Transferring to a T-6 from a T1 full ride (Patent Law) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Transferring to a T-6 from a T1 full ride (Patent Law)

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:33 am

Hey all,

I am an international 1L at a school ranked 20-30. I am currently in the top 10% (maybe top 5% - the school doesn't release ranks) and have a GPA of 3.79. Our school won't have letter grades this semester. I have something very similar to an undergrad in EE (not exactly that since in my country it's called something else) and I want and need patent biglaw (open to pros, lit, and tech transfer). I have eight years of international business experience before law school. While I was originally planning to continue in my present school given the full ride I have here, given that the economy would soon tank, I am wondering if transferring would be a good idea. Do you guys think I have a shot at HYS or CCN and whether for patent big law, it makes any sense to transfer assuming we enter a recession soon? Also, do you think Berkeley would be a better pick for IP biglaw especially since it would be about 25K cheaper pre-interest (over two years) than any other T14?
P.S. - I don't mind taking a loan if I am able to pay it back thanks to a biglaw job; I don't have strong enough ties to any geography; I want to settle down in the US (no geographic preferences) and don't wish to head back home.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Transferring to a T-6 from a T1 full ride (Patent Law)

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:19 pm

As I'm sure you know, international students trying to settle in the US generally have a hard time with firm recruitment for a variety of reasons including the need for visa support. That said, excellent grades at a T20-30 with the relevant undergrad + Patent bar eligibility is generally enough to give you a shot at biglaw IP jobs. Of course, Berkeley or CCN would give you more options. Given your geographic openness within the US, I would consider Berkeley if you're not already on the West Coast because many of those jobs are there and recruit heavily from Berkeley.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Re: Transferring to a T-6 from a T1 full ride (Patent Law)

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:03 pm

decimalsanddollars wrote:As I'm sure you know, international students trying to settle in the US generally have a hard time with firm recruitment for a variety of reasons including the need for visa support. That said, excellent grades at a T20-30 with the relevant undergrad + Patent bar eligibility is generally enough to give you a shot at biglaw IP jobs. Of course, Berkeley or CCN would give you more options. Given your geographic openness within the US, I would consider Berkeley if you're not already on the West Coast because many of those jobs are there and recruit heavily from Berkeley.
Thanks a lot, man!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”