Boalt transfer to leverage aid Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Boalt transfer to leverage aid

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:29 am

Hello everyone,

After receiving my 1L grades, I'm wondering what my chances of getting an acceptance at a higher ranked school are. I'm currently at Boalt and believe I am in the top 25%.

I am actually quite happy at Boalt but would like to try to leverage an acceptance to get Berkeley to give me some more aid (though I'd go to a T6 if they gave ~60k in need-based aid and Boalt didn't budge). I want to do biglaw on the East Coast and have no interest in clerking. Do I have a shot at getting an aid increase or even getting into any T10s without being top 10%, or should I save the application fees?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Boalt transfer to leverage aid

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello everyone,

After receiving my 1L grades, I'm wondering what my chances of getting an acceptance at a higher ranked school are. I'm currently at Boalt and believe I am in the top 25%.

I am actually quite happy at Boalt but would like to try to leverage an acceptance to try to get Berkeley to give me some more aid (though I'd go to a T6 if they gave ~60k in need-based aid and Boalt didn't budge). I want to do biglaw on the East Coast and have no interest in clerking. Do I have a shot at getting an aid increase or even getting into any T10s without being top 10%, or should I save the application fees?
I'm sure plenty of T10s would accept you and take your money.

I've never heard of a "T10" school (or whatever Berkeley is now) negotiating with a "top 25%" student who wants to transfer out. Why would they care if you want to leave?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:50 am

Thank you. Out of curiosity, have you heard of anyone (non-top 10%) negotiating more aid out of a T14 after 1L? I gave top 25% as a conservative estimate, because I'm not sure exactly where between 10% and 33% I fall.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:36 am

You can probably get big law on the east coast at Boalt. You should stay.

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Post by LurkerTurnedMember » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:47 am

I keep reading on this forum that Boalt doesn't give out much money to admits coming in fresh so it's hard to see them giving someone only in the top 25% more money to stay when they can use that for new admits to boost their lsat/gpa medians.

himanhi

New

Post by himanhi » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 am

transferred into boalt a few yrs ago from top 1/3 at t10 and they threw me some $. don't know any other transfers that got anything though. also know of first years above both medians that paid sticker. can't figure this school out. whether or not they play ball, you should stay. east coast biglaw is easily gettable from your position and you're going to really appreciate the grading scheme your last 2 years.

and for anyone thinking about inter-t14 transfers, it hurt me a bit at oci and i had to delay clerkship apps a year. similar sentiments from a classmate who transferred to ccn. don't do it unless your need to be at the new school triumphs those inconveniences.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”