Transferring as 2L (3-semesters) Is this possible? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
enigmatome

New

Transferring as 2L (3-semesters) Is this possible?

Post by enigmatome » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:19 am

I'm wondering if transferring as a 2L is possible, and whether there are resources? A lot has happened as a result of COVID that make studying in my current school no longer feasible as it is only a regional school. I'm wondering if transferring is possible at this point if I apply as a regular 1L intending to enter (and basically repeat) 2L at a transfer school.

I am looking at Georgetown/Northwestern/Cornell. Am currently T50, top 5% (3.94) and on two journals, so I feel my odds are pretty good, but I am unsure of whether such a transfer is possible and what issues might arise with potentially repeating a year. I am aware I will be incurring a lot of debt transferring, but I was fortunate to have a full scholarship at my current school so I would be paying the equivalent of what other transfers would.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

cavalier1138

Re: Transferring as 2L (3-semesters) Is this possible?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:26 am

No, it's not. Georgetown explicitly disallows it on their site, and I doubt any other schools would permit the arrangement you're envisioning.

But this confuses me:
enigmatome wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:19 am
A lot has happened as a result of COVID that make studying in my current school no longer feasible as it is only a regional school.
The pandemic has obviously had a massive effect on law schools, but I'm not clear on why your current school's regional nature prevents you from completing your JD there in ways that Georgetown/Northwestern/Cornell wouldn't.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Re: Transferring as 2L (3-semesters) Is this possible?

Post by Lawman1865 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Unfortunately, while COVID has disrupted things, I doubt this is something a school will do. First, before even getting to the question of if you should transfer, "why" you should transfer should be an important question. Presumably you didn't do this when you were still a 1L, so were you fine then? You have a full scholly, on two journals, and near the top of your class, which gives you a strong position in your regional area and possibly on a national level as well. I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to study in the regional school, but I agree with cavalier that I don't see why this would change at a different school. A library is a library.

Additionally, I don't think I've ever heard of a school allowing a transfer to "repeat" a year in the way that you mean. At this point, my advice is to appreciate that you are doing exceptionally well at a T50, with minimal debt, which should place you on a good starting ground for your legal career. If OCI is starting soon, I would focus all my efforts on nailing your interviews and trying to get a good job.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”