Bankruptcy/Creditors Remedies exclusively federal? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
General Tso

Gold

Bankruptcy/Creditors Remedies exclusively federal?

Post by General Tso » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:36 pm

is this area governed exclusively by federal law?

cake

New

Re: Bankruptcy/Creditors Remedies exclusively federal?

Post by cake » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 pm

I've not taken Bankruptcy, but I did work in a BK firm for a couple of years. Since Federal courts have exclusive jurisdiction over bankruptcy matters, I don't think there's any way to get at it from the state (or other) level without stay relief being granted.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:57 pm

That's only half right. It's always done in federal court, but for personal bankruptcies the court applies whatever exemptions exist in your state.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:25 pm

Renzo wrote:That's only half right. It's always done in federal court, but for personal bankruptcies the court applies whatever exemptions exist in your state.
yup this is exactly right.

CA is an opt-out state, and recent case law in CA has held that inherited IRAs are not exempt. Opt-in states following the federal statute have exempted them.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:48 pm

betasteve wrote:
General Tso wrote:
Renzo wrote:That's only half right. It's always done in federal court, but for personal bankruptcies the court applies whatever exemptions exist in your state.
yup this is exactly right.

CA is an opt-out state, and recent case law in CA has held that inherited IRAs are not exempt. Opt-in states following the federal statute have exempted them.
If you knew, why'd you ask?
I didnt know at the time I asked...my boss asked me to research this and I was wondering if I needed to waste my time searching state law. As it turns out, I did need to.

cake

New

Post by cake » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:10 pm

I would argue that this is only tangentially related, since the OP's question was about remedies, but apparently his framed the question more narrowly than he wanted his answer :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”