Considering dropping out of law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
James Bond

Gold

Re: Considering dropping out of law school

Post by James Bond » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:46 pm

retake

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:47 pm

James Bond wrote:retake
Ok, I lol'd.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

OP: Before you drop out, take a leave of absence. You need time to figure out what you really want to do, and start planning to make that a reality. If you step back, and realize that you want to continue ( it sounds highly unlikely- but you never know) then you still have a foot in the door. Or, you can start applying for other positions and go from there- and after you obtain one- then drop out.

Now is not the time to make any rash decisions. Finish this semester- then take a leave of absence.

You need to do some serious thinking. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

paratactical wrote:
James Bond wrote:retake
Ok, I lol'd.
Ditto. JB won this thread.

gobias

New

Post by gobias » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:04 pm

I'd like to clarify a few things in the original post.

1. This has nothing to do with grades. I did well on midterms, and I've been keeping up with the workload.

2. Yes, yes, I should have done more looking before I leaped. I totally agree. I researched law school a lot more than I researched the being an attorney. This is a pretty common mistake. I would say a good portion of my classmates did less research than I did. For example, most of the 1Ls don't know what LRAP and PSLF are. Anyway, it's too late to do anything about it now.

3. I am $21k in debt now. I can’t finish just the first year to see how it goes because it’s another $21k for second semester. At that point, I'm too close to the point of no return. I need to make this decision now.

4. My school doesn't permit students to take a leave of absence until after 1L year is complete.
Last edited by gobias on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:34 pm

gobias wrote:I'd like to clarify a few things in the original post.

1. This has nothing to do with grades. I did well on midterms, and I've been keeping up with the workload.

2. Yes, yes, I should have done more looking before I leaped. I totally agree. I researched law school a lot more than I researched the being an attorney. This is a pretty common mistake. I would say a good portion of my classmates did less research than I did. For example, most of the 1Ls don't know what LRAP and PSLF are. Anyway, it's too late to do anything about it now.

3. I am $21k in debt now. I can’t finish the first year because it’s another $21k for second semester. At that point, I'm too close to the point of no return. I need to make this decision now.

4. My school doesn't permit students to take a leave of absence until after 1L year is complete.
I worked as a paralegal before entering law school and I enjoyed the work. I absolutely hated my first year of law school and thought about dropping out after the spring semester. However, I decided to complete my summer internship before deciding whether to return. I loved the internship and decided stay in law school. Being taught to "think like a lawyer" seems pointless and inefficient to me, but I enjoy the "real life" practical application of legal theories.

Do you have the time to shadow an attorney over winter break to see what lawyers actually do?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:37 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
gobias wrote:I'd like to clarify a few things in the original post.

3. I am $21k in debt now. I can’t finish the first year because it’s another $21k for second semester. At that point, I'm too close to the point of no return. I need to make this decision now.

I worked as a paralegal before entering law school and I enjoyed the work. I absolutely hated my first year of law school and thought about dropping out after the spring semester. However, I decided to complete my summer internship before deciding whether to return. I loved the internship and decided stay in law school. Being taught to "think like a lawyer" seems pointless and inefficient to me, but I enjoy the "real life" practical application of legal theories.

Do you have the time to shadow an attorney over winter break to see what lawyers actually do?
Nice handle

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 pm

OP focus on your finals, relax a couple days, then think about this. It's easy to make rash decisions when you're stressed out. Good luck.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:06 pm

:oops:
Last edited by uzpakalis on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:14 pm

uzpakalis wrote:Sigh....do you realize how fortunate you are to be at a T10 right now OP? If you were so worried about debt, why didn't you go to a lower ranked school and take $$$?
RC Fail.
gobias wrote:I’m 23 and currently a 1L at a T1 law school. Not T14, but respectable.

bleedcubbieblue

Bronze

Post by bleedcubbieblue » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:21 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:Sigh....do you realize how fortunate you are to be at a T10 right now OP? If you were so worried about debt, why didn't you go to a lower ranked school and take $$$?
RC Fail.
gobias wrote:I’m 23 and currently a 1L at a T1 law school. Not T14, but respectable.
classic

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:13 am

worldtraveler wrote:OP focus on your finals, relax a couple days, then think about this. It's easy to make rash decisions when you're stressed out. Good luck.
This.

I'm considering dropping out as well, although mainly because I'm realizing that my reasons for going to law school in the first place were not as well thought out as they should have been, I find all of my clases boring, and because my skills (math/technical, not analytical writing) are not as applicable to law as they would be in another field that I would also enjoy more. If I do, I'm planning to work for a couple years and find something I actually like doing before jumping into any other graduate program.
Leaving just because you're worried about job prospects or debt though seems to be a bit of an overreaction at this point. See how you do on finals first, and as a few others have said, try to stick it out through the year, then take a leave of absence and find work for awhile to see if you like it.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:24 am

bostonian wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:OP focus on your finals, relax a couple days, then think about this. It's easy to make rash decisions when you're stressed out. Good luck.
This.

I'm considering dropping out as well, although mainly because I'm realizing that my reasons for going to law school in the first place were not as well thought out as they should have been, I find all of my clases boring, and because my skills (math/technical, not analytical writing) are not as applicable to law as they would be in another field that I would also enjoy more. If I do, I'm planning to work for a couple years and find something I actually like doing before jumping into any other graduate program.
Leaving just because you're worried about job prospects or debt though seems to be a bit of an overreaction at this point. See how you do on finals first, and as a few others have said, try to stick it out through the year, then take a leave of absence and find work for awhile to see if you like it.
I totally sympathize for the OP, but also want to point out that the most reasonable advice in this thread came from two posters with less than 150 posts each. Some of the TLS vets need an attitude check...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Miniver

Bronze

Post by Miniver » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:33 pm

I just read the first several posts at the start and end of this thread. Seems like the direction of the thread is more along the lines of "you should have thought of this before," rather than giving actually advice.

So here's some actual advice: Drop out now.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:41 pm

General Tso wrote:
bostonian wrote:
This.

I totally sympathize for the OP, but also want to point out that the most reasonable advice in this thread came from two posters with less than 150 posts each. Some of the TLS vets need an attitude check...

Makes me wonder whether law school is turning us all into a bunch of jaded pricks.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:24 pm

I've seen nothing harsh in this thread.

OP, you are wussing out. God I wish this explanation was longer so I could carpet this post with F-bombs.

Nothing is worse than a wuss lawyer,

except a wuss businessman.

Just hang yourself now and save your employers from yourself.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 pm

I also think most posters are being a bit too harsh on the OP here. See his post count? New to TLS -- most people in law school do NO RESEARCH AT ALL prior to attending. It is why there is so much bitterness afterwards. Why should anyone be surprised that OP did twice the research the avg law school student would have done?

lol yeah he should have done more, but I mean, if everyone did as much as they should have, the world would be a better place and Communism would work. not everyone is resourceful enough to find/utilize TLS.

and in case anyone is wondering, no i dont support 'free handout welfare' :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:I also think most posters are being a bit too harsh on the OP here. See his post count? New to TLS -- most people in law school do NO RESEARCH AT ALL prior to attending. It is why there is so much bitterness afterwards. Why should anyone be surprised that OP did twice the research the avg law school student would have done?

lol yeah he should have done more, but I mean, if everyone did as much as they should have, the world would be a better place and Communism would work. not everyone is resourceful enough to find/utilize TLS.

subtle Star Trek fan trolling.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:55 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:I also think most posters are being a bit too harsh on the OP here. See his post count? New to TLS -- most people in law school do NO RESEARCH AT ALL prior to attending. It is why there is so much bitterness afterwards. Why should anyone be surprised that OP did twice the research the avg law school student would have done?

Also, you know how I found TLS? Let me paint the picture:

Me: "Hm, I don't feel like doing 2 years of premed reqs.. but I do want a professional degree. Lawyer it is."
5 seconds later I googled, "I want to be a lawyer" and TLS was (at the time) the 1st result. It's now the third result.

No excuse, imo.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:06 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Me: "Hm, I don't feel like doing 2 years of premed reqs.. but I do want a professional degree. Lawyer it is."
5 seconds later I googled, "I want to be a lawyer" and TLS was (at the time) the 1st result. It's now the third result.

No excuse, imo.
lol but my point is, you're in the minority. most people dont do research. they make bad decisions. thats not an excuse per se, but i think that should be the context we put people in. OP definitely should have done more research, but since he already did more than avg, a one liner noting how n00b he was is really all that is warranted -- not 2 pages haha.

but okay, tbf, im also a bit unsure what the OP is asking for. does he want our blessing to drop out and go get an MBA? i guess my advice would be, do adequate research on business schools first :P

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:11 pm

zeth006 wrote:
General Tso wrote:
bostonian wrote:
This.

Makes me wonder whether law school is turning us all into a bunch of jaded pricks.
I think it's more just that TLS has a disproportionately high number of assholes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:48 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

No excuse, imo.
lol but my point is, you're in the minority. most people dont do research. they make bad decisions. thats not an excuse per se, but i think that should be the context we put people in. OP definitely should have done more research, but since he already did more than avg, a one liner noting how n00b he was is really all that is warranted -- not 2 pages haha.

but okay, tbf, im also a bit unsure what the OP is asking for. does he want our blessing to drop out and go get an MBA? i guess my advice would be, do adequate research on business schools first :P
Agreed.

But, you know the saddest part about this?

It's a T1 spot that somebody else who was 100% about doing law school could have had.

That's right - I'm playing the guilt card here.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:20 pm

The research point is irrelevant. You can research it all you want and still not end up understanding just what it's like until you're in it, and it's not for everyone.

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:34 pm

I can't tell you whether or not to drop out. That is your decision. However, every year there are many law students who did drop out for the reasons given by you or dropped out because they did badly in law school or realized that they wouldn't like the career. All I can say is that:

First, really think hard about your decision
Secondly, if you really feel as you do after giving it a lot of thought, be glad that you were not one of the many people who made it through law sc hool, took the bar, and then realized that a legal career wasn't right for them. Better now than three or five years from now.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:52 pm

I've LOLed at about three of the responses to OP. Anyways, OP, don't drop out. You need to give your classmates some curve cushion.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”