UIUC vs. NYU

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

?

UIUC 25k/year
17%
NYU
83%

Total votes: 24

Anonymous User

UIUC vs. NYU

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Top 10% at UIUC. Law Review. 25k/year scholly. Biglaw is the goal - I would actually prefer Texas, but its a toss up between NY and Chicago.

Admitted to NYU.

Is leaving a stupid decision?

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Re: UIUC vs. NYU

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Go. Also, is the $25k guaranteed for both years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:42 pm

OP here

Yea, the 25k/year is guaranteed. My profs are pushing the fact that I could secure a nice clerkship if I stayed (CALI con law, etc), but I don't really think that's something I want to do. Also, being on TLS for years has taught me not to trust those sneaky devils.

I guess my hesitation is because I don't wanna pay tens of thousands more for something I could lock up at UIUC. But I am really afraid of striking out.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:44 pm

pay deposit at NYU. Compare their OCI prospects to UIUC's. If u have time, wait for screener invitations from UIUC to come out and see what u'd be giving up or gaining by leaving.

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Only fed clerkship top 10% at uiuc is getting is S.D.Ill, if even.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm

OP here

Yea, I'm not really concerned with the clerkship route. I just don't want to leave a bad taste in my mouth by taking on $80k more debt for a name.

nointerests

New

Post by nointerests » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% at UIUC. Law Review. 25k/year scholly. Biglaw is the goal - I would actually prefer Texas, but its a toss up between NY and Chicago.

Admitted to NYU.

If you would prefer Texas why is UT not an option? From what I've read, other than HYS, Texas firms tend to stick to their own and hire UT grads over other ivy's and stress ties pretty heavily.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:54 pm

nointerests wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% at UIUC. Law Review. 25k/year scholly. Biglaw is the goal - I would actually prefer Texas, but its a toss up between NY and Chicago.

Admitted to NYU.

If you would prefer Texas why is UT not an option? From what I've read, other than HYS, Texas firms tend to stick to their own and hire UT grads over other ivy's and stress ties pretty heavily.
This assumes that OP has Texas ties. He can still apply to UT now, but he's missed the boat on OCI. Getting a job as a transfer afterwards would be an enormous uphill battle.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Admitted to NYU.

Any chances of UIUC bumping up your scholarship?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Op here

No meaningful Texas ties. That's the problem with ut.

I have tried to leverage scholarship to no avail.

nointerests

New

Post by nointerests » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Op here

No meaningful Texas ties. That's the problem with ut.

I have tried to leverage scholarship to no avail.
Hmm..odd...I know someone who got accepted as a transfer from UIUC into a T14 ranked lower than NYU that got a scholarship bump in response.

middlemarch

New

Post by middlemarch » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:47 am

Go to NYU if you want to get to Texas. Big Texas firms go to OCI at NYU (Akin, V&E, Baker, etc.) and rarely fill their interview slots. I doubt they show up at Illinois.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 am

middlemarch wrote:Go to NYU if you want to get to Texas. Big Texas firms go to OCI at NYU (Akin, V&E, Baker, etc.) and rarely fill their interview slots. I doubt they show up at Illinois.
OP here. Do Big Tex firms come to NYU expecting to hire people from Texas, or will they take a legitimate look at kids who have an actual reason to want Texas but lack ties?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

middlemarch

New

Post by middlemarch » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:05 pm

I can't be sure, but I assume they'd be willing to take a legitimate look if you bid on them during OCI (as I said, they don't fill up) and can cogently and enthusiastically explain why you want to move to Texas during the screening interview. There's also an opportunity, generally, to talk to firms at their hospitality suites, and to leave a second impression. At least you have a foot in the door, which is better than mass-mailing from Illinois without ties. Worst-case at NYU you end up with NYC Big Law.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:18 pm

You should be fine at UIUC. If top 10% + LR doesn't get you some form of biglaw at OCI, then NYU's OCI may not bode much better for you, i.e., poor apps or interviewing. The only difference will be access to preftigious firms at NYU + a marginally better chance at TX biglaw. It's not worth an extra 80k.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Why do you want to work in Texas when you have no ties there? If its the COL factor, Chicago is a ton cheaper than NYC. NYC will probably be the easiest place to get biglaw in, though, and NYU's OCI will maximize your odds of that. Also, if you don't have ties to Chicago, you should strongly consider transferring to NYU, taking NYC biglaw, and never looking back. Chicago firms care a lot about ties, and top 10% + LR is far from a guarantee of Chicago biglaw right now (Chicago is a very competitive market because of the lack of SA spots in Chicago). I calculated the NALP numbers back when I was in law school, and I remember there being somewhere around 250 SA spots total in Chicago in the summer of 2010, and you're competing against students from the t14 (particularly UChi and NU) for one of those spots. Just to give you an idea of how competitive it is, a recruiter in Chicago told a friend that not even federal law clerks are finding jobs in Chicago right now (unless they were hired through a 2L SA).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”