Babies. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dominkay

Bronze

Babies.

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:17 pm

When are lady lawyers supposed to have babies? The advice I've gotten from the legal eagles I know is: not before law school (too early), not during law school (too hard), and not for the first few years after law school (would preclude making partner). That accounts for most of my childbearing years.

So, give it to me straight, TLS: are successful legal careers and motherhood mutually exclusive?

IAFG

Platinum

Re: Babies.

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:18 pm

yup, we're fucked

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Just embrace your career. People with children are unhappier anyway.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Pretty much. Esp. if you've taken time off before law school. Case in point, I'll be graduating at 29...

kevin261186

Bronze

Post by kevin261186 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:22 pm

the partner i work under had her one and only child and was in trial 3 weeks afterwards. Needless to say she got divorced, and she has been trying to buy the child's love to compensate for her absence ever since.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:23 pm

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:24 pm

acrossthelake wrote: It looks like it's going to be tough to have a successful career and children. :(
pretty sure it's actually a myth.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:26 pm

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
IAFG wrote:
acrossthelake wrote: It looks like it's going to be tough to have a successful career and children. :(
pretty sure it's actually a myth.
The possibility of both? Yeah. Eh I figure I got 6 years between graduating law school and turning 30. Kids can wait till early 30s...
i am hoping to stumble into a family-friendly lateral option after i pay my dues/off my debt. if not, i'll be a great aunt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:27 pm

dominkay wrote:When are lady lawyers supposed to have babies? The advice I've gotten from the legal eagles I know is: not before law school (too early), not during law school (too hard), and not for the first few years after law school (would preclude making partner). That accounts for most of my childbearing years.

So, give it to me straight, TLS: are successful legal careers and motherhood mutually exclusive?
Every female partner at the firm I currently work at had babies only after becoming partner. Funny enough, the majority of them got pregnant immediately after becoming partner. I'm guessing they would agree with the sentiments above.

Adopt?

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm hoping after I get my feet wet (for, let's say, 3 or 4 years), I will aim for #1.

Hoping to have at least 2, if not 3 or 4, kids, so with graduating at 28, 3-4 years puts me at 31-32. That gives me 8ish years to 40, when I better close up the baby shop.

Long story short: The man and I better start humping like rabbits on a damn timeline HAHA.

EDIT: I just realized how absolutely insane having 3-4 kids sounds now...my life for the next 15 or so years is going to be quite interesting.

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:37 pm

The best time to have a baby is during law school, NOT during 1L. Being pregnant during 1L is fine as long as you're not doing the first trimester in the first semester of 1L. You have the most schedule flexibility and spare time. It also only really works if you have a support system and people who will be able to help you out or a great daycare to watch your child a few hours every day. There are many girls who have done this in my school, one in the first few months of 1L. I don't know how she did it, but she did.

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:40 pm

The best time to have babies is when you can take care of them and be there for them. Take this from someone who has kids and is in law school.

Wait until you can work only part time or not at all, or until you have a husband/wife who can do that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:43 pm

katjust wrote:The best time to have babies is when you can take care of them and be there for them. Take this from someone who has kids and is in law school.

Wait until you can work only part time or not at all, or until you have a husband/wife who can do that.
You're a man. It's not really the same thing.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:43 pm

just realized this is like the one time I'm lucky to be gay. My partner is going to carry our kids.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:44 pm

sophistry wrote:
dominkay wrote:When are lady lawyers supposed to have babies? The advice I've gotten from the legal eagles I know is: not before law school (too early), not during law school (too hard), and not for the first few years after law school (would preclude making partner). That accounts for most of my childbearing years.

Every female partner at the firm I currently work at had babies only after becoming partner. Funny enough, the majority of them got pregnant immediately after becoming partner. I'm guessing they would agree with the sentiments above.

Adopt?
How old were they when they made partner? Do they have just the one kid?

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:49 pm

I'll be 28 when I graduate law school. I'm 25 now and know I want a couple kids down the line. I'm certainly not ready today, but it sometimes creeps me out/panics me a little to think that I'll probably be pushing 35 by the time i COULD have kids. ... I optimistically hope for the work my ass off for a few years/pay off debt, then start a family life-plan, but it is weird to be already worried that I'll end up being one of those people at retirement age whose kids are still in college.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I'm hoping after I get my feet wet (for, let's say, 3 or 4 years), I will aim for #1.

Hoping to have at least 2, if not 3 or 4, kids, so with graduating at 28, 3-4 years puts me at 31-32. That gives me 8ish years to 40, when I better close up the baby shop.

Long story short: The man and I better start humping like rabbits on a damn timeline HAHA.

EDIT: I just realized how absolutely insane having 3-4 kids sounds now...my life for the next 15 or so years is going to be quite interesting.
My understanding is that female fertility begins to decline in your late 20's, and plummets at 32. Good luck?

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:57 pm

dudders wrote:I'll be 28 when I graduate law school. I'm 25 now and know I want a couple kids down the line. I'm certainly not ready today, but it sometimes creeps me out/panics me a little to think that I'll probably be pushing 35 by the time i COULD have kids. ... I optimistically hope for the work my ass off for a few years/pay off debt, then start a family life-plan, but it is weird to be already worried that I'll end up being one of those people at retirement age whose kids are still in college.
I'm 21 and it panics me a little to think that I won't have kids by the time I'm 25. And, of course, I totally can't afford them now.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:58 pm

this article on mommy tracking was linked in ATL today:

http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... lity-.html

i dunno. life's full of tough choices.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Don't have children until you can pay someone to take care of them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:02 pm

I have been wondering this same thing all year. My husband is worried to death. I'm thinking 2L summer would be a great time to have a baby :)

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:11 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:I have been wondering this same thing all year. My husband is worried to death. I'm thinking 2L summer would be a great time to have a baby :)
I guess. If you can't find a job...

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=6155366
A new study from Washington & Lee University shows professional women are walking away from motherhood and marriage -- more than the general population.

She says, while four-fifths of senior male lawyers have children, only two-thirds of senior women do, and there is a similar break from marriage.

"There aren't careers where you can't have children. There are careers where women can't have children. So the question is, are we going to design careers so that only men can have them if they want a conventional family life? Or are we going to design careers so that either men or women can have them if they want a conventional family life?"

Not a myth at all.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:20 pm

i don't think "we" design careers. markets do. markets demand there be elite-but-demanding jobs. if you want kids, you could certainly find a stay-at-home dad or a man with a less demanding job (schoolteacher anyone?) but successful women tend not to want that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”