Worth Transferring? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thp25

New

Worth Transferring?

Post by thp25 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Hey guys,
Hoping you could offer some advice on my situation. I currently go to a Top 50 school (#42, Virginia Area) and I was accepted into GULC through the Early Action program. I have a pretty considerable scholarship at my current school, and would obviously get no money from GULC. I'd like to do big law (then again, who doesn't?) particularly IP Litigation, in NYC, NJ, or California. I have a 3.726 at my current school, putting me in the top 15%. I wouldn't expect to fall below a 3.6 after this semester, and I would say worst case scenario, if I ride the curve for every class, I end up with a 3.54 or so (though this is unlikely). Most of the advice I've gotten is, "it's a tough choice," "there's no wrong answer," etc., with everyone seeming to hesitantly lean towards GULC. So, is it worth taking on the potential debt? I have good friends at my current school (not incredibly important to me thought) but I don't like the area and would never want to live/work here (probably shouldn't have come in the first place but kinda got forced into it because of the scholarship). Was just looking for some advice from former transfers, maybe people who've transferred to GULC, or anyone who could offer advice in general. Thanks.

collegebum1989

Bronze

Re: Worth Transferring?

Post by collegebum1989 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:19 pm

The answer depends a lot on your background. If you want to do IP lit, you'll need some form of a technical background. The more technical your background, the lower your law credentials need to be to break into biglaw IP lit.

If you have a EE/CS/Engineering background - stay at GMU assuming you get good grades and keep your scholarship.

If not, I would transfer. The reason is that you'll be going against candidates with tech backgrounds and firms tend to only hire IP litigators without tech backgrounds from T14 schools or at top of their class at T25-T30 schools.

In addtion, IP lit has gotten substantially more competitive to break into because IP seems to be the only field of law that law students presume has healthy employment. If you don't have a technical background, you won't have a competitive edge unless you have the law credentials necessary to break into any other field of biglaw.

thp25

New

Post by thp25 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:23 pm

Probably should've provided more background:
Don't know if this makes a difference but I'm actually at W&L, not GMU. Also, no tech background; however, if possible, I'd be fine with working in soft IP or Entertainment Law. Finally, I'd be just as content working in Transactional work as I would be in Litigation.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Transfer to Georgetown. Doesn't Wash & Lee have horrible placement stats ? Also, I thought a large part of W&L's placements are into low paying one year clerkships for Virginia state court judges.

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:20 pm

thp25 wrote:I'd be fine with working in soft IP or Entertainment Law
I work at an IP firm, and I can tell you that "soft IP" is not really a thing. Only patent bar eligible candidates get the benefit of having lower credentials to break into biglaw (because of their tech backgrounds). Most firms would rather hire someone with a tech background for patent stuff and then have them do soft IP as well. As such, even soft IP (copyright, trademark) may require some sort of tech background or top grades.

The exception is, of course, if you're at a T14. However, even then, it's a risk. I don't think you can really quantify the risk between being median at GULC and being top of class at W&L, to justify the extra tuition. I would say transfer higher to a T10 for it to be worth the added tuition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wouldliketotransfer2

Bronze

Post by Wouldliketotransfer2 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:38 pm

W&L is a great school. Why not consider the DC area as well for IP? W&L has great placement in DC and if you do stay in the top 15% you will get into big law. I think its a hard decision but I see a lot of associates in my firm still paying debts from law school.

I will also take into consideration where did you go to undergrad. If you went to a good school then you already have a good school in your resume.

Also try to bring your acceptance to W&L to get an even better scholarship.

Good luck, I know this is a very hard choice!

SquedTheScholar

New

Post by SquedTheScholar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Wouldliketotransfer2 wrote:W&L is a great school.
If "great school" is defined, at least in part, by job placement outcomes, W&L is most certainly NOT a "great school" but rather the opposite.

OP, your alma mater will follow you for the rest of your life. Transfer.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:55 pm

SquedTheScholar wrote:
If "great school" is defined, at least in part, by job placement outcomes, W&L is most certainly NOT a "great school" but rather the opposite.

And yeah uh... Top 15% at W&L is not guaranteeing OP biglaw, DC biglaw for that matter, either.

SquedTheScholar

New

Post by SquedTheScholar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:59 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
SquedTheScholar wrote:

And yeah uh... Top 15% at W&L is not guaranteeing OP biglaw, DC biglaw for that matter, either.
This is TCR. Top 15% at W&L is not competitive for any biglaw market. Furthermore, DC is one of the toughest markets to crack. Many firms have 10 or less SAs in their DC office. Your first goal should be to land biglaw or an equally acceptable position. Only then may you get picky with the location of said position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”