What do you do for money in Law School, especially as a 1L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jamaicanjynx

New

Re: What do you do for money in Law School, especially as a 1L

Post by jamaicanjynx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:52 pm

underachiever wrote:
kurla88 wrote:I think most people live off some combination of savings + student loans.
+1...plus being very thrifty, i.e. i spend 35$ a week on food (fruits, veggies and chicken) & only go out 1 night a week to save $

Thrifty FTW

chicken
rice/pasta bought in bulk to get discounts
ramen for lazy days
limited fruits and veggies (which will likely come back to haunt me later but they are so expensive at my nearest supermarket)

You'd be surprised at how much you can save by not eating out and bringing lunch everyday.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:58 pm

macattaq wrote:Hustle.
Do odd jobs for people in your neighborhood.
Pick up some easy on-campus employment. The law library and undergrad library are the usual suspects. Sometimes you can find on-campus work that only wants a grad student. These pay more, and are a bit cushier. Whatever you do, make sure your job entails lots of sitting, and you'll be golden.
Use a skill that you had prior to LS and make some money from that. Lifeguarding, math/science/language tutoring all come to mind.
Sell plasma for drinking money. You get ~$20 and you instantly become a lightweight. Win-win!

Just get creative, and don't operate with a perspective that goes something like the following: "I am a law student, therefore, anything that involves using my hand or non-law muscles is beneath me." If you do those things, you won't hurt for extra money.

TITCR

Kat.Ander

New

Post by Kat.Ander » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Work your ass off right now. SAVE SAVE SAVE SAVE. I'm going to school right now and working 15 hours a week and this summer I'm working 40 hours a week while living at my parents house. I'll have enough money to get through 1L and then I'm counting on clerkships after 1L and 2L to pay the living expenses during 2L and 3L.

Also, I wouldn't recommend it but you could sell your plasma for $50-$100 a week which would be 2-3 donations/week.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Dance

jelizabeth88

New

Post by jelizabeth88 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:07 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
macattaq wrote:Hustle.
Do odd jobs for people in your neighborhood.
Pick up some easy on-campus employment. The law library and undergrad library are the usual suspects. Sometimes you can find on-campus work that only wants a grad student. These pay more, and are a bit cushier. Whatever you do, make sure your job entails lots of sitting, and you'll be golden.
Use a skill that you had prior to LS and make some money from that. Lifeguarding, math/science/language tutoring all come to mind.
Sell plasma for drinking money. You get ~$20 and you instantly become a lightweight. Win-win!

Just get creative, and don't operate with a perspective that goes something like the following: "I am a law student, therefore, anything that involves using my hand or non-law muscles is beneath me." If you do those things, you won't hurt for extra money.

TITCR
+1 Just be like Sam's call girl in the West Wing. Thaz classy, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 am

--ImageRemoved--

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 am

jamaicanjynx wrote:
underachiever wrote:
kurla88 wrote:I think most people live off some combination of savings + student loans.
+1...plus being very thrifty, i.e. i spend 35$ a week on food (fruits, veggies and chicken) & only go out 1 night a week to save $

Thrifty FTW

chicken
rice/pasta bought in bulk to get discounts
ramen for lazy days
limited fruits and veggies (which will likely come back to haunt me later but they are so expensive at my nearest supermarket)

You'd be surprised at how much you can save by not eating out and bringing lunch everyday.
FTW indeed. Same here.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:10 am

Um, max out your loans, and play roulette with your future financial wellbeing...Have your mom cosign or something to get as much as you can at a decent rate. But be aware that statistically you are an idiot.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:14 am

Live frugally. Live off the land.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikcou

Bronze

Post by mikcou » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 pm

underachiever wrote:
+1. I somehow have managed to get down to about $100-110 a month for food.

mikcou

Bronze

Post by mikcou » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:20 pm

Kat.Ander wrote:Work your ass off right now. SAVE SAVE SAVE SAVE. I'm going to school right now and working 15 hours a week and this summer I'm working 40 hours a week while living at my parents house. I'll have enough money to get through 1L and then I'm counting on clerkships after 1L and 2L to pay the living expenses during 2L and 3L.

Also, I wouldn't recommend it but you could sell your plasma for $50-$100 a week which would be 2-3 donations/week.
Also this, although I'm only working 12 a week right now.

iwakeboard

Platinum

Post by iwakeboard » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:32 pm

I work full time, hth

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”