When do textbooks on Amazon become "slim-pickins" Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jdubb990

Bronze

When do textbooks on Amazon become "slim-pickins"

Post by jdubb990 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Just wondering when the deals on amazon get taken up. I have received my required and suggested textbook list from school but have not yet received my loan money or award letter. Thus my predicament is that I don't want to put close to $1k worth of books on my credit card without knowing whether I will have received loan money to pay the credit card off or not. I don't want the books on amazon to be bought up and then be forced to buy the expensive school textbooks.

General Tso

Gold

Re: When do textbooks on Amazon become "slim-pickins"

Post by General Tso » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:05 pm

1k for books? i bought all of mine on amazon the other day for 400-500. includng supplments

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm F'd in the A then. I have no book list yet, nor schedule. Although it should be here within the next week...but I'll be out of town til August 1 so I probably won't actually see it til then. Super.

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:34 pm

I think it's starting to pick up about now when most people get their schedules. I put all my 1L books on there on Monday and as of today I only have three that haven't been purchased.

Also a book I bought two nights ago used for $70 is going for $80 used at the cheapest now. I got 5 classes worth of books for $250! It sure as hell beat the $600 I paid for new books my first semester.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:46 am

Its really picking up now. I have just bought 5 books for roughly $100, but three of my profs have not gotten back to me on which books we are using and one of the three is in some different country till the day classes start.

On a sidenote, my Torts professor and I emailed about books and supplements. When asked what she recommends for her torts class to supplement the casebook, her response was "Get Understanding Torts by Diamond. This will literally be all you will ever need in my class." I guess its pretty good haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:50 am

HAHAHA I only have to buy books for two classes next semester!! I win!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Half.com pwns Amazon by the way

stj2013

New

Post by stj2013 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:06 pm

wiseowl wrote:Half.com pwns Amazon by the way
Yeah, I just ordered a bunch of my casebooks on Half.com because there is a $5 off $50 coupon and 4% cashback on ebates.com. (referal link). Amazon hardly ever has coupons or cashback type things unless you get an amazon credit card.

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:11 pm

I always email the professor as soon as I pick my classes. For the most part, the professors will email you their book list ahead of time. I am able to buy books at the cheapest price.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”