Just received partial scholly...can it go higher? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
txig

Bronze

Just received partial scholly...can it go higher?

Post by txig » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:00 pm

T50 w/gpa of 3.74 after first semester. Easily Top 10%...probably closer to 5%-7%. I have no financial aid at my current school. Mentioned transferring in September to a lady in Student Affairs Office and she said to give the school a chance. She called me in to her office today and offered 10K with a guaranteed Dean's Fellowship next year (kind of like a TA, I guess). From the DC area and looking at GULC. Possibly interested in Columbia/NYU or maybe even better if I improve my standing.

Question is, how do I negotiate higher? The scholly is contingent on me not applying to transfer. However, the only way I'd stay at my school is if they give me 1/2 off the next two years. Don't know if the Student Affairs Office can go that high or if I need to talk to Fin Aid. Additionally, I have a week to make my decision. Should my best bet be decline, apply to transfer, and then once I get an acceptance go to Fin Aid or this lady? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PepperJack

Silver

Re: Just received partial scholly...can it go higher?

Post by PepperJack » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:05 pm

txig wrote:T50 w/gpa of 3.74 after first semester. Easily Top 10%...probably closer to 5%-7%. I have no financial aid at my current school. Mentioned transferring in September to a lady in Student Affairs Office and she said to give the school a chance. She called me in to her office today and offered 10K with a guaranteed Dean's Fellowship next year (kind of like a TA, I guess). From the DC area and looking at GULC. Possibly interested in Columbia/NYU or maybe even better if I improve my standing.

Question is, how do I negotiate higher? The scholly is contingent on me not applying to transfer. However, the only way I'd stay at my school is if they give me 1/2 off the next two years. Don't know if the Student Affairs Office can go that high or if I need to talk to Fin Aid. Additionally, I have a week to make my decision. Should my best bet be decline, apply to transfer, and then once I get an acceptance go to Fin Aid or this lady? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You should go to Columbia/NYU if you can. She's not giving you the 10k to be nice. 20k savings at American or an SA is a joke of a proposition if you want to be at a firm. Even at half off, the SA vs. no SA is easily worth a few 100k statistically because of what it sets you up for.

txig

Bronze

Post by txig » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Just to note, I am definitely interested in Big Law b/c of the amount of debt that I will occur by sating for 10K or leaving an getting nothing.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm

then prioritizing 20k is like only paying your team to play 8 innings and expect to win a 9 inning game.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”