Advice Needed: Toronto commute Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crymeariver

New

Advice Needed: Toronto commute

Post by crymeariver » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

So I'm Canadian and will be starting law school this Fall at Osgoode Hall located in Toronto and I'm not sure what I'm going to do regarding the commute. Osgoode is far from the downtown Toronto core and the housing options around the campus are extremely limited.
Here are the issues:

1) I can live at home and take public transit to school but it would be about a 1 hr 15 min bus ride each way. I'd save about 10k doing this.

2) I could live at home and drive, but it's a 40 min drive each way. And Toronto traffic can be hellish. Parking on campus, plus gas and car maintenance would be about 3k a year.

3) I could live on campus, but it would be about 10k a year. Luckily Osgoode has great 1 bedroom on campus housing but I HATED living in residence/dorm rooms during undergrad. I'm not the type of person who is suited for this lifestyle. I am hoping that law school residences are much different.

4) I could live off campus, within walking distance, but the housing near Osgoode is IMPOSSIBLE and extremely depressing. I'd be living in a low income neighbourhood that isn't close to anything.

I'm kind of learning towards the 1.15 hr commute because I'll save money but I'm the type of person who needs to study at libraries and that commute would really only work if I went home and studied every night (which I can't do). I'm also really afraid that the commute will be exhausting and I'll get burnout.

I don't know what to do! Any advice?

mac.empress

Bronze

Re: Advice Needed: Toronto commute

Post by mac.empress » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Try commuting for the 1.5 for the first semester. It IS extremely stressful for a bit but can be managed.

nvoight911

Bronze

Re: Advice Needed: Toronto commute

Post by nvoight911 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 pm

crymeariver wrote:Hi Everyone,

So I'm Canadian and will be starting law school this Fall at Osgoode Hall located in Toronto and I'm not sure what I'm going to do regarding the commute. Osgoode is far from the downtown Toronto core and the housing options around the campus are extremely limited.
Here are the issues:

1) I can live at home and take public transit to school but it would be about a 1 hr 15 min bus ride each way. I'd save about 10k doing this.

2) I could live at home and drive, but it's a 40 min drive each way. And Toronto traffic can be hellish. Parking on campus, plus gas and car maintenance would be about 3k a year.

3) I could live on campus, but it would be about 10k a year. Luckily Osgoode has great 1 bedroom on campus housing but I HATED living in residence/dorm rooms during undergrad. I'm not the type of person who is suited for this lifestyle. I am hoping that law school residences are much different.

4) I could live off campus, within walking distance, but the housing near Osgoode is IMPOSSIBLE and extremely depressing. I'd be living in a low income neighbourhood that isn't close to anything.

I'm kind of learning towards the 1.15 hr commute because I'll save money but I'm the type of person who needs to study at libraries and that commute would really only work if I went home and studied every night (which I can't do). I'm also really afraid that the commute will be exhausting and I'll get burnout.

I don't know what to do! Any advice?
I'm an Osgoode student who currently lives in Passy (the on campus apartments). I can honestly say everyone I have talked to has enjoyed their time living on campus. I have so much so that I intend to stay here next year.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”