Bluebook questions (possible not safe for honor code) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thuggishruggishbone

New

Bluebook questions (possible not safe for honor code)

Post by thuggishruggishbone » Tue May 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Figured i'd start a bluebooking thread since the write on competition is upon us. Here's a question--when do we abbreviate United States and when do we spell it out in citations? Also, with the states, when do we abbreviate the state name and when do we spell it out in citations?

Edited title to warn readers. -betasteve

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Re: Bluebooking questions thread

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 11, 2010 9:32 pm

thuggishruggishbone wrote:Figured i'd start a bluebooking thread since the write on competition is upon us. Here's a question--when do we abbreviate United States and when do we spell it out in citations? Also, with the states, when do we abbreviate the state name and when do we spell it out in citations?
Huge potential honor code violation or hugest potential honor code violation?

mollie

New

Post by mollie » Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 pm

How do we switch typeface to large and small caps?

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Wed May 12, 2010 12:16 am

right-click and hit font...should be in the options there.

mollie

New

Post by mollie » Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 am

BunkMoreland wrote:right-click and hit font...should be in the options there.
worked-thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tbo123123

New

Post by tbo123123 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:32 am

where are your ethics? Do you understand the point of the write-on competition? Does your law school allow you to work in groups? Are you aware that your identity is likely out the more posts you put up on here? Do you care this little about your whole career in such an ethics-sensitive profession that you're about to enter? Do you understand cost-benefit analysis?

This thread amazes me, moderators should ban this crap else TLS is going to risk losing serious legitimacy

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Wed May 12, 2010 8:37 am

mollie wrote:How do we switch typeface to large and small caps?
also ctrl+shift+k

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed May 12, 2010 9:15 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
thuggishruggishbone wrote:Figured i'd start a bluebooking thread since the write on competition is upon us. Here's a question--when do we abbreviate United States and when do we spell it out in citations? Also, with the states, when do we abbreviate the state name and when do we spell it out in citations?
Huge potential honor code violation or hugest potential honor code violation?
+1.

But without having seen OP's honor code, I'll answer.

In case names, spell out states and United States only when they are the whole case name. Otherwise, abbreviate. BB 10.2.2.
Smith v. United States
BUT Smith v. U.S Dep't of Agric.

Also abbreviate states and United States when they are in the name of the author of a book, article, report, letter, speech, and so forth. E.g., BB 15.1(d), 16.1, 17.1.3, 17.1.5.

Finally, just look at Table 10 and read the paragraph above it. There are cross-references to relevant rules.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu May 13, 2010 11:11 pm

tbo123123 wrote:where are your ethics? Do you understand the point of the write-on competition? Does your law school allow you to work in groups? Are you aware that your identity is likely out the more posts you put up on here? Do you care this little about your whole career in such an ethics-sensitive profession that you're about to enter? Do you understand cost-benefit analysis?

This thread amazes me, moderators should ban this crap else TLS is going to risk losing serious legitimacy

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat May 15, 2010 7:35 am

tbo123123 wrote:where are your ethics? Do you understand the point of the write-on competition? Does your law school allow you to work in groups? Are you aware that your identity is likely out the more posts you put up on here? Do you care this little about your whole career in such an ethics-sensitive profession that you're about to enter? Do you understand cost-benefit analysis?

Says the poster with 14 posts under his/her belt.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat May 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Renzo wrote:

Says the poster with 14 posts under his/her belt.
Why should post-count matter in the least?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Re: Bluebook questions (possible not safe for honor code)

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat May 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Since there seems to be some controversy, I might as well take the opportunity to ask some 0L fuck-twat questions:

Can the answers to the types of questions being asked be found in this so called "Bluebook"? Is there on on-line version of this "Bluebook"? And can anyone answer the question as to why in the fuck it would matter if the state, or USA, is spelled out or abbreviated? What is the need for this level of anal retention?

Sorry for the interruption. I'm just fascinated and scared shitless by this thing you refer to as "Bluebook".

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat May 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Since there seems to be some controversy, I might as well take the opportunity to ask some 0L fuck-twat questions:

Can the answers to the types of questions being asked be found in this so called "Bluebook"? Is there on on-line version of this "Bluebook"? And can anyone answer the question as to why in the fuck it would matter if the state, or USA, is spelled out or abbreviated? What is the need for this level of anal retention?

Sorry for the interruption. I'm just fascinated and scared shitless by this thing you refer to as "Bluebook".
Allegedly
Yes
No
No one knows.

/helpful

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat May 15, 2010 1:29 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Since there seems to be some controversy, I might as well take the opportunity to ask some 0L fuck-twat questions:

Allegedly
Yes
No
No one knows.

/helpful
:lol: Thank you.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat May 15, 2010 1:41 pm

--LinkRemoved--

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sat May 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:And can anyone answer the question as to why in the fuck it would matter if the state, or USA, is spelled out or abbreviated? What is the need for this level of anal retention?
Fellow 0L here, but as I professional editor, I can speak to this issue in general. Beyond the obvious goal of making things as clear and as easy as possible for the reader, the point of "this level of anal retention" in the media is consistency on everything. Editorial consistency is right up there with fact-checking as fundamental to the actual and perceived legitimacy of any serious publication. Sure, much of any stylebook will seem (and often be) arbitrary, but in general, the more consistent the publication is with itself and its peers, the more respect it gets. If the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal suddenly started misspelling every other word, wouldn't you start to mistrust the accuracy of its reporting? You can extend that argument down to tiny details such as when you can abbreviate "United States."

You could also claim that editors make up and insist on adherence to tons of minute rules as a means to gain and consolidate control over a publication and to mark those who know the rules as part of their exclusive club, and I wouldn't argue too much with that.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat May 15, 2010 2:57 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:And can anyone answer the question as to why in the fuck it would matter if the state, or USA, is spelled out or abbreviated? What is the need for this level of anal retention?
Fellow 0L here, but as I professional editor, I can speak to this issue in general. Beyond the obvious goal of making things as clear and as easy as possible for the reader, the point of "this level of anal retention" in the media is consistency on everything. Editorial consistency is right up there with fact-checking as fundamental to the actual and perceived legitimacy of any serious publication. Sure, much of any stylebook will seem (and often be) arbitrary, but in general, the more consistent the publication is with itself and its peers, the more respect it gets. If the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal suddenly started misspelling every other word, wouldn't you start to mistrust the accuracy of its reporting? You can extend that argument down to tiny details such as when you can abbreviate "United States."

You could also claim that editors make up and insist on adherence to tons of minute rules as a means to gain and consolidate control over a publication and to mark those who know the rules as part of their exclusive club, and I wouldn't argue too much with that.
Not a bad point re: consistency. The bluebook is onerous, but standardizing the style has some real benefits.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Beta is nicer than I am. I am locking this because OP is an honor code violating douche who is too lazy to bluebook, which, btw IS NOT HARD. It's just tedious. Look that shit up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”