general comm'l lit'n practice: bankruptcy vs. secreg? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

which one would you pick?

bankruptcy
40%
securities regulation
60%

Total votes: 5

Tsispilos

Bronze

general comm'l lit'n practice: bankruptcy vs. secreg?

Post by Tsispilos » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:10 pm

If you were going to practice general commercial litigation, and bankruptcy and secreg were offered at the same time, which would you pick and why?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: general comm'l lit'n practice: bankruptcy vs. secreg?

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Commercial litigation?

Securities Regulation all the way.

Do you plan on taking the other course?

EDIT: What exactly do you mean by commercial litigation? What area(s) exactly?

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Commercial litigation?

Securities Regulation all the way.

Do you plan on taking the other course?

EDIT: What exactly do you mean by commercial litigation? What area(s) exactly?
What exactly do you learn in secreg?

I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing yet, but my firm placed me in their "commercial litigation" department, which they say is really broad--it covers issues from insurance coverage, breach of contract, corporate derivative suits, creditors rights, etc. It's basically everything in their litigation department that isn't covered by their labor/employment or personal injury defense divisions. I asked them what I should take, and they said "whatever you want."

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:33 pm

Holy sh*t batman.

So essentially, you will get a survey of all of their commercial litigation areas.

Is secured transactions offered as well? If so, I would take secured transactions (it's a precusor to bankruptcy at some schools) and securities regulation.

Securities regulation is the US Fed. securities law (SEC). It includes: regulations, offering and underwriting procedures, securities markets, and security intermediaries.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Tsispilos wrote:I asked them what I should take, and they said "whatever you want."
During interviews I asked a few BigLaw partners what to take, and that's what most of them said. One NY litigation partner recommended securities regulation. But considered altogether, they were really apathetic. So, if they don't care, take professors, not classes.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

spondee wrote:
Tsispilos wrote:I asked them what I should take, and they said "whatever you want."
During interviews I asked a few BigLaw partners what to take, and that's what most of them said. One NY litigation partner recommended securities regulation. But considered altogether, they were really apathetic. So, if they don't care, take professors, not classes.
This is good advice as well. I would still take securities regulations/secured transactions (at least before graduation), but I would be aware of how good the professors for those courses are. Good professors are an important part of the equation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”