Is Good Faith implied in NFL player contracts? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Generic20101L

Bronze

Is Good Faith implied in NFL player contracts?

Post by Generic20101L » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Like if you know Albert Haynesworth is half assing it, etc... Do you have to pay him all of his money?

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Re: Is Good Faith implied in NFL player contracts?

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Lebron James says yes.

QandAphorism

New

Post by QandAphorism » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Piay thiat mian hees Maney.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:23 pm

i would assume so ...

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:27 am

Yeah, you do. That's why sports Ks have "performance bonuses"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:43 am

The NFL contract situation is pretty crazy. A lot of this is hashed out on a contract by contract basis rather than with a general rule applied to all. Also, do not forget that salaries are not guaranteed in the NFL, unlike MLB and the NBA. If the Redskins cut Haynesworth, he'd lose out on all the money not specifically guaranteed by the contract, which, in Haynesworth's case, is something on the order of $16 million next year. This is in contrast to a bonus, which is guaranteed according to the NFL collective bargaining agreement.

The Redskins are trying to build a case for not paying Haynesworth next year, and potentially for recollecting some of the bonus money already dispersed to him, by suspending him without pay for 'conduct detrimental to the club.' However, the Redskins will probably lose the grievance that Haynesworth and his agent are sure to file because they stupidly never gave Haynesworth an official or written warning or disciplinary action for any of the stupid crap he has pulled up to this point. Generally, you can't go straight to 'suspension without pay'; there usually has to be some discipline that takes place before teams take that drastic of a step.

The takeaway? The Redskins may be the most poorly run franchise, in terms of personnel management, in the NFL. Move over, Raiders.

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Generic20101L wrote:Like if you know Albert Haynesworth is half assing it, etc... Do you have to pay him all of his money?
This made me laugh because, in the NFL, a player could be producing at an All-Pro level and you STILL don't have to pay him all his money. Just cut the guy and... oops... no contract. I'm oversimplifying the bonuses and guaranteed money issue (as eloquently stated in the post above), but for most players (i.e. many of the guys no one's ever heard of), that makes up very little of their contract. /rant

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:30 pm

QandAphorism wrote:Piay thiat mian hees Maney.
He bveat me.. straight uapp

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”