Transfer from T1 to T14 (but giving up full ride) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ninjacatsarego

New

Transfer from T1 to T14 (but giving up full ride)

Post by Ninjacatsarego » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:07 pm

I am currently enrolled as a 1L at a top30 school recieving a full ride and living stipend. I chose this school 1)for the financial gain, 2) i was under the impression i would have enough job porsperity to get into the regional and area of work I want.

Knowing those premises, I am considering a transfer to a couple different east coast T14 schools for the following reasons;
1) i don't think i will be able to get into the area i want to go into based on the school's connections, reach, and location i am currently at.
2) My fiancé is in the military is being moved out to the east coast for the next 2.5 years of my law school career, and we would prefer to only be a few hours apart and not nearly 20.

The two schools that would be closest to his base are;
1) the Top 30 i previously got into and decided against because I got better financial aid on my current school, and would feel silly transferring there for less money that i would have originally gotten if i had gone there in the first place.
2) The other school would be ideal, but is a top10.

I am curious on advice and its it worth to try and transfer across the country and give up a full ride to a top tier school.... for reason of family, and career propsects being more focused.
Last edited by Ninjacatsarego on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Companion Cube

Silver

Re: Transfer from T1 to T14 (but giving up full ride)

Post by Companion Cube » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:12 pm

That was a tough read, but I'll say two things: 1) focus on getting the grades to transfer before you get all caught up in deciding that you want to. If you get your hopes up for transferring, it'll be more devastating if you don't get the grades you hoped for (a very real possibility). 2) I think your reasons for wanting to transfer are fine. Most people transfer for prestige, even if they won't admit it. Transferring to be closer to family and to go to a school that's in your desired job market are much more practical reasons to transfer.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:14 pm

It would help if you specify the schools under consideration. (Seems as though Virginia & Wm. & Mary might be in the new location.) Also, need more info. about location & type of legal work desired after law school.

Difficult to assess because you might get on law review & be in the top 10% at your current school in whch case giving up a full tuition scholarship plus stipend might not be wise.

Ninjacatsarego

New

Post by Ninjacatsarego » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It would help if you specify the schools under consideration. (Seems as though Virginia & Wm. & Mary might be in the new location.) Also, need more info. about location & type of legal work desired after law school.

Difficult to assess because you might get on law review & be in the top 10% at your current school in whch case giving up a full tuition scholarship plus stipend might not be wise.

The schools in question are Duke and UNC, and my current location is the midwest. My desired type of legal work post law school is in internationally based.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Apply as a transfer to Duke. Write on for law review or your preferred journal for both law schools if permitted to do so. My best guess is that any type of international legal position will be difficult to obtain from any law school--especially one outside of the T-14.

How realistic is obtaining your desired type of position from Duke or UNC ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”