Chances of Transferring to NYU/Columbia

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mooshamoc

New

Chances of Transferring to NYU/Columbia

Post by mooshamoc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:12 pm

Sorry for posting another "what are my chances" thread, but with my school implementing a mandatory pass/fail grading system for the Spring 2020 semester I am at a serious loss for how it will impact transfer acceptance.

I am at a lower ranked school (TTT, I believe) with a 3.78 GPA and ranked at 5%. I was optimistic about giving my GPA and rank a boost after this semester but since my school has implemented a mandatory pass/fail grading system it is likely my GPA will remain the same and unlikely that my rank will increase (GPA will only decrease if a class is failed). Also, for what its worth, my LSAT was 157 and I had an undergraduate GPA of 3.9 while working 30-35 hours a week and graduating in 3 years.

I decided against applying to Fordham since I won't be eligible for OCI, and that is my main purpose for transferring. That leaves me with transfer applications to Columbia and NYU. Both schools have communicated to me that a pass/fail grading system "won't impact" transfer acceptance and a passing grade for this semester will suffice for transferring credits.

Just some more information about my position at my current school and weighing the pros and cons of transferring:

I am currently on a full scholarship, have been offered a legal writing TA position for next year, have an interview with a judge for a Fall 2020 externship (close to where I live and my current school), and plan on participating in my schools writing competition and Moot Court Board application process.

If I were to transfer to either NYU or Columbia, assuming my acceptance, I would have to take the train into the city everyday, something that isn't quite desired post-pandemic. But, for the benefit of job prospects I'd be willing to do it anyway.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Re: Chances of Transferring to NYU/Columbia

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Sun May 03, 2020 2:54 pm

I am also a transfer applicant with almost the same first term GPA but from a T1. I think you should get into NYU and Columbia may be a coin toss. I've talked to multiple transfer students at NYU and Columbia and in a normal cycle, you would have gotten a biglaw job out of either as a transfer. Money is an important consideration. I also have a full-ride and but for COVID, I would have gotten a biglaw job out of my school and won't have considered transferring. Very tricky cycle. Good luck! Feel free to PM if you want to discuss further.

zg43

New

Post by zg43 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:39 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:I am also a transfer applicant with almost the same first term GPA but from a T1. I think you should get into NYU and Columbia may be a coin toss. I've talked to multiple transfer students at NYU and Columbia and in a normal cycle, you would have gotten a biglaw job out of either as a transfer. Money is an important consideration. I also have a full-ride and but for COVID, I would have gotten a biglaw job out of my school and won't have considered transferring. Very tricky cycle. Good luck! Feel free to PM if you want to discuss further.
Why are you assuming COVID will affect your job prospects at your current school and not one you transfer to?

mooshamoc

New

Post by mooshamoc » Sun May 03, 2020 4:03 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:I am also a transfer applicant with almost the same first term GPA but from a T1. I think you should get into NYU and Columbia may be a coin toss. I've talked to multiple transfer students at NYU and Columbia and in a normal cycle, you would have gotten a biglaw job out of either as a transfer. Money is an important consideration. I also have a full-ride and but for COVID, I would have gotten a biglaw job out of my school and won't have considered transferring. Very tricky cycle. Good luck! Feel free to PM if you want to discuss further.
Thanks for the reply and the information! I've read that schools may be inclined to accept more transfers because of the pandemic to try and increase their tuition income, but who knows. I think everyone is equally clueless. I'm sure you have your reasons for considering transferring but I think a full-ride at a T1 sounds like a sweet deal. Best of luck to you as well!

zoeharts

New

Post by zoeharts » Mon May 04, 2020 2:05 am

The rank of your law school matters for schools like Columbia and NYU. They seem to mostly accept students from T1 and T2 schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mooshamoc

New

Post by mooshamoc » Mon May 04, 2020 9:41 am

zoeharts wrote:The rank of your law school matters for schools like Columbia and NYU. They seem to mostly accept students from T1 and T2 schools.
That's what I've heard. I think my school might be ranked low T2-high T3 and is regional, if that makes a difference. Based on 509 reports Columbia has accepted a sparse number of transfers from my school over the past few years but I wasn't able to find any on NYU's 509 within the last 5 years or so.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon May 04, 2020 2:22 pm

zg43 wrote:
Why are you assuming COVID will affect your job prospects at your current school and not one you transfer to?
Thanks for your post. Well, I am not assuming that. I am sure it will affect both schools. But I am an international student. Most international students have a tough time at my school since it caters to a secondary market. So, I might be disparately impacted if this market is more adversely affected. NYC offices are slightly more open to international students especially if they are from the top 6 schools. Plus, if things don't work out here (job or visa-wise), I might need to head back to my home country where brands matter a lot. My plan is to apply and based on the offers I get, I will take a call in the end of June (when things hopefully would be a little clearer than now). I am far from concluding that a T6 would be better. Just exploring my options.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon May 04, 2020 2:24 pm

mooshamoc wrote:
Thanks for the reply and the information! I've read that schools may be inclined to accept more transfers because of the pandemic to try and increase their tuition income, but who knows. I think everyone is equally clueless. I'm sure you have your reasons for considering transferring but I think a full-ride at a T1 sounds like a sweet deal. Best of luck to you as well!
Thank you! You are right. Everyone's clueless. The outcome is beyond our control. We just gotta send in the best possible apps and wait.

zoeharts

New

Post by zoeharts » Mon May 04, 2020 4:54 pm

mooshamoc wrote:
zoeharts wrote:The rank of your law school matters for schools like Columbia and NYU. They seem to mostly accept students from T1 and T2 schools.
That's what I've heard. I think my school might be ranked low T2-high T3 and is regional, if that makes a difference. Based on 509 reports Columbia has accepted a sparse number of transfers from my school over the past few years but I wasn't able to find any on NYU's 509 within the last 5 years or so.
The fact that Columbia has accepted students from your school in the past is a great sign. It's worth a shot.
As for NYU, your GPA is above the 75th percentile for the past 5 years according to their 509 reports so I think you may have a good shot.

Applications to transfer may be down this year so may the odds be in your favor. Good Luck!

plurilingue

Bronze

Post by plurilingue » Mon May 04, 2020 6:38 pm

Blanket the T14 and see where the chips land. You could end up with nothing better than GULC, or you could end up with several offers. It’s really a crapshoot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”