Top 10% at Chicago TT --> T-14 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 10% at Chicago TT --> T-14

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Top 10% at Kent/Loyola/DePaul. Looking to transfer to T-14 - prefer Boalt (from the Bay Area) or NU (so I don't have to bother moving), but will send apps to other schools if it wouldn't be a complete waste of money. Chances?

keg411

Platinum

Re: Top 10% at Chicago TT --> T-14

Post by keg411 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Where are you in the top 10%? Right now I'd say your best chance is at NU at maybe 40% and Berkeley probably at 25-30%. (Chances are maybe a little higher if you're like top 6-7%).

Get into to the top 5% and I'd say you have a 60-70% chance at Berkeley since you're from CA. Berkeley loves CA people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:49 pm

OP here: Just barely in the top 10%. Like 9.6%. Looks better when I say 24/~250 though, LOL. Whatever it takes to make myself feel better.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:22 pm

I don't think you're going to be admitted into Boalt or NU with top 10% at a Chicago t2. But if you get that up to top 5%, your odds will increase significantly.

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 pm

So you have a reference point, I was top 2% at a Chicago t2 last year and got dinged from boalt. Got into NU. You're doing well. Try to pick it up a little and you'll be in good shape.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:58 am

OP here: Thanks for the encouragement, All. Hopefully I'll be able bring it up to 5% or higher by the end of the semester.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:54 pm

OP here: Worth it to send out an EA GULC app?

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: Worth it to send out an EA GULC app?
You probably have an decent shot there, so if that's what you are asking, yes. Whether you should transfer to GULC would be a whole different discussion based on where you ultimately want to be. Doesn't seem very logical if you are dead set on staying in Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:12 pm

I'm not set on Chicago, and would prefer to go home to the Bay Area, to be honest. But I do want the best chance at paying off debt, wherever that may be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not set on Chicago, and would prefer to go home to the Bay Area, to be honest. But I do want the best chance at paying off debt, wherever that may be.
I am in a similar situation as you, except I am dead set on Chicago. I am not applying to GULC because it makes no sense for me. You need to be able to answer "Why did you transfer to GULC?" at OCI. If the answer is "I want to work in DC" then it is credited. You should look at how many Bay Area firms recruit at GULC OCI. For me, I looked for Chicago firms at GULC and there was not many.

I was thinking Boalt, but I don't have connections to the Bay Area like you. Their website says top 3-5% has a decent shot. Work hard this semester and get it up to at least top 5% and try Boalt if you really want Bay Area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:23 am

OP here: where can I find a list of the firms at GULC OCI? I looked but for some reason couldn't find it.

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: where can I find a list of the firms at GULC OCI? I looked but for some reason couldn't find it.
I am not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

But what I typically do in that situation is go to specific firms that I care about on NALP and figure out where THEY go to OCI. Reverse and time consuming, I know.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: where can I find a list of the firms at GULC OCI? I looked but for some reason couldn't find it.
The list is here for fall 2012: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/h ... eiw/page/2 . But you need to be a GULC student to access it. I believe GULC does have a list of all the employers who have ever came to their OCI (they say it is a sample of the OCI interviewers that typically recruit GULC grads) somewhere in its prospective student brochure area. That Might be a good starting point (I recall looking at it when I was considering whether it would make sense for me to transfer to GULC, and I noticed the lack of Chicago biglaw firms that have ever done OCI at GULC).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”