whats needed to land wachtell (or = elite firms) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TTT-LS

Silver

Re: whats needed to land wachtell (or = elite firms)

Post by TTT-LS » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:04 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:I think Wachtell is a pretty good deal because if you're doing Biglaw you're already expected to be working intense hours, you're already expected to be on call, you're already expected to change your plans on a moments notice if that's what is asked of you, etc. Wachtell pays you much better for a less than proportional increase in work and effort. Plus it's more prestigious and often works on really high profile cases. I imagine this makes the Biglaw lifestyle somewhat more bearable than at other big NYC firms.
Doc review is doc review. Prestige and high profile cases don't change that.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:06 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
I'm pretty sure you could find something less appealing than $165,000/yr + 90-100% bonus.
If you don't learn to respond to someone's actual point, you won't be working (anywhere) as a lawyer.
Well, well, ironic enough, I suppose. Good luck with your non-legal job, then, Mikey!
You're use of precedent needs work as well. I was commenting on the fact that you failed to respond to OS's point that Wachtell has an awful work/life balance.
Yeah but the ANSWER (that even WLRK people would give) to the question about shitty work/life balance IS the huge-normous fucking salary. If you're expecting a refutation about how you can have a work/life balance at WLRK, then you're asking to be lied to.

And I'd work for WLRK in a heartbeat, which is why I'll be spending my summers parked outside Daniel Neff's place with my telephoto lens camera.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:09 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:I think Wachtell is a pretty good deal because if you're doing Biglaw you're already expected to be working intense hours, you're already expected to be on call, you're already expected to change your plans on a moments notice if that's what is asked of you, etc. Wachtell pays you much better for a less than proportional increase in work and effort. Plus it's more prestigious and often works on really high profile cases. I imagine this makes the Biglaw lifestyle somewhat more bearable than at other big NYC firms.
Doc review is doc review. Prestige and high profile cases don't change that.
I'm sure it sucks hard either way, but if you had the choice would you be completely indifferent?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:12 pm

flcath wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote: If you don't learn to respond to someone's actual point, you won't be working (anywhere) as a lawyer.
Well, well, ironic enough, I suppose. Good luck with your non-legal job, then, Mikey!
You're use of precedent needs work as well. I was commenting on the fact that you failed to respond to OS's point that Wachtell has an awful work/life balance.
Yeah but the ANSWER (that even WLRK people would give) to the question about shitty work/life balance IS the huge-normous fucking salary. If you're expecting a refutation about how you can have a work/life balance at WLRK, then you're asking to be lied to.

And I'd work for WLRK in a heartbeat, which is why I'll be spending my summers parked outside Daniel Neff's place with my telephoto lens camera.
This changes nothing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Based on my current knowledge, I would not work at W,R,L&K. They could double the salary/bonus and I might consider it for a year. I'm not opposed to working at firms, but from the small amount of knowledge of the industry I have, they take the big law reputation to new lows (or highs, depending on your perspective).

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:33 pm

You would know in high school. If you are asking yourself this in LS, then it's far too late.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:45 am

Cavalier wrote: This is the most retarded post I've read here. We are going to law school to make money to afford big homes, summer homes, nice cars, and trophy wives, not to free Tibet and save the whales. If you want to dedicate your life to social justice or some other trivial goal you shouldn't be going to law school.
You must be a 19-year-old rich white kid from the Hamptons. That's the type of person dumb enough to read a discourse on "social justice" in the words of my post. My post has nothing to do with social justice per se, and everything to do with the mentality that we should let law firms and other employers have so much control over our destiny. I like money; I love money. If you want to make money, go do it. But have a plan besides "I hope 'school X' accepts me because, otherwise, I am fucked! I will never get the 'job' I want otherwise."

Do you get it?

There's room for everyone to do what they want to do in the profession, and someone has to serve corporate clients. This is not about telling anyone that there's something wrpong with BigLaw. It's about people thinking so narrowly. If you think that's retarded, I really feel sorry for you. :wink:

Another thing: I realize that many of you will disagree with whatever I say because of my self tar, and that's cool. But you'll do yourself a huge favor if you accept the fact that A) I know I make a lot of sense and that's not going to change because people disagree with me, B) I am not going anywhere, C) you know when you shut the computer down that you agree with much of what I say but are too much of a coward to admit it in the public sphere, and D) some of you only disagree with me because I'm black.

If I were a white boy, you guys would be saying..."Dude...ur smack is so on point!" It's all good...just recognize that I know these things. I'm a soldier...and I'm much too strong for anyone here to intimidate me or try to fool me into thinking that I am the one with the problem.

And to the dude who thinks you are not powerful enough to create anything just being who you are...why don't you say that in one of your essays to the law schools...see if they accept you.

JFK had a low LSAT score and failed the bar like three times. He was rich and connected, but no different from any of us otherwise. Give me the guy with no money who rolls up his sleeves and works his ass off over the spoiled, rich prettyboy every time.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:50 am

PDaddy wrote:If I were a white boy, you guys would be saying..."Dude...ur smack is so on point!" It's all good...just recognize that I know these things. I'm a soldier...and I'm much too strong for anyone here to intimidate me or try to fool me into thinking that I am the one with the problem.

Quoted for posterity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Boba Fett

New

Post by Boba Fett » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:54 am

PDaddy wrote:
Cavalier wrote: This is the most retarded post I've read here. We are going to law school to make money to afford big homes, summer homes, nice cars, and trophy wives, not to free Tibet and save the whales. If you want to dedicate your life to social justice or some other trivial goal you shouldn't be going to law school.
You must be a 19-year-old rich white kid from the Hamptons. That's the type of person dumb enough to read a discourse on "social justice" in the words of my post. My post has nothing to do with social justice per se, and everything to do with the mentality that we should let law firms and other employers have so much control over our destiny. I like money...I love money. If you want to make money, go do it, but have a plan besides, "I hope 'school X' accepts me because otherwise, I am fucked! I will never get the 'job' I want" Do you get it?

There's room for everyone to do what they want to do in the profession, and someone has to serve corporate clients. This is not about telling anyone that there's something wrpong with BigLaw. It's about people thinking so narrowly. If you think that's retarded, I really feel sorry for you. :wink:

Another thing: I realize that many of you will disagree with whatever I say because of my self tar, and that's cool. But you'll do yourself a huge favor if you accept the fact that A) I know I make a lot of sense and that's not going to change because people disagree with me, B) I am not going anywhere, C) you know when you shut the computer down that you agree with much of what I say but are too much of a coward to admit it in the public sphere, and D) some of you only disagree with me because I'm black.

If I were a white boy, you guys would be saying..."Dude...ur smack is so on point!" It's all good...just recognize that I know these things. I'm a soldier...and I'm much too strong for anyone here to intimidate me or try to fool me into thinking that I am the one with the problem.
I agree with a lot of what you say and I have no problem with your previous post, but, in all honesty, you denigrate the sacrifices our valiant young men and women make on the battlefield each and every day in comparing your "courage" to their own. You, sir, are no soldier. You are but a mediocre poster on an internet forum.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:54 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
PDaddy wrote:If I were a white boy, you guys would be saying..."Dude...ur smack is so on point!" It's all good...just recognize that I know these things. I'm a soldier...and I'm much too strong for anyone here to intimidate me or try to fool me into thinking that I am the one with the problem.

Quoted for posterity.
You know? You don't even count. The sad part is that you know it and continue to pull worthless garbage out of your ass every day.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:55 am

Boba Fett wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you say and I have no problem with your previous post, but, in all honesty, you denigrate the sacrifices our valiant young men and women make on the battlefield each and every day in comparing your "courage" to their own. You, sir, are no soldier. You are but a mediocre poster on an internet forum.
And I appreciate the validation. But you, sir, are making assumptions about my background... :wink:

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:02 am

PDaddy wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Quoted for posterity.
You know? You don't even count. The sad part is that you know it and continue to pull worthless garbage out of your ass every day.
She is right, I am useless :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:10 am

I'll tell you the secret of getting into Wachtell if you answer me this one simple question...

--ImageRemoved--

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:17 am

This thread is fantastic.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:43 am

PDaddy wrote:
You must be a 19-year-old rich white kid from the Hamptons. That's the type of person dumb enough to read a discourse on "social justice" in the words of my post. My post has nothing to do with social justice per se, and everything to do with the mentality that we should let law firms and other employers have so much control over our destiny. I like money; I love money. If you want to make money, go do it. But have a plan besides "I hope 'school X' accepts me because, otherwise, I am fucked! I will never get the 'job' I want otherwise."

Do you get it?

And to the dude who thinks you are not powerful enough to create anything just being who you are...why don't you say that in one of your essays to the law schools...see if they accept you.

JFK had a low LSAT score and failed the bar like three times. He was rich and connected, but no different from any of us otherwise. Give me the guy with no money who rolls up his sleeves and works his ass off over the spoiled, rich prettyboy every time.
I have a feeling that you'll get your butt kicked in law school (grade-wise and emotionally), and your response will either be (1) claim nonetheless that you kicked ass; or (2) rail against the system and tell everyone how you KNOW you'll be a great lawyer, so who cares what the law school grading system says - it's racist and arbitrary anyway.

Boba Fett

New

Post by Boba Fett » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:47 am

Unemployed wrote:I have a feeling that you'll get your butt kicked in law school (grade-wise and emotionally), and your response will either be (1) claim nonetheless that you kicked ass; or (2) rail against the system and tell everyone how you KNOW you'll be a great lawyer, so who cares what the law school grading system says - it's racist and arbitrary anyway.
Thank you for helping us meet the "u finna get yo ass spanked in law skool" argument quota.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:58 am

flcath wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:it is hard to imagine a job with less appeal
I'm pretty sure you could find something less appealing than $165,000/yr + 90-100% bonus.
$165K base salary?! With only another measly $150K bonus?!?! Pfff, get with the times, Mr. Fett. I wouldn't fix a parking ticket for that.

--LinkRemoved--

This link also supports OS's point, though.
HAHA this article was kidding bro.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:04 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Based on my current knowledge, I would not work at W,R,L&K. They could double the salary/bonus and I might consider it for a year. I'm not opposed to working at firms, but from the small amount of knowledge of the industry I have, they take the big law reputation to new lows (or highs, depending on your perspective).
Don't worry. They wouldn't consider hiring you even if you offered to pay them double the salary for the opportunity to work there.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:06 am

PDaddy = low quality flame

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:07 am

Unemployed wrote:"If you are going to WLRK, you know who you are. You've known who you were since before you even applied to law schools," says a friend from YLS who's not working for WLRK.

I still don't know, so I guess that's a no.
This is pretty much correct.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:23 am

I dont think it harms anyone ITT to admit that Pdiddy has a point. There are about 1000 threads on this board worrying about money (or the lack of it) after graduation for every one thread about doing something creative or interesting with your law degree.

I don't blame anyone for that. At the end of the day, I am not going to judge someone who admits that their goal is to get a nice salary with benefits+bonuses, then retire early.

You have to admit, though, it's a bit depressing to think that the best and brightest from the T-6 mostly get farmed out to Big Law. Those with all the resources in our society are generally the same people who have a vested interest in preventing any kind of radical social change from taking place. As a result, corporate America gets the most capable attorneys on its side of any given dispute, and the status quo is maintained.

I don't think the above is debatable (not that it is depressing, but that it does indeed play out that way most of the time). What is debatable is whether or not you want to see more regulations successfully placed on American corporations, or want to see a few more successful law suits filed against them. I, for one, would... but I dont get the feeling I'd be a majority in this particular thread.

EDIT: I just read the second post and this jumped out:
PDaddy wrote: . That's the type of person dumb enough to read a discourse on "social justice" in the words of my post. My post has nothing to do with social justice per se, and everything to do with the mentality that we should let law firms and other employers have so much control over our destiny. I like money; I love money.
Ok, I stand corrected... Where to begin?
I don't really know what I want to do with my degree when I'm done. I know it ain't biglaw, but I don't have the illusion that I could start a firm out of LS by myself and actually get any clients. Short of that, you are gonna have to get a job somewhere. That is just reality. The capability to branch out and go solo, or into partnership with a like minded few, will come with time and networking in the field you are passionate about.

I had actually hoped your first post was about working for social justice, because in that context it made a bit more sense.

King

New

Post by King » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:40 am

I remember checking the associate profiles on wachtell. All of them had the generic elite UG summa cum laude and HYS summa cum laude order of the coif. I just want to know if the elite UG is necessary for Wachtell.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:49 am

PDaddy wrote: If I were a white boy, you guys would be saying..."Dude...ur smack is so on point!" It's all good...just recognize that I know these things. I'm a soldier...and I'm much too strong for anyone here to intimidate me or try to fool me into thinking that I am the one with the problem.
People like you are a huge part of the racial problem in this country. You constantly see racism where none exists. Nobody gives two shits what your race is. You're in an internet forum for Christ's sake, and the only reason any of us know your race is because you constantly throw it in our faces.

Nobody here thinks your "smack" is on point. It wouldn't be on point if you were white, black, brown, green, orange, purple, or translucent.

People here don't dislike you because you're black. We dislike you because you're an idiot. HTH

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:50 am

Last edited by Oblomov on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”