Interested in family law Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
soda mayor

New

Interested in family law

Post by soda mayor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 am

how does one pursue this path? what should one be doing their 1L summer?

Family law isnt really represented at OCI or at my schools public interest fair. Is it a waste of time to e-mail these small (usually very small) firms and inquire about an internship?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Re: Interested in family law

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:28 am

My (former) roommate wants to go into family law and spent her 1L summer interning for a judge in family court. She enjoyed it and learned a lot. She's having more trouble finding 2L employment, but she thinks her grades are the thing holding her back there.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:44 pm

You should see if there is a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) program in your area. I am a CASA (started two years before law school) and while it has left me with no doubt that family law is something I have no interest in, I have had a ton of interaction of with the family court system. Also, on any one case, there will be an attorney from the prosecutor's office, an attorney for the child, an attorney for the mother, and potentially another for the father. In other words, the networking possibilities are endless.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Do yourself a favor and don't do family law.

Macunaíma

Bronze

Post by Macunaíma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:13 pm

mrmangs wrote:Do yourself a favor and don't do family law.
Credited response.

If you like trashy clients who demand you litigate emotionally, rather than rationally, go for family law. If you think justice means fighting tooth and nail for the coffee mug from the family trip to Wall Drug in 1993, go into family law. If you can really sink your teeth into using your client's children as weapons against his or her ex, go into family law. If you enjoy seeing people at their absolute worst, go into family law.

If that doesn't sound like your passion, jizzmopper is a step up from family law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Macunaíma wrote:
Credited response.

If you like trashy clients who demand you litigate emotionally, rather than rationally, go for family law. If you think justice means fighting tooth and nail for the coffee mug from the family trip to Wall Drug in 1993, go into family law. If you can really sink your teeth into using your client's children as weapons against his or her ex, go into family law. If you enjoy seeing people at their absolute worst, go into family law.

If that doesn't sound like your passion, jizzmopper is a step up from family law.
That's a great Clerks reference.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Macunaíma wrote:
Credited response.

I laugh out loud at my share of TLS posts but I likely laughed at this the hardest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”