UF or Emory

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
billxcarter

New

UF or Emory

Post by billxcarter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Greetings all,

I’m pretty sure I know the answer based on what I’ve read here thus far. But I figure I’ll ask anyway. I want to work at a large firm in Atlanta preferably but I’d be willing to work in Soflo. I’ve been admitted to both Emory (at sticker) or UF (in state tuition). I like Emory more as an institution but in terms of my goals which would make me more competitive for a large salary in the southeast or DC area post grad?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: UF or Emory

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Depends on a lot of things. What's the total difference in cost of attendance for the two schools? How strong is your preference for Emory? I'm guessing that "I like Emory more as an institution" means that your preference is stronger than, say, the sum of all practical considerations (being in Atlanta, higher-ranked school, etc.) for choosing Emory over UF.

Emory will open more doors and make an eventual DC play easier, and it places much better in Atlanta biglaw. It's worth noting that DC is tough/competitive even for T14 people with good grades, let alone non-T14 transfer students without ties to DC. South FL is hard without ties also, but Emory places pretty well there. You've got a lot of variables to solve for here, but the main question is not whether Emory would give you more and better options for your goals (it will) but whether the increased/improved options are worth the extra money.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm

So about a third of the class at Emory gets biglaw/fed clerkship at all. I'm pretty sure a good portion of those students go to NY, where most of the biglaw jobs are.

If your goal is Atlanta biglaw, then you need to recognize that Emory doesn't seem like it gives you a great shot unless you're in the top of the class, and there's no guarantee that you'll be in the top of the class.

At best, you're talking about taking out like a quarter of a million dollars for a 35% chance at any biglaw, and probably less of a chance for Atlanta, since it's a small market.

You should SERIOUSLY think about that.

billxcarter

New

Post by billxcarter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:19 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm
So about a third of the class at Emory gets biglaw/fed clerkship at all. I'm pretty sure a good portion of those students go to NY, where most of the biglaw jobs are.

If your goal is Atlanta biglaw, then you need to recognize that Emory doesn't seem like it gives you a great shot unless you're in the top of the class, and there's no guarantee that you'll be in the top of the class.

At best, you're talking about taking out like a quarter of a million dollars for a 35% chance at any biglaw, and probably less of a chance for Atlanta, since it's a small market.

Well I think that the sentiment about being in the top of the class is true of most if not all law schools in terms of big law placement, that’s not unique to Emory. I’d be surprised to find out that they do not place well, if not the best in Atlanta. Where are you getting that information?
Are you saying that you would likely go to UF over Emory?

billxcarter

New

Post by billxcarter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:21 pm

decimalsanddollars wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:34 pm
Depends on a lot of things. What's the total difference in cost of attendance for the two schools? How strong is your preference for Emory? I'm guessing that "I like Emory more as an institution" means that your preference is stronger than, say, the sum of all practical considerations (being in Atlanta, higher-ranked school, etc.) for choosing Emory over UF.

Emory will open more doors and make an eventual DC play easier, and it places much better in Atlanta biglaw. It's worth noting that DC is tough/competitive even for T14 people with good grades, let alone non-T14 transfer students without ties to DC. South FL is hard without ties also, but Emory places pretty well there. You've got a lot of variables to solve for here, but the main question is not whether Emory would give you more and better options for your goals (it will) but whether the increased/improved options are worth the extra money.
In terms of my preference, it’s mostly my love for the city as opposed to Gainesville as well as my experience during visits. However Emory will cost 35k more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

billxcarter

New

Post by billxcarter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:29 pm

I am a AA male if that helps at all

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:34 pm

billxcarter wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Dcc617 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Well I think that the sentiment about being in the top of the class is true of most if not all law schools in terms of big law placement, that’s not unique to Emory. I’d be surprised to find out that they do not place well, if not the best in Atlanta. Where are you getting that information?
Are you saying that you would likely go to UF over Emory?
Lst Score Reports for employment info. https://www.lstreports.com/

Generally, if the goal is biglaw then you should shoot for T14, since biglaw is achievable from median.

Biglaw is also very tough from UF. I think it's like 25% of the class. They being said, if you end up around median then you probably won't get biglaw or Atlanta biglaw from either school, but your debt level will be wya different.

If you're paying sticker, then basically the only job that can cover that is biglaw.

So you should look at your goals, debt load, and likely employment outcomes to see if they match.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:35 pm

If you're biglaw or bust then probably retake for T14, and understand that the vast majority of biglaw jobs are in NY.

billxcarter

New

Post by billxcarter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:50 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:35 pm
If you're biglaw or bust then probably retake for T14, and understand that the vast majority of biglaw jobs are in NY.
I’m a transfer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:03 pm

billxcarter wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:50 pm
Dcc617 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:35 pm
I’m a transfer
Oh, sorry, that wasn't clear at all from the OP. Then you're in an entirely different position.

I'm that case I'd look at what firms go to each OCI (especially now, given covid), and how each school works for transfers.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:30 pm

Idk if Emory is $35k more total over the two relevant years or per year, but if it's total, I think Emory is the better choice. If it's per year, much harder decision---and I would probably say UF is a marginally better economic choice, but choosing Emory for personal reasons would be defensible.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:34 pm

Yeah, but OP is a transfer student with presumably good grades at their current law school. The analysis should swing on how many more firms/how interviews OP can get from Emory vs UF. If it's largely the same, then the extra money may not be worth it.

OP needs to research OCI at both schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”