I Must Transfer... Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I Must Transfer...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:34 pm

I ventured from the West Coast to the Midwest to go to law school almost for free, but after 2.5 months as a 1L, it is clear that I must leave.

The school is a T20-30 and the professors are great. Until I arrived here, I never considered academia, but now I am very interested. Job prospects pretty much suck from here. National firms don't recruit here and the 3-4 regional firms that are faithful to this school look solely for the top performers.

I suppose if I just achieve #1 this post will be moot... :lol: I actually like the school, but I dislike the career prospects. I would gladly pay sticker at a T14 in exchange for peace of mind.
/rant
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moonman157

Silver

Re: I Must Transfer...

Post by moonman157 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:58 pm

If it really is your goal to transfer, work biglaw, or get into academia, all you can do (and what you absolutely must do) is kill it this year with grades. When you get your grades back, then see what your transferring options are. But grades need to be your focus right now.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:16 pm

which school is this? Is there a particular market that you want but this school places poorly in?

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:57 pm

cusenation wrote:which school is this? Is there a particular market that you want but this school places poorly in?
I'm curious as well. I'm not going to take the time to go look at the US News rankings but it seems strange that a top 30 school would have such bad biglaw placement.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:04 pm

mandimeoutof10 wrote:
cusenation wrote:which school is this? Is there a particular market that you want but this school places poorly in?
I'm curious as well. I'm not going to take the time to go look at the US News rankings but it seems strange that a top 30 school would have such bad biglaw placement.
Probably Iowa or Indiana.

Unless you are top 1% and transfer to Yale or Harvard, Academia is not going happen OP.

If you score top 10%, you probably won't have to transfer to get dat biglaw.

I'd only transfer if you are like 10-20% and get into a T12 (ie not michigan or Gtttown).
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nat Sherman

New

Post by Nat Sherman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:10 pm

mandimeoutof10 wrote:
Only Midwest schools are Minnesota, Notre Dame, Iowa, and Indiana ranked 20-30. Probably not Notre Dame since they have over 30% as fed clerks or in big law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mandimeoutof10 wrote:

Unless you are top 1% and transfer to Yale or Harvard, Academia is not going happen OP.

If you score top 10%, you probably won't have to transfer to get dat biglaw.

I'd only transfer if you are like 10-20% and get into a T12 (ie not michigan or Gtttown).

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Bold use of anon reply.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohioguy99

New

Post by ohioguy99 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Anyone who goes to the solid law schools schools in the Midwest, or for college sports fans, some of the Big Ten schools, needs to be content with small firm or government type employment.

Yes, the top 10-20 percent will get big firm jobs, but 80 percent won't and many end up working in business, politics, government, small firm, public defenders offices, prosecutors offices etc.

You also need to be content with living and working in the state in which the school is in.

I'm mostly talking about schools like Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio State, Wisconsin etc.

These schools can all be decent options if you have strong ties to the state, can go for cheap, are passionate about living in that state, and are content with small law government etc.

If your goal going into law school is academia, big law, etc don't go to these schools. Not saying it can't happen, but the odds are much much lower.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Is drop out, retake, and reapply an option? You'll have a better shot.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:29 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Is drop out, retake, and reapply an option? You'll have a better shot.
lol no. T14 schools aren't going to take a kid who already dropped out of law school

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:33 pm

As someone who likely has struck out despite finishing top 3% at a regional school around the T30 range I would definitely advise transferring. I really regret not making the move. Obviously though focus on learning to take law exams and get really good at it.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:36 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:As someone who likely has struck out despite finishing top 3% at a regional school around the T30 range I would definitely advise transferring. I really regret not making the move. Obviously though focus on learning to take law exams and get really good at it.
You would have struck out at the T14 too.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sheriff

Bronze

Post by Sheriff » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:46 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:As someone who likely has struck out despite finishing top 3% at a regional school around the T30 range I would definitely advise transferring. I really regret not making the move. Obviously though focus on learning to take law exams and get really good at it.
You were top 3% at a t30 and struck out? :shock:

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
You would have struck out at the T14 too.
Maybe. Obviously I wasn't a great interviewer but Im from the north east and was interviewing in a market that seemed to really care about ties. The feeling I got was it was just easier to take similar grade people from the region than me.

I just point it out because OP is from the west coast so I don't know how insular the markets are he is targeting but I think it's a non trivial factor to consider.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:29 pm

Important as ties are, if you were top 3% and struck out completely, that's more on your interviewing than anything else.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mandimeoutof10 wrote:

actually, I still doubt it. Clerking with a feeder judge appears to be a necessary but not sufficient condition for fellowships and a future in legal academia (absent a Ph.D in another field or absurdly prolific publications). These judges recruit overwhelmingly early in the fall of 2L now, and OP would have no connections or faculty recommendations at his or her new school who will be making calls to chambers on their behalf in august. He or she would always be a few steps behind their peers with regards to the types of positions that require genuine institutional support. It's always possible to do it later, but this is just one example of the many reasons why even this statement gives a misleadingly positive impression of OP's chances at becoming a tenured prof.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”