicality that he doesn't even understand"

Brilliant.

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Woozy wrote: ATL comments have a link to his blog, which is fairly entertaining and also contains his resume. Looks like he has a 3.39 GPA. Maybe someone can figure out where that is on their curve.

/cyberstalk
NALP says that the top 33% cut off for the graduating class of 2009 was 3.403 and median was 3.274. So he's above median, not top 1/3. Again, absent a few extenuating circumstances (legit connections, URM), no one at Kent is getting major firm work with those grades.

BaronDetroit

New

Post by BaronDetroit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 am

You bring customer oriented service customized to the particuliar needs of the client. Some lawyers treat clients as if they are trash. Certainly, another key is to launch lawsuits and not be afraid to bring actions that a more experienced lawyer would dismiss as non viable. The thrill and aggressiveness to ensure your client gets richly compensated is the lynchpin of my theory.
delBarco wrote:
"Hey, we have a claim that may or may not be legally actionable, should we hire a well respected established plaintiff's attorney to fight our case?"

"No honey, let's risk losing our potential million dollar claim on some kid straight out of law school who simply has no idea how to operate the practical side of a lawsuit, will probably commit several cases of malpractice without us knowing, and could easily get our case thrown out of court for a technicality that he doesn't even understand"

Brilliant.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:34 am

BaronDetroit wrote:You bring customer oriented service customized to the particuliar needs of the client. Some lawyers treat clients as if they are trash. Certainly, another key is to launch lawsuits and not be afraid to bring actions that a more experienced lawyer would dismiss as non viable. The thrill and aggressiveness to ensure your client gets richly compensated is the lynchpin of my theory.
Sounds bulletproof to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”