College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Post Reply
alltheway

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 am

College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by alltheway » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Are College Grades or the LSAT score a Better Predictor of Law School Success? I heard from one person it's the grades because it indicates how hard of a worker someone is and how well they are able to learn a body of knowledge like the law, but I wanted to hear other people's opinions, too.

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:32 pm

The best predictor of law school success is how stupid your classmates are.

sissyclark

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by sissyclark » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Neither.

The best answer is that someone with good grades but poor LSAT will argue "We have the ability to work harder, and that is a better predictor of performance." Someone with a high LSAT but crappy grades will argue "I'm smarter, and I'm a quicker analyzer than the numbnuts who can't perform as well on a test."

mst

Silver
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:40 pm

LSAC will tell you LSAT+GPA makes the best predictor of first year grades, not that necessarily means anything; LSAT is the best single predictor though, according to them.

beach_terror

Platinum
Posts: 7921
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:58 pm

kalvano wrote:The best predictor of law school success is how stupid your classmates are.
lol, this is undeniably true

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
JazzOne

Gold
Posts: 2979
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:00 pm

alltheway wrote:Are College Grades or the LSAT score a Better Predictor of Law School Success? I heard from one person it's the grades because it indicates how hard of a worker someone is and how well they are able to learn a body of knowledge like the law, but I wanted to hear other people's opinions, too.
LSAT

Tell your friend I said so.

User avatar
fugitivejammer

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by fugitivejammer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 pm

If I had to choose someone with slightly better grades vs. slightly better LSAT (all else being the same), I think I'd normally choose the person with better grades for a similar reason you mentioned. Grades are hard to compare though because different schools just grade differently, but if I could make the assumption that the two students are from comparable schools (and comparable degree programs), then that makes things a lot easier.

Also, better grades show hard work over a long period of time. LSAT shows a few months of preparation and how well you did that ONE day on the test.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme

Bronze
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:07 pm

LSAT.

Undergrad GPA means nothing in law school, besides maybe as an indicator of how hard you work. Even then, if you don't know how to write a law school final exam, you can work your ass off for the entire semester and you'll still get slapped with a B in your face while those who worked smart, not necessarily hard, will hog the A's.

TigerBeer

Bronze
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by TigerBeer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:09 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:Also, better grades show hard work over a long period of time. LSAT shows a few months of preparation and how well you did that ONE day on the test.
Um what do you think law school exams are about then?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


AmicusCuriae

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by AmicusCuriae » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Neither. I had a sub-3.0 college GPA and a mediocre LSAT score and I graduated top 1/3 from a T14.

User avatar
fugitivejammer

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by fugitivejammer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:Also, better grades show hard work over a long period of time. LSAT shows a few months of preparation and how well you did that ONE day on the test.
Um what do you think law school exams are about then?
Damn, touche TigerBeer. I still stand by my preference for grades though. Gun to my head, I'd say that someone who demonstrated an ability to work hard during UG and get good grades is showing more desirable, relevant characteristics than someone who did good on the LSAT, which in many ways is nothing like a law school exam.

User avatar
dailygrind

Diamond
Posts: 19906
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by dailygrind » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:20 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:This isn't a question open to opinions, educated guesses, or personal anecdotes.

There is emprical evidence out there, from LSAC, indicating that none of the predictors are strongly correlated with law school success. Among the available data points, LSAT score has the most predictive power, but it is still very limited in that regard.
i am in utter disbelief that there are serious responses that don't at least acknowledge this.

User avatar
Raver

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by Raver » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:22 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:Also, better grades show hard work over a long period of time. LSAT shows a few months of preparation and how well you did that ONE day on the test.
Um what do you think law school exams are about then?

Rainbows and Unicorns.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
fugitivejammer

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by fugitivejammer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:This isn't a question open to opinions, educated guesses, or personal anecdotes.

There is emprical evidence out there, from LSAC, indicating that none of the predictors are strongly correlated with law school success. Among the available data points, LSAT score has the most predictive power, but it is still very limited in that regard.
Every question is open to my opinion and educated guesses. This isn't Communist China, man.

User avatar
fugitivejammer

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by fugitivejammer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:27 pm

On that note, which was more oppressive: Soviet Union or Communist China?

User avatar
Raver

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by Raver » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:29 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:On that note, which was more oppressive: Soviet Union or Communist China?
What time period are we talking? Mao vs. Stalin?

User avatar
fugitivejammer

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by fugitivejammer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Raver wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:On that note, which was more oppressive: Soviet Union or Communist China?
What time period are we talking? Mao vs. Stalin?
Yea i think that's a fair match-up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
Raver

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by Raver » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:43 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:
Raver wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:On that note, which was more oppressive: Soviet Union or Communist China?
What time period are we talking? Mao vs. Stalin?
Yea i think that's a fair match-up.
That's pretty tough. I think they were both ridiculously oppressive, but that Mao actually felt like he was trying to improve China, whereas Stalin just felt super paranoid (since he realized people didn't like him). So they were both oppressive jerks, but I think Mao was coming from an (ever so slightly) better place.

kams

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by kams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:23 am

My guess would be LSAT. How you do on a time-pressured test that you basically self studied for that is worth pretty much everything is a better indicator than classes where you hand in assignments and homework that could help even out a bad test grade.
Last edited by kams on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
4for44

Bronze
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by 4for44 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 am

Raver wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:
Raver wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:On that note, which was more oppressive: Soviet Union or Communist China?
What time period are we talking? Mao vs. Stalin?
Yea i think that's a fair match-up.
That's pretty tough. I think they were both ridiculously oppressive, but that Mao actually felt like he was trying to improve China, whereas Stalin just felt super paranoid (since he realized people didn't like him). So they were both oppressive jerks, but I think Mao was coming from an (ever so slightly) better place.
Can we please get back on topic... Which do you think is a better indication of how oppressive the next communist leader will be? Their UG GPA or LSAT?

beach_terror

Platinum
Posts: 7921
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by beach_terror » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 am

Real dictators don't go to college and therefore do not take the LSAT. /thread

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
fugitivejammer

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 am

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by fugitivejammer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 am

beach_terror wrote:Real dictators don't go to college and therefore do not take the LSAT. /thread
Well, Chairman Mao went to college.

And I'm still going to stick with UGPA.

User avatar
solotee

Bronze
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: College Grds or LSAT Better Predictor of Law School Success?

Post by solotee » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:53 am

fugitivejammer wrote:On that note, which was more oppressive: Soviet Union or Communist China?
True story, my grandfather was executed by soviet soldiers during stalins great terror.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”