No Summer Job Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Summer Job

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:22 am

What do you guys think will be the impact of not having a summer job for transferring? At a 20-25 school with a high 3.6x looking to send out a few transfer applications. I currently have no summer job however and the coronavirus seems to have frozen my search in the two cities I was looking to work. How detrimental is this going to be to my chances?

cavalier1138

Re: No Summer Job

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:26 am

No one knows for sure how things will change this year, but I'd imagine everyone is going to be more understanding of not having a summer position this year.

That said, this is more of an issue for OCI than it is for transferring. You should reach out to professors regarding research positions, etc.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:No one knows for sure how things will change this year, but I'd imagine everyone is going to be more understanding of not having a summer position this year.

That said, this is more of an issue for OCI than it is for transferring. You should reach out to professors regarding research positions, etc.
Agree. Folks should be more understanding at OCI of the lack of a 1L summer job. But, ideally, still scramble to find something at least plausibly law/policy-related. Should be doable to find some kind of unpaid remote work opportunity for some nonprofit somewhere, even if it's something pretty dull.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Agree with both above responses, and I'd add that a lot of judges are still taking summer interns---although many have already hired. Getting an internship (even with a state-lower-court judge) in one of your target jurisdictions (or, say, near one of your transfer target schools) would fill the gap and mitigate any OCI concerns that you're unemployable.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Are judges actually still taking summer interns? I know under normal circumstances this wouldn’t be too late, but where I am the courts are all operating remotely and have shut down jury trials still. Not sure a chambers would want to deal with an intern under such conditions? (Otherwise I agree with you and if I’m wrong and judges are still hiring, go for it.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”