Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 350616
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:39 pm

I recently was accepted to a T14 law school as a transfer student. I really regret my decision saying no. It has caused me so much depression the past couple of weeks. I didn't feel like I had enough time to make a decision. How likely would it be for a school to let in a student after saying no?

User avatar
cavalier1138

Moderator
Posts: 7382
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:00 am

Considering most schools have already started, I think any chance of changing your mind has passed.

zoeharts

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:17 pm

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by zoeharts » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:17 pm

There was a post on reddit (that has now been deleted) of someone getting into UPenn as a transfer and making the choice to stay at their low ranked T2 (I believe the school was ranked 80 to 90?). Sounds like you are in a similar position OP.

I think it is highly unlikely a school is willing to take you after you have rejected their offer. And, most schools have already completed one week of classes as this point.

For future transfer applicants: It can be tempting to stay at you current school because you have gotten "comfortable" there. However, it is important to remember that you decided to apply to transfer for a reason. Make your decision carefully and don't be seduced into staying in your comfort zone.

proudgunner

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by proudgunner » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:43 pm

zoeharts wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:17 pm
There was a post on reddit (that has now been deleted) of someone getting into UPenn as a transfer and making the choice to stay at their low ranked T2 (I believe the school was ranked 80 to 90?). Sounds like you are in a similar position OP.

I think it is highly unlikely a school is willing to take you after you have rejected their offer. And, most schools have already completed one week of classes as this point.

For future transfer applicants: It can be tempting to stay at you current school because you have gotten "comfortable" there. However, it is important to remember that you decided to apply to transfer for a reason. Make your decision carefully and don't be seduced into staying in your comfort zone.
This. ^^^

beyond22

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by beyond22 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:31 pm

I wouldn't transfer to a T14 in this pandemic/economy. I imagine you have aid at your current school. Classes are going to be online. It will be harder to build relationships with faculty and students as a transfer. Giving up aid and signing up for more loans is not a financially prudent decision. There's no telling what the economy would look like when you graduate. I transferred a few years ago and wouldn't do so in this economy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


letsee456

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by letsee456 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:27 pm

beyond22 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:31 pm
I wouldn't transfer to a T14 in this pandemic/economy. I imagine you have aid at your current school. Classes are going to be online. It will be harder to build relationships with faculty and students as a transfer. Giving up aid and signing up for more loans is not a financially prudent decision. There's no telling what the economy would look like when you graduate. I transferred a few years ago and wouldn't do so in this economy.
I would imagine transferring would be even more prudent given the economy (especially into the T6).

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by KPUSN07 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am

If OP has a full scholarship ride at his T2 and then takes on 150K in loans at a T14 - how financially prudent is that??

Pennoyer v. Meh

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:06 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am
If OP has a full scholarship ride at his T2 and then takes on 150K in loans at a T14 - how financially prudent is that??
Depends on the quality of the job he's able to get from his T14 versus his T2, especially in this market.

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by KPUSN07 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:28 pm

Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:06 am
KPUSN07 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am
If OP has a full scholarship ride at his T2 and then takes on 150K in loans at a T14 - how financially prudent is that??
Depends on the quality of the job he's able to get from his T14 versus his T2, especially in this market.
Assume he gets a big firm NYC job paying 190K, but with 150K in loans OR he gets a mid to big firm job in regional / secondary market paying 120+ - what is the more prudent choice? I am more debt averse, and the debt saddles you to big law for at least 5+ years whereas maybe the T2 does not (although the T2 does limit professional opportunities).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


letsee456

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by letsee456 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:34 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:28 pm
Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:06 am
KPUSN07 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am
If OP has a full scholarship ride at his T2 and then takes on 150K in loans at a T14 - how financially prudent is that??
Depends on the quality of the job he's able to get from his T14 versus his T2, especially in this market.
Assume he gets a big firm NYC job paying 190K, but with 150K in loans OR he gets a mid to big firm job in regional / secondary market paying 120+ - what is the more prudent choice? I am more debt averse, and the debt saddles you to big law for at least 5+ years whereas maybe the T2 does not (although the T2 does limit professional opportunities).
This is incredibly short sighted.

nixy

Gold
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by nixy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 pm

letsee456 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:34 pm
KPUSN07 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:28 pm
Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:06 am
KPUSN07 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am
If OP has a full scholarship ride at his T2 and then takes on 150K in loans at a T14 - how financially prudent is that??
Depends on the quality of the job he's able to get from his T14 versus his T2, especially in this market.
Assume he gets a big firm NYC job paying 190K, but with 150K in loans OR he gets a mid to big firm job in regional / secondary market paying 120+ - what is the more prudent choice? I am more debt averse, and the debt saddles you to big law for at least 5+ years whereas maybe the T2 does not (although the T2 does limit professional opportunities).
This is incredibly short sighted.
I mean, it's entirely personal preference, so not really, if it doesn't fit with your personal values and goals.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 8088
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Rescinding Transfer School Withdrawal

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:15 pm

nixy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 pm
letsee456 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:34 pm
KPUSN07 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:28 pm
Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:06 am
KPUSN07 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am
If OP has a full scholarship ride at his T2 and then takes on 150K in loans at a T14 - how financially prudent is that??
Depends on the quality of the job he's able to get from his T14 versus his T2, especially in this market.
Assume he gets a big firm NYC job paying 190K, but with 150K in loans OR he gets a mid to big firm job in regional / secondary market paying 120+ - what is the more prudent choice? I am more debt averse, and the debt saddles you to big law for at least 5+ years whereas maybe the T2 does not (although the T2 does limit professional opportunities).
This is incredibly short sighted.
I mean, it's entirely personal preference, so not really, if it doesn't fit with your personal values and goals.
Yep. The decision is going to be different for each individual, but I don't think every person who applies to transfer does so thinking that he or she will definitely transfer. I know that when I applied I wanted the option, but I wasn't sure I wanted to do it. Comfort matters. The relationships you build as a 1L matter. Keeping your top-of-class status and faculty support matter. I ultimately ended up not transferring. I do not regret it.

Although, if I had gotten into a HYS school, I probably would have. I didn't feel like the pros outweighed the cons with the other t14 schools. On occasion, I questioned that choice, but being where I am now, I am happy I made the decision I did. This is a very personal decision. I don't think transferring is the best choice for everybody. OP, you might end up being happy with your choice down the line. We'll have to wait and see (I can't offer any help on whether it's too late to change your decision, unfortunately).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”