SMU/UH to UT Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SMU/UH to UT

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:15 am

My application to UT went complete this week. I went to UT undergrad and have strong Austin ties. Currently at SMU/UH in top 30% so it is a slight stretch.

Anyone have any idea on how long the wait is from going complete? Has anyone been offered this cycle yet and/or had a Skype interview?

mister logical

Bronze

Re: SMU/UH to UT

Post by mister logical » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:My application to UT went complete this week. I went to UT undergrad and have strong Austin ties. Currently at SMU/UH in top 30% so it is a slight stretch.

Anyone have any idea on how long the wait is from going complete? Has anyone been offered this cycle yet and/or had a Skype interview?

I'll assume UH because more people transfer out of there than SMU by far and UH grades come in very early.

I was top 10-15% at UH - put my apps in beginning of June, Skype interview around 2 weeks later, in the next day, 1 week before OCI so had plenty of time to build a bid list.

Top 30% is going to be a little difficult and you're at the outer edge of people who are accepted, so I would continue doing whatever you're doing at UH/SMU OCI-wise and prepare as such, and do the write-on for law review if you're at UH.

From my experience, the lower the rank, the longer they take to get back to you, so you may be accepted even after OCI (which sucks.) However, you get you app in very early which is great so this may play in your favor.

Sorry to add to any anxiety you might have, but I wanted to be truthful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:25 am

Mister logical, you are good.

I agree that I'm definitely on their low end right around their 25th percentile transfer GPA according to their 2015 509.

I'll do as you said and continue to work on the write-on. Unfortunately, I wouldn't transfer if I don't get in before OCI bids close but I'll keep sending in LOCIs every few weeks.

Thanks for the timeline you experienced.

Also, if I get in, I may PM you with some transfer questions.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Last edited by habeas2210 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apollo835

New

Post by Apollo835 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:05 pm

thecheat2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My application to UT went complete this week. I went to UT undergrad and have strong Austin ties. Currently at SMU/UH in top 30% so it is a slight stretch.

I'm also transferring to UT from UH. Best of luck!
Last edited by Apollo835 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:25 pm

Apollo835 wrote:
thecheat2010 wrote:

I'm also transferring to UT from UH. Best of luck!

Have you been admitted? Heard anything from UT? Good luck!
Not yet, my application just went to the committee today!

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Mister logical, you are good.

I agree that I'm definitely on their low end right around their 25th percentile transfer GPA according to their 2015 509.

I'll do as you said and continue to work on the write-on. Unfortunately, I wouldn't transfer if I don't get in before OCI bids close but I'll keep sending in LOCIs every few weeks.

Absolutely, always happy to help out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Bad news... Denial letter in the mail today. It was worth a shot, but I will be sticking at my current school b/c this was my only app.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bad news... Denial letter in the mail today. It was worth a shot, but I will be sticking at my current school b/c this was my only app.
Sorry to hear that :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sf2tx

New

Post by sf2tx » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:54 pm

Sorry to hear about that as well. How long did it take for you to hear back? I got my app in back in May but my final transcript says it was processed by LSAC this morning. Hoping to hear back before July to know whether or not I can stop paying for my apt at my old school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:17 pm

sf2tx wrote:Sorry to hear about that as well. How long did it take for you to hear back? I got my app in back in May but my final transcript says it was processed by LSAC this morning. Hoping to hear back before July to know whether or not I can stop paying for my apt at my old school.
They made a decision within ten days. I spoke with their admissions office in April and they told me they make a transfer decision within days normally.

sf2tx

New

Post by sf2tx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:05 pm

They just got back to me that I have a Skype interview, do they usually decide right after the interview?

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:21 pm

sf2tx wrote:They just got back to me that I have a Skype interview, do they usually decide right after the interview?
Yes, they typically decide within hours to a few days. They just want to make sure you're not crazy or socially awk.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sf2tx

New

Post by sf2tx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:00 pm

habeas2210 wrote:
sf2tx wrote:They just got back to me that I have a Skype interview, do they usually decide right after the interview?
Yes, they typically decide within hours to a few days. They just want to make sure you're not crazy or socially awk.

That's what I was thinking, wanted to make sure I wouldn't be waiting weeks after.

ssys

New

Post by ssys » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Hey guys. I am applying for transfer to UT as well. Just submitted application yesterday.
Currently in a out of state law school ranking T40, with a top 1/3 class ranking. Texas tie includes past working experience, this summer associate position,and family. Went to UT Law for my LL.M degree and got a professor who is willing to endorse me.
by the way, I saw from 509 form that the 50 percentile GPA transfer in is 3.4 ish. Mine is above 3.5. Do I have a chance?

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm

ssys wrote:Hey guys. I am applying for transfer to UT as well. Just submitted application yesterday.
Currently in a out of state law school ranking T40, with a top 1/3 class ranking. Texas tie includes past working experience, this summer associate position,and family. Went to UT Law for my LL.M degree and got a professor who is willing to endorse me.
by the way, I saw from 509 form that the 50 percentile GPA transfer in is 3.4 ish. Mine is above 3.5. Do I have a chance?
Guy who was rejected in this thread was Top 1/3, but went to UH. Possibly have a chance, but they did say in the interview that the transfer class size would be smaller this year than pasts (looking at about 20-30 this year).

ssys

New

Post by ssys » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 pm

habeas2210 wrote:
ssys wrote:Hey guys. I am applying for transfer to UT as well. Just submitted application yesterday.
Guy who was rejected in this thread was Top 1/3, but went to UH. Possibly have a chance, but they did say in the interview that the transfer class size would be smaller this year than pasts (looking at about 20-30 this year).
I agree with you. It is definitely a stretch given I am at 1/3. I had not thought about transferring until I got some encouragement from professors.

What about my raw GPA, it is above their 50th percentile GPA according to 2015, 509? will this boost my application? By the way, if the endorsement is from UT law's professor, how significant will it be?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:31 pm

ssys wrote:
habeas2210 wrote:
I agree with you. It is definitely a stretch given I am at 1/3. I had not thought about transferring until I got some encouragement from professors.

What about my raw GPA, it is above their 50th percentile GPA according to 2015, 509? will this boost my application? By the way, if the endorsement is from UT law's professor, how significant will it be?
I am not the best person to ask these questions. I would PM mister logical above, as he knows a bit about the UT transfer process. I knew I was a shoe in for UT so I didn't do any research on how they would weigh my application.

ssys

New

Post by ssys » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:39 pm

mister logical wrote:

Hello Mister Logic, I need some your help. Ppl says you know some stuff about UT transfer. Would you please take a look at my credentials.
Current law school: US law school ranking 38-40
GPA: 3.5 (higher than the 50 percentile of 1L GPA according to 2015 509)
Class rank: 1/3
Submission dates: 6/26 (very late, I know... I did not make up my mind until a few days ago)
Tie with Texas law: did my LL.M here, family and friends here, worked in Austin for more than a year, doing my summer associate position in Austin as well. Have a UT law professor as my recommendation.

Given the transfer class size shrinks, what do you think?

caseysho

New

Post by caseysho » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:08 pm

Granted I applied and was accepted early but the turn around is generally no more than 10 days. The Skype interview is really easy. Just want to know basics about you, summer employment, career goals, and why Texas. If you covered all that in your personal statement then you'll basically be telling them the same thing. Don't stress. Once you get an interview you've got to be real awkward to blow it. Good luck to everyone!

ssys

New

Post by ssys » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:00 pm

caseysho wrote:Granted I applied and was accepted early but the turn around is generally no more than 10 days. The Skype interview is really easy. Just want to know basics about you, summer employment, career goals, and why Texas. If you covered all that in your personal statement then you'll basically be telling them the same thing. Don't stress. Once you get an interview you've got to be real awkward to blow it. Good luck to everyone!
Congrats!!!! Would you mind sharing your status?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:38 pm

ssys wrote:
mister logical wrote:

Hello Mister Logic, I need some your help. Ppl says you know some stuff about UT transfer. Would you please take a look at my credentials.
Submission dates: 6/26 (very late, I know... I did not make up my mind until a few days ago)
Tie with Texas law: did my LL.M here, family and friends here, worked in Austin for more than a year, doing my summer associate position in Austin as well. Have a UT law professor as my recommendation.

I think you have a fairly good shot at being admitted, probably around 65-70%, it's difficult to say though since they're reducing the size. Top 1/3 is pretty good from 38-40, but usually top 10%-15% at the lowside is the lock-frame. Your ties are pretty solid though, and the SA is good too.

ssys

New

Post by ssys » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:34 am

mister logical wrote:
ssys wrote:
mister logical wrote:

I think you have a fairly good shot at being admitted, probably around 65-70%, it's difficult to say though since they're reducing the size. Top 1/3 is pretty good from 38-40, but usually top 10%-15% at the lowside is the lock-frame. Your ties are pretty solid though, and the SA is good too.
Thank you Mister Logic. Hope I can get in.

caseysho

New

Post by caseysho » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:50 pm

ssys wrote:
caseysho wrote:Granted I applied and was accepted early but the turn around is generally no more than 10 days. The Skype interview is really easy. Just want to know basics about you, summer employment, career goals, and why Texas. If you covered all that in your personal statement then you'll basically be telling them the same thing. Don't stress. Once you get an interview you've got to be real awkward to blow it. Good luck to everyone!
Yeah! Did my 1L at BU, but UT undergrad, Texas resident, and patent bar eligible. 3.51 GPA (didn't have a ranking at the time but it was around top 30%). Applied back in March but didn't hear anything until late April. Deposit is in and I registered for classes this morning :)

ssys

New

Post by ssys » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:18 pm

caseysho wrote:
ssys wrote:
Yeah! Did my 1L at BU, but UT undergrad, Texas resident, and patent bar eligible. 3.51 GPA (didn't have a ranking at the time but it was around top 30%). Applied back in March but didn't hear anything until late April. Deposit is in and I registered for classes this morning :)

That is awesome! we have very similar status although in fact you are actually better than me. I am just concerned that I applied very late and there are not much room left. Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”