Any downsides to Early Action? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nodbugger

New

Any downsides to Early Action?

Post by Nodbugger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:10 am

Say my GPA for this semester is just under the median for what GULC accepted last year. I apply Early action, will they flat out deny me? Or will they hold onto me and see what I get for my Spring Semester?

What if they do deny me and I destroy Spring Semester and raise my GPA a lot? Can I do regular decision still?

jphiggo

Bronze

Re: Any downsides to Early Action?

Post by jphiggo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:23 pm

It's really in their interest to defer a decision rather than flat out reject an applicant if their 1L first semester grades are borderline, because they may be able to accept you after seeing your performance after your second semester. I imagine they reject only those who would not have any realistic chance, academic-wise, who have applied after their first semester.

With that said, I can give an answer to the broader question as to downsides to EA, especially at GULC, as the vast amounts of money you will spend to "hold" a spot. If you have grades that are really good, the likelihood that you will choose GULC over another T14 is small, so don't do what I did and keep paying them deposits...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:35 pm

The only downside is that you'll spend $1800 to hold your spot by the time you hear back from other schools. Other than that, there's plenty of upsides

m27

Bronze

Post by m27 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm

jphiggo wrote:It's really in their interest to defer a decision rather than flat out reject an applicant if their 1L first semester grades are borderline, because they may be able to accept you after seeing your performance after your second semester. I imagine they reject only those who would not have any realistic chance, academic-wise, who have applied after their first semester.

With that said, I can give an answer to the broader question as to downsides to EA, especially at GULC, as the vast amounts of money you will spend to "hold" a spot. If you have grades that are really good, the likelihood that you will choose GULC over another T14 is small, so don't do what I did and keep paying them deposits...
Nebby wrote:The only downside is that you'll spend $1800 to hold your spot by the time you hear back from other schools. Other than that, there's plenty of upsides
If you have a GPA at/above GULC's 75th percentile for transfers, would it be better to hold off submitting your application until closer to the deadline to avoid these fees?

Nodbugger

New

Post by Nodbugger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:35 am

Thanks for the info, unless NU looks at my softs, and the fact that I'm already in Chicago and have lived in and around it my whole life, GULC will likely be my reach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:49 am

m27 wrote:If you have a GPA at/above GULC's 75th percentile for transfers, would it be better to hold off submitting your application until closer to the deadline to avoid these fees?
Yes, in my opinion it would be. But, I know all too well how difficult that is to do in reality. It is nice having the GULC EA acceptance if you know you are going to transfer. It's basically a fall back option for you at that point. They know this too, however. There is a possibility that you will need to submit not just one, but two, deposits to hold your spot there while hearing back from the others after you obtain your second semester grades. It's a nice safety to have, but it's an expensive safety. If you have great grades now, it sounds like you know how to take a law school exam. With that said, your grades next semester will probably be good, too.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:51 am

the downside is that the action may be too early

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:51 am

jphiggo wrote:
m27 wrote:If you have a GPA at/above GULC's 75th percentile for transfers, would it be better to hold off submitting your application until closer to the deadline to avoid these fees?
Yes, in my opinion it would be.

m27

Bronze

Post by m27 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Nebby wrote:
jphiggo wrote:
Thanks jphiggo and Nebby. That's where my GPA is at now (3.9) and I would only consider actually transferring to H or CCN. Is it worth it to send an app to GULC for scholarship leverage or just wait to hear back from H/CCN and use that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:37 pm

m27 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
jphiggo wrote:
Thanks jphiggo and Nebby. That's where my GPA is at now (3.9) and I would only consider actually transferring to H or CCN. Is it worth it to send an app to GULC for scholarship leverage or just wait to hear back from H/CCN and use that?

GULC and H/CCN are in different ballparks. I don't believe a 20k scholarship offer from GULC would make H/CCN even consider changing their offer

Edit: If you mean using GULC's offer to leverage your CURRENT school into more money, it's a good idea

m27

Bronze

Post by m27 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:48 pm

clshopeful wrote: Edit: If you mean using GULC's offer to leverage your CURRENT school into more money, it's a good idea
Yes that's what I meant. Is it even possible to use an H/CCN transfer acceptance to get money from a GULC or lower T14 acceptance?

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:53 pm

m27 wrote:
clshopeful wrote: Edit: If you mean using GULC's offer to leverage your CURRENT school into more money, it's a good idea
Yes that's what I meant. Is it even possible to use an H/CCN transfer acceptance to get money from a GULC or lower T14 acceptance?
Unlikely. I only know of a handful of T14 schools that offer any money to transfers and it is all need-based, not merit-based, aid.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Do we TLSers know a full list of T1 schools w/ EA Transfer programs? Would be nice to have one,

I know of UChi, USC, and GULC. Any others have EA Transfers?

TetrisBlock

Bronze

Post by TetrisBlock » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:17 pm

clshopeful wrote:Do we TLSers know a full list of T1 schools w/ EA Transfer programs? Would be nice to have one,

I know of UChi, USC, and GULC. Any others have EA Transfers?
I think GULC is the only one with EA. The rest are ED (binding).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”