Differences b/w standard and take home exams Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Geist13

Silver

Differences b/w standard and take home exams

Post by Geist13 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:42 am

First semester I had 4 standard four hour issue spotters. This semester I will have three 8-hour take home exams all with word limits. Although I haven't gotten any grades back, I really struggled with timing in my first semester exams. This makes me hopeful that I may be able to perform better this term. However I realize there may be other factors that come into play for take home exams.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed any important differences between how a word limit take home exam and a standard exam should be approached.

philosoraptor

Silver

Re: Differences b/w standard and take home exams

Post by philosoraptor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:57 am

In my seven-hour take-home in the fall, I found that the (limited) opportunity to revise/edit/polish was very helpful. Many TLS folks seem to advocate verbal diarrhea as the best way to take exams, but (a) you can't do that within a reasonable word limit, and (b) I firmly believe the professor's going to be more disposed to give you points if he can follow a logically organized, carefully written essay. That's a little easier to do in a take-home setting.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”