Advice on transferring Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nelaw2010

Bronze

Advice on transferring

Post by nelaw2010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm top 20% at TT ranked in the mid-60's.

When I applied to law schools, my highest acceptance was GWU with no $. I chose this school b/c of location and money.

Now I'm thinking of transferring to USC or UCLA. Any chance with my stats?

1) Top 20%

2) Great LOR

Any thoughts on UCLA/USC? Or if not, perhaps Davis? I want to stay in California.

nelaw2010

Bronze

Re: Advice on transferring

Post by nelaw2010 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:41 pm

bump --> just in case.

Tiresias

New

Re: Advice on transferring

Post by Tiresias » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 am

I hate to be the bearer of difficult news... but I think your chances are unlikely. However, I would still try. Especially if you have strong connections with SoCal.

Here is a bit of info I can provide to give a clearer perspective.

1. I go to USC, was dinged on my transfer app to UCLA. Was Top 4-5% at a T2 school in the 80s. Older student. No SoCal ties. Plenty of WE.

2. More people will apply to UCLA because (a) they are more transfer friendly and (b) they have lower sticker. So competition is probably fiercer to get into UCLA.

3. Generally speaking, the people who were admitted to USC from schools in the 60s were top 5-10%. I do know someone from Hastings (bottom T1 if I am correct) who was top 20-25%. However, this student had a hard science background and had strong SoCal ties.

4. There is one person I know of (there may be more, but unlikely) who got in from a T3 by being in the to 10%. However, I believe she had strong SoCal ties.

5. General perspective. This is just my personal experience and perspective. I emphasize this so that you keep my perspective in perspective. The fundamental question is, "What are your reasons for transferring?" If it is merely to go to a higher ranked school, I would say it is not a wise move. Too much will be lost, and very little will be gained (particularly a transfer to Davis). If you have more compelling reasons, such as, (a) wanting to be closer to family or (b) wanting to be around a more conducive law school culture, then I say give it a shot. I cannot emphasize this enough, do not transfer if you think you will have better OCI prospects. It is unfortunate to say, but it is true.

I hope this has been helpful. I wish you the best. If you have any further questions, PM me.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”