Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
soullesswonder

Silver

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:10 am

solidsnake wrote:Why would anyone go to law school expecting anything other than to absolutely crush your classmates' skulls and eat their bones in a desperate blood-soaked climb to the top?
And here I thought my particular fetish was unique.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:21 am

Most of the women I know in my class are smarter than most of the men, so it's doubtful they come to get their MRSes.

And yeah, there's a fair amount of pairing up, but it isn't super widespread- more among the people you'd expect to pair up in any given situation.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:22 am

T14_Scholly wrote:Should I, a consultant, date one of my fellow classmates?
Hahahaha, amazing.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Should I, a consultant, date one of my fellow classmates? I mean I already have this great thing going with Jessica Alba, and she's like a upcoming movie star you know... but at the same time I'm just not feeling this movie career route, and my classmate who has a crush on me is an aspiring model who just inked a contract with Victoria's Secret. What do you guys think?
LOL

Note my edits.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 am

lawyering wrote:christ, what is this, 1800? i'm sorry dude...but more women are getting graduate degrees than men in many, many fields right now, and it's not because they are all trying to get MARRIED! with the way things are going, you men ought to try out for some MR degrees, cause your wives are going to be the ones supporting you later on!

/end rant.

HBK wrote:I've always wondered whether women who failed to get their MRS degree in undergrad extend their "education" by attending LS and other post-grad programs. Is this a prevalent phenomenon?

I'd figure it would be, considering how many people want to delay adulthood through more college. Some people just don't ever want to have a real job.
Reading comprehension fail. I'm sorry dudette, but you are clearly too wrapped up in your feminist mentality. I never said all female law/grad students only want to find a man to marry.

I was curious because people are getting married at older ages than previous. Women who may have gone to college with the mindset of finding a husband might not have succeeded because of this. If I put myself in the shoes of a woman whose goal is to find a husband, law school seems like a particularly good choice. The male law school students are generally smarter than your average college student, have ambition, and will likely have a decent job when they graduate. Additionally, if you don't care about finishing in the top 10%, 25%, or 50% of the class, law school can be fairly easy. Look at attrition rates- not many people fail out of law school. It's a gold digger paradise.

Plus, more women getting graduate degrees than men is a weak basis for an argument. It does nothing to disprove the notion that some women are going into grad school to find a mate. A better argument would be if you had provided statistics regarding post graduate employment for women v. men or if you looked at the average age of women entering post graduate work and compared that to their male peers.

Look, I know some women have this "feminism rah rah rah" mindset. They feel like they have to attack any statement that is critical of members of their sex. This is a stupid mentality. Just because something is true for you does not make it true for every woman. To believe that no woman in the history of law school attended hoping to find a husband is naive. Because some women's intentions may not live up to your feminist ideal is not adequate cause for you to state on behalf of your sex that such intentions don't exist. I know you want to root for your team, but sometimes you need to just sit back and realize that some of your players may not have your same mindset.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 am

T14_Scholly wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Should I, a consultant, date one of my fellow classmates? I mean I already have this great thing going with Jessica Alba, and she's like a upcoming movie star you know... but at the same time I'm just not feeling this movie career route, and my classmate who has a crush on me is an aspiring model who just inked a contract with Victoria's Secret. What do you guys think?
LOL

Note my edits.
:lol: :lol: :lol: perfection

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:47 am

For the guys okay with a little adult humor. (LinkRemoved)

As a guy, if I were single, I would run far away from law school to find a mate. YMMV depending on what it is, exactly, that you are looking for in a significant other.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:20 pm

I've always wondered whether women who failed to get their MRS degree in undergrad extend their "education" by attending LS and other post-grad programs. Is this a prevalent phenomenon?
I've seen a couple variations on it. One variation is the blatantly obvious back-up plan after finding out grades and realizing that you're not earning $160,000 yourself. I say obvious because the graviatation is towards the people who are known to have top-shelf jobs. Tip for the ladies: Everyone in school figured out exactly what you were doing almost instantly.

The other one is when someone realizes that the guy who is "gunning" about hedge fund taxation rules or dynastic trusts is doing it from life experience. I call it the "why are we even here" couple.

Also the "carry me" version - someone who wants to do public interest thinks the money end is best solved by latching onto someone who does firm work. The specifics of the finances of this are...questionable. Not recommended unless you've taken family law and T&E.

-

The other thing about law school dating is that, well, you know that statistic that 1/100 people are some varation of psychopath? Law school is a non-random sample that, in admission, selects pretty strongly for "do whatever it takes (so long as you haven't been caught too badly/recently)." Not just the guys, either. One of the worst relationships I've seen involved a guy who was a big time player (hitting on undergrads with his J.D. anticipated, etc.) who was trying to seduce a very, very pretty gunner. People have since concluded that said gunner is, more or less a non-violent version of Patrick Bateman. Player didn't get the better end of the attempted relationship manipulation, put it that way...
Last edited by ScaredWorkedBored on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dontstopbelivin

New

Post by dontstopbelivin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:34 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Should I, a consultant, date one of my fellow classmates?
Hahahaha, amazing.
Hey, don't hate on all consultants! Some of us are normal people too. Should I, a consultant, be mocked for my fellow practitioner's awkward postings?

Although I must admit this still makes me laugh, in part because I know people like this at work...

But you do realize that what you're thinking about this dude is what most people think of lawyers! When I tell people what I do for a living, they look confused. When I tell them I'm going to become a lawyer, they look horrified. Ah the joys of my career path...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Yeah -- a hiring partner

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 am

No. I've been consistently in serious relationships since the age of 14 . . . I have forgotten what it feels like to be single or want to meet someone.
Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:17 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02049.html

HBK wrote:
lawyering wrote:christ, what is this, 1800? i'm sorry dude...but more women are getting graduate degrees than men in many, many fields right now, and it's not because they are all trying to get MARRIED! with the way things are going, you men ought to try out for some MR degrees, cause your wives are going to be the ones supporting you later on!

/end rant.

HBK wrote:I've always wondered whether women who failed to get their MRS degree in undergrad extend their "education" by attending LS and other post-grad programs. Is this a prevalent phenomenon?

I'd figure it would be, considering how many people want to delay adulthood through more college. Some people just don't ever want to have a real job.
Reading comprehension fail. I'm sorry dudette, but you are clearly too wrapped up in your feminist mentality. I never said all female law/grad students only want to find a man to marry.

I was curious because people are getting married at older ages than previous. Women who may have gone to college with the mindset of finding a husband might not have succeeded because of this. If I put myself in the shoes of a woman whose goal is to find a husband, law school seems like a particularly good choice. The male law school students are generally smarter than your average college student, have ambition, and will likely have a decent job when they graduate. Additionally, if you don't care about finishing in the top 10%, 25%, or 50% of the class, law school can be fairly easy. Look at attrition rates- not many people fail out of law school. It's a gold digger paradise.

Plus, more women getting graduate degrees than men is a weak basis for an argument. It does nothing to disprove the notion that some women are going into grad school to find a mate. A better argument would be if you had provided statistics regarding post graduate employment for women v. men or if you looked at the average age of women entering post graduate work and compared that to their male peers.

Look, I know some women have this "feminism rah rah rah" mindset. They feel like they have to attack any statement that is critical of members of their sex. This is a stupid mentality. Just because something is true for you does not make it true for every woman. To believe that no woman in the history of law school attended hoping to find a husband is naive. Because some women's intentions may not live up to your feminist ideal is not adequate cause for you to state on behalf of your sex that such intentions don't exist. I know you want to root for your team, but sometimes you need to just sit back and realize that some of your players may not have your same mindset.

Renaixença

New

Post by Renaixença » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:32 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Even dating Col[o]mbians strikes me as dangerous
Dangerous indeed. Mami, tu con tantas curvas y yo sin frenos:

--ImageRemoved--

¡Peligrosa!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ddp

New

Post by ddp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:01 am

Renaixença wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Even dating Col[o]mbians strikes me as dangerous
Dangerous indeed. Mami, tu con tantas curvas y yo sin frenos:

--ImageRemoved--

¡Peligrosa!
No chicks at law school even half this hot

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”