UF Law or Houston??

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
9531SchoolofLaw

New

UF Law or Houston??

Post by 9531SchoolofLaw » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:20 pm

I have been accepted to both schools. Goal is to end up in Biglaw either in DC, FL, or TX. If anyone has some insightful information on either school please let me know!

cavalier1138

Re: UF Law or Houston??

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Cost of attendance at each?

UH shouldn't be in the running at all if you want biglaw. But neither of these schools is likely to put you in DC, so you should decide whether you'd prefer Florida or Texas for practice. And if you want Texas, then retake for a score that gets you UT or a T13.

9531SchoolofLaw

New

Post by 9531SchoolofLaw » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:57 pm

32k per year at Houston. Also, wouldn’t have to pay rent as I have a sister there.

About 38-39k at UF.

I would be coming in as a transfer. I like Texas and wouldn’t mind practicing there. Just don’t like the Houston area. I do enjoy Florida but not sure about how big the legal market is.

BobLoblaw18

New

Post by BobLoblaw18 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 pm

Neither

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:58 pm

BobLoblaw18 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 pm
Neither
If OP is transferring, they're presumably leaving a TTT behind, and I'd therefore go Florida because it gives OP a snowball's chance at a normal career and maybe, one day, paying their owns. Houston would be the better choice if okay with actually living in or near Houston, because it's a bit cheaper, but it's a wack choice if Houston is the one part of TX OP doesn't like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:58 pm
BobLoblaw18 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 pm
Neither
If OP is transferring, they're presumably leaving a TTT behind, and I'd therefore go Florida because it gives OP a snowball's chance at a normal career and maybe, one day, paying their owns. Houston would be the better choice if okay with actually living in or near Houston, because it's a bit cheaper, but it's a wack choice if Houston is the one part of TX OP doesn't like.
Yeah. I moved this to the Transfer forum, because that totally changes the calculus.

OP: Where do you currently go (general rank is fine), and do you have a scholarship? What's your class rank/GPA? Do you have ties to Florida or Texas?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am

https://www.law.ufl.edu/law/wp-content/ ... -Grads.pdf

https://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/ABA/U ... 202019.pdf

I linked both UH / UF 509 employment reports - both place about 20-21% into big law (100+ attorneys); I actually considered UF, but the 20% for me against a class of 331 where they likely had a leg up in FL networking made me pause and reconsider my plans. There are 12 graduates who went to DC, but I'm willing to bet working in some govt agency, not big law. I just don't think the opportunity to work big law as a transfer to UF is that great - lack of networking compared to those already there and 1/5 get that type of opportunity - assumingly they these ppl are likely in the top 25% of the class.

UH is likely exclusively TX and probably even more just Houston - so if that's a preferred location then go for it, but again, big law is 20% - presumably bigger centralized market than UF, but you'll need to network your rear end off in Houston to get a foot in the door; 100 less graduates to compete with.

I'd be curious what the career development offices pitch to you regarding your goals?

9531SchoolofLaw

New

Post by 9531SchoolofLaw » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:32 pm

I attended a T4. Even though T4 schools aren’t ranked, this most likely would be at the bottom lol most people who apply get it. They allow people with 142s to get in. Super predatory school. No ties to Florida but I have a sister in Houston. I’d prefer to work in Dallas or Austin compared to Houston. The traffic is killer. I would have to pay any rent if I moved to Houston and her place is like 5 minutes from campus.

9531SchoolofLaw

New

Post by 9531SchoolofLaw » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 pm

I finished with a 3.68. Top 10% with law review and moot court

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:40 pm

If you're set on leaving your current school and have no other options, I'd go to UF. Just know that neither school has excellent biglaw placement, and you should only go to law school where you want to work. If you want DC and are willing to do anything to get there, transfer to UF, try to clerk, and then try for biglaw/bigfed. Despite your great law school performance so far, you've got a bit more ladder to climb than most people gunning for the DC market.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:04 pm

9531SchoolofLaw wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:32 pm
I attended a T4. Even though T4 schools aren’t ranked, this most likely would be at the bottom lol most people who apply get it. They allow people with 142s to get in. Super predatory school. No ties to Florida but I have a sister in Houston. I’d prefer to work in Dallas or Austin compared to Houston. The traffic is killer. I would have to pay any rent if I moved to Houston and her place is like 5 minutes from campus.
The traffic is worse in Austin. Look if you don't want to live in Houston, you simply cannot consider UH. That is where it will carry the most weight. You need to seriously consider where you want to live as these are regional schools. And the UH "region" is Houston.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:02 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am
https://www.law.ufl.edu/law/wp-content/ ... -Grads.pdf

https://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/ABA/U ... 202019.pdf

I linked both UH / UF 509 employment reports - both place about 20-21% into big law (100+ attorneys); I actually considered UF, but the 20% for me against a class of 331 where they likely had a leg up in FL networking made me pause and reconsider my plans. There are 12 graduates who went to DC, but I'm willing to bet working in some govt agency, not big law. I just don't think the opportunity to work big law as a transfer to UF is that great - lack of networking compared to those already there and 1/5 get that type of opportunity - assumingly they these ppl are likely in the top 25% of the class.

UH is likely exclusively TX and probably even more just Houston - so if that's a preferred location then go for it, but again, big law is 20% - presumably bigger centralized market than UF, but you'll need to network your rear end off in Houston to get a foot in the door; 100 less graduates to compete with.

I'd be curious what the career development offices pitch to you regarding your goals?
One or two UF law grads end up in D.C. biglaw each year, but they're not transfers. Realistically speaking, it'll be difficult to get biglaw at UF or Houston. The one thing that could work in OP's favor is if OCI is in the spring and OP has a great first semester.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 am

decimalsanddollars wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:40 pm
If you're set on leaving your current school and have no other options, I'd go to UF. Just know that neither school has excellent biglaw placement, and you should only go to law school where you want to work. If you want DC and are willing to do anything to get there, transfer to UF, try to clerk, and then try for biglaw/bigfed. Despite your great law school performance so far, you've got a bit more ladder to climb than most people gunning for the DC market.
The bright side about UF - FL living is not bad! Get a nice firm job in Tampa / Clearwater and enjoy the beach

texanslimjim

New

Post by texanslimjim » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:05 pm

lol @ liking Texas generally but just not Houston. Austin and Dallas are not better than Houston in terms of cost of living, weather, traffic, or anything like that. Austin is slightly better than the other two for nightlife, live music, and outdoors (proximity to hills and rivers). That's it.

So either you don't actually like Texas and you should go to Florida, or get over your Houston hate and go to UH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”