Recording Class Lectures Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
drwho97

New

Recording Class Lectures

Post by drwho97 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:58 am

Has anyone here tried this? Did you find it helpful? What did you use to record the lecture? Thank you.

sophie316

Bronze

Re: Recording Class Lectures

Post by sophie316 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:10 am

drwho97 wrote:Has anyone here tried this? Did you find it helpful? What did you use to record the lecture? Thank you.
I honestly have no idea why people want to do this(are you really going to listen to 60 hours of class??) but you MUST get permission from the prof to do this.

truthypants

Bronze

Post by truthypants » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:25 pm

I did this--extremely helpful. I think my digital tape recorder is an Olympus (have to check when I get home)? Definitely tape record the lectures--sometimes profs talk fast and you might not be able to type down everything into your notes. I'd listen to the lectures/fast forward to parts of the lecture where my notes were sketchy after class to make sure my class notes were perfect. Also, listening to the lecture a second time solidifies the concept in your brain (kind of like watching a movie a second time-you see/catch things you missed the first time around).

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:34 pm

I see people doing it all the time on their macs. I don't even think they ask permission. However, I would play it safe and ask.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:49 pm

truthypants wrote:I did this--extremely helpful. I think my digital tape recorder is an Olympus (have to check when I get home)? Definitely tape record the lectures--sometimes profs talk fast and you might not be able to type down everything into your notes. I'd listen to the lectures/fast forward to parts of the lecture where my notes were sketchy after class to make sure my class notes were perfect. Also, listening to the lecture a second time solidifies the concept in your brain (kind of like watching a movie a second time-you see/catch things you missed the first time around).
Or you could just ask a classmate or talk to the professor during office hours and ask them to clarify?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:57 pm

I think Olympus and Sony have some pretty good digital recorders. I think it's a good idea to tape the lectures because you won't have to worry about missing something in your notes.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 pm

If you have an iPhone, you can just use that. I've done it in undergrad and found it helpful.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:13 pm

I barely have the patience to listen to lectures the first time. Who in their right mind would double-dip? Ugh.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:19 pm

i think this is a bad idea. had to jump in. not an avid poster.

i would read a hornbook. reading one early might be a good idea (maybe after 1/3) but i've never tried that. hornbooks teach you stuff. they are useful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:48 am

LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:I see people doing it all the time on their macs. I don't even think they ask permission. However, I would play it safe and ask.
Someone in my section did this. Someone 'anonymously' reported them(although we all suspect who it was).

In my mind the only credited reason to record a class is bc you won't be there...profs will often do this on holidays etc.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:06 am

No. Time would be much better spent doing something else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”