Model United Nations/Mock Trial... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RaiderInBlue47

New

Model United Nations/Mock Trial...

Post by RaiderInBlue47 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:27 pm

Anyone ever do it in High School/College?

I'm a senior and recently attended my first Model UN conference and it was fantastic. It was the most intellectually stimulating thing I've ever experienced and really changed my whole mindset on politics on all levels. It's really pushed me further into the desire to go into Law and possibly politics.

Has anyone found experience in a semi-formal setting like MUN or Mock correlative to law? I thought it was somewhat correlative with the use of parliamentary procedure and formal debate and writing and whatnot.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: Model United Nations/Mock Trial...

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:33 pm

I did mock trial in college, we hated Model UN kids. Mock trial will help you rock evidence and help with trial advocacy, not much else.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:48 pm

RaiderInBlue47 wrote:Anyone ever do it in High School/College?

I'm a senior and recently attended my first Model UN conference and it was fantastic. It was the most intellectually stimulating thing I've ever experienced and really changed my whole mindset on politics on all levels. It's really pushed me further into the desire to go into Law and possibly politics.

Has anyone found experience in a semi-formal setting like MUN or Mock correlative to law? I thought it was somewhat correlative with the use of parliamentary procedure and formal debate and writing and whatnot.
Which conference did you go to? I did Model UN for three years in undergrad and the only conference that I would really qualify as "intellectually stimulating" was the Harvard National Model UN. All the other conferences were more about hook-ups and getting laid than discussing political issues.

MdmMoisel

New

Post by MdmMoisel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 pm

I participated during first yr of college. I didn't like it at all. More so because I got to understand the utterly slow and inefficient side of UN bureaucracy. Also got to see how helpless poor, less powerful countries are when it comes to getting their message across at the UN panels. Didn't like it. But the participation does help build your oratory power, your level of confidence in public speaking, and leadership. To some extent.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:57 pm

I did both. I really enoyed participating in the Model UN. Mock Trial was ok, though a bit time consuming. :evil:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”