Transfer Concerns

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer Concerns

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:37 pm

So, I am thinking about applying ED to Chicago. However, my concern is that once I’m in, I’m in. So, I really have to think about some of these big questions now. One of the questions is, who do you think has a better shot out of law school? A T2 grad in the top ten percent of her class? Or a T14 grad in the median? I would not mind ending up in the same position I would at my T2 school. It’s worth the risk. I’m only worried about doing worse. What do you think? How concerned should I be? This whole process has been so hard on me. :(

ignorantfoot96

New

Re: Transfer Concerns

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I am thinking about applying ED to Chicago. However, my concern is that once I’m in, I’m in. So, I really have to think about some of these big questions now. One of the questions is, who do you think has a better shot out of law school? A T2 grad in the top ten percent of her class? Or a T14 grad in the median? I would not mind ending up in the same position I would at my T2 school. It’s worth the risk. I’m only worried about doing worse. What do you think? How concerned should I be? This whole process has been so hard on me. :(
This is going to come off more harsh than I mean it, but a top 10% at a T2 likely would not get in early decision Chicago (possibly get in through regular decision depending on GPA). Granted, that is different if you are within the top 10% but really like top 1% (because some schools do not provide all the cut offs). But, I think each transfer is a very personal choice. If you are comfortable being in the region your school is in, I don't think it is worth it to transfer. But, if you want more degree mobility and the financial aspects are okay than a transfer seems worth it. It really comes down to your current scholarship situation and what your career aspirations are, but also I think overall (and this is VERY general) a T14 median grad is going to get more looks by employers than top 10% at a tier 2 school. But, that depends on the region, school's reputation in that region, and what job you actually want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:58 pm

No hard feelings :) I understand that it is a long-shot. I’m just hoping to get as much edge as I can from the COVID-19.

“ I think overall (and this is VERY general) a T14 median grad is going to get more looks by employers than top 10% at a tier 2 school.” This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you!

plurilingue

Bronze

Post by plurilingue » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No hard feelings :) I understand that it is a long-shot. I’m just hoping to get as much edge as I can from the COVID-19.

“ I think overall (and this is VERY general) a T14 median grad is going to get more looks by employers than top 10% at a tier 2 school.” This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you!
I think a median T14 grad has much better prospects than a top 10% T2 grad. I recommend you blanket CCN on down and see where the chips land. I would expect an admit at a few T14 schools, with at least one of CCN being much less likely than not, at least one of MVPB being fairly likely, and at least one of DCNG being very likely. I would say GULC is pretty much given as an admit.

Jkcm1977

New

Post by Jkcm1977 » Sat May 02, 2020 1:51 am

In general, I think a median UChicago student has significantly better prospects, especially outside the T2's geographic area. Speaking of geography, that's one thing to consider. If the T2 is where you want to end up long term and UChicago is not, you might catch some skepticism from interviewers for the change.

As someone who made a similar transition, I generally don't regret the decision. Though there are certainly some days where I wish I had not walked away from a scholarship and taken on extra debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”