Research Assistant "Interview" attire Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uwb09

Silver

Research Assistant "Interview" attire

Post by uwb09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:41 pm

I handed in a resume/cover letter for a RA position this spring with one of my professors. He asked me to come by his office for 10-15 minutes on Friday to "discuss my RA application".

I'm a total jeans/t-shirt student, should I go full business casual for this? I was thinking just doing a nice button up with dress/casual shoes with nice jeans.

northwood

Platinum

Re: Research Assistant "Interview" attire

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:45 pm

You are talking to your professor about a job. Its a causal interview. I would say it depends on your relationship with the professor, but at least I would wear dress shoes, a nice pair of jeans and a button down collar t-shirt. Business causal would be fine. This is a business meeting to talk about job prospects, not a educational meeting to talk about the reading or course.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 pm

ya that's pretty much what I was thinking, thanks

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:53 pm

I'd do brown shoes, khaki's, button down, and sweater for this. I think jeans are a no go for this.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:57 pm

uwb09 wrote:I handed in a resume/cover letter for a RA position this spring with one of my professors. He asked me to come by his office for 10-15 minutes on Friday to "discuss my RA application".

I'm a total jeans/t-shirt student, should I go full business casual for this? I was thinking just doing a nice button up with dress/casual shoes with nice jeans.
Don't wear jeans for any interview ever. No matter how casual the interview is. Be professional. I worked in HR and I cannot say this enough: Dress professionally. Jeans are not professional.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:19 pm

ya, i'll just do khakis/button up to be safe :mrgreen:

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Seriously. Why do I keep reading recommendations for wearing jeans to interviews? Interview? If yes --> suit. Doesn't matter if the interview is with someone you know, its an interview.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Geist13 wrote:Seriously. Why do I keep reading recommendations for wearing jeans to interviews? Interview? If yes --> suit. Doesn't matter if the interview is with someone you know, its an interview.
Nice jeans are fine if you are interviewing to be a construction worker. HTH

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Geist13 wrote:Seriously. Why do I keep reading recommendations for wearing jeans to interviews? Interview? If yes --> suit. Doesn't matter if the interview is with someone you know, its an interview.
No. Interviewing for an RA position generally does not require a suit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 pm

a suit would be a bit too much in this instance. Dress pants, and a ironed dress shirt ( buttoned up of course) would be appropriate. Dont bring your backpack to the interview.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
This. I know profs who would probably not hire you if you showed up at their office in a 3-button.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:44 pm

aschup wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
This. I know profs who would probably not hire you if you showed up at their office in a 3-button.
Fucking california hippies. You guys make it hard to interview in the tech world. Half the companies would ding you for showing up in a suit, half the companies would ding you for not showing up in a suit.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Fucking california hippies. You guys make it hard to interview in the tech world. Half the companies would ding you for showing up in a suit, half the companies would ding you for not showing up in a suit.
Just gotta understand the culture, bro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 pm

I wore slacks and a button up shirt with no tie for my RA interview last year. All of the other interviewees dressed up to a similar standard. Don't wear a suit.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Journeybound wrote:I wore slacks and a button up shirt with no tie for my RA interview last year. All of the other interviewees dressed up to a similar standard. Don't wear a suit.
Do you remember what the girls wore? Was it skirts tops and cardigans? Dresses? Pants and a top? Heels or flats? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry, I have an interview with a Prof on Friday and have no idea what to wear. Thanks!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm

forty-two wrote:
Journeybound wrote:I wore slacks and a button up shirt with no tie for my RA interview last year. All of the other interviewees dressed up to a similar standard. Don't wear a suit.
Do you remember what the girls wore? Was it skirts tops and cardigans? Dresses? Pants and a top? Heels or flats? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry, I have an interview with a Prof on Friday and have no idea what to wear. Thanks!
Any of those could be acceptable business casual - just wear whatever you would wear to an office job. No 4-inch heels, no hot pink, etc.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:21 pm

I wore jeans, a t-shirt, and doc marten boots to my "meeting" with my professor/boss. I got the job. Sweet gig. $1700 for 6 weeks working from 5:30pm to 7:30pm 4 nights a week, thus allowing me to keep my daytime internship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”