What are your chances? I'll chance you Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vronsky

Silver

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by Vronsky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:45 pm

salvage wrote:3.76 GPA at Midwest TTT. Don't know class rank, median GPA is 3.0.
Chances at UMN? Does it hurt that I've applied there and was rejected a year ago?
No, it doesn't hurt that you were denied there before, but I'm not all that knowledgable about transfers outside of t14. You should be top 10% though, maybe top 5%, so a good chance. Also consider other midwestern schools (ND? IUB?)

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Jessuf wrote:Stats: Top 1% at TTT, law review fall grade-on (as in I have already been active on law review for a semester), 3 book awards, best appellate brief, dean's list, federal judicial internship (district), moot court invitation, half-tuition scholarship. FL ties.

(1) Does it make sense to go elsewhere if GULC gave me money? (~$28k/year)
(2) % chances for Columbia, NYU, Boalt? I am not interested in Penn, Mich, Duke, NU.
GULC gave you a scholarship? That is the first I have heard. You have enough of a shot to make apps worth it at CNB, but its tough from TTT schools. I would strongly consider GULC with that money if you have any interest in living/working in DC.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:47 pm

lawskewl wrote:3.73 (top 7%) at 60s school in midwest
Graded on to law review
Strong ties to NYC with excellent W/E there between college and law school.
Want to work at big law, eventually do public service in NYC
Not getting any $ at current school

Chances at Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell, Michigan, Fordham?

Thanks.
Probably not super competitive at CN, but should get something else, either Mich or Cornell. Have you considered GULC? Don't go to Fordham - they have a negative transfer OCI policy.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:48 pm

vinnievanlowe wrote:3.74 (top 10%) at T-14
Couple of A+s
Good w/e
Interested in clerking/govt. work.

Chances at UChi, H, S, Berkeley?
Probably not at HS, but maybe at Chi and Berkley. It's definitely worth the app fee for all you listed though.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Lawst wrote:3.3 GPA at a lower T2. School doesn't rank.
In at GW (EA - before my spring grades lowered me from a 3.5).
Deferred EA at GULC. I don't expect to get in RD either.
My school is in the NYC area, so I had thought about applying to NYU and Columbia, but now that I'm down to a 3.3, I think it's a lost cause (Even 3.5 was a stretch, I think). Sound about right? As much as I'm thinking that I should take the chance, I don't have the money to waste right now on apps.
I don't think you're going to lose GW, but I don't think you will get anything else. Be happy you got in EA.
Thanks. Yeah, thought so, but it helps for someone else to confirm. I didn't fall low enough for GW to revoke, so I'm good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cls.2014

New

Post by cls.2014 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Last edited by cls.2014 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Stats: Top 1% at TTT, law review fall grade-on (as in I have already been active on law review for a semester), 3 book awards, best appellate brief, dean's list, federal judicial internship (district), moot court invitation, half-tuition scholarship. FL ties.

(1) Does it make sense to go elsewhere if GULC gave me money? (~$28k/year)
(2) % chances for Columbia, NYU, Boalt? I am not interested in Penn, Mich, Duke, NU.
GULC gave you a scholarship? That is the first I have heard. You have enough of a shot to make apps worth it at CNB, but its tough from TTT schools. I would strongly consider GULC with that money if you have any interest in living/working in DC.
Thanks. I will just save the $300 or whatever and stay at GULC. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.
Wait -- terminology is important here. Is the $28K really a transfer "scholarship" from GULC, or is it need-based aid? If the latter, you will probably get a similar amount of money from any T-14 (and likely even more as you move up the rankings).

jess

Post by jess » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Jessuf wrote:Oh sorry, I didn't address that before. It's need-based aid. I have never gotten need-based aid in my life, so I don't know why GULC gave it to me.
In that case, the money from GULC really shouldn't be a factor because you'll likely get a similar offer from any T-14. As a rule, higher-ranked schools are much more generous with need-based aid. Many transfers end up getting need grants from their new schools even though they were well above the cutoff at their old schools.

cls.2014

New

Post by cls.2014 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Last edited by cls.2014 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Last edited by heeloftar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:03 pm

fatduck wrote:okay lets try this now that grades are in

~3.9, (top 2-3%) at vandy, chances at HYS + Virginia. not a VA resident per se but have some DC/VA ties.
With those numbers, I think you get UVA even without residency. But if I were you, I'd do Berkeley as a "safety" instead of UVA (unless you have a huge reason to be in VA, it seems like UVA/Vandy have a pretty big crossover in terms of firms, and there is no reason to transfer).

That said I think you have more than a 50% chance at H and I'm optimistic that you can get S :).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:04 pm

heeloftar wrote:Need Access wants to know all sorts of information about my parents. I am 26, married, and my parents haven't claimed me since I was 18. That said, my dad makes a lot of money. Does this take me out of the running for Need Access? I will be transferring, and I'm hoping to ease the blow of full tuition a bit since we're now a single income family and my wife works for a non-profit.
Parental income will likely be attributed to you even if you are married and financially independent. I know - it sucks. I'm in the same situation. I don't know the cutoffs for other schools, but at HLS for example you need to be 29 or 30 before they stop looking at parental finances.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm

cls.2014 wrote:
cls.2014 wrote:Columbia. 3.5, top 1/3rd. Board member of club. RA.

chances at Harvard, Yale
bump
I'd think you'd need to be closer to top 20%. And I'd say maybe 10% chance at Yale.

You can probably make a lateral transfer or transfer down if you really hate NYC or something, but I don't think those numbers are good enough for a transfer up.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Graded on to law review

Thanks.
Probably not super competitive at CN, but should get something else, either Mich or Cornell. Have you considered GULC? Don't go to Fordham - they have a negative transfer OCI policy.
I'd say 60-70% chance at GULC, 50% chance at Cornell and 35-40% chance at Michigan.

lawskewl

New

Post by lawskewl » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:01 pm

keg411 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
Graded on to law review

Thanks.
I'd say 60-70% chance at GULC, 50% chance at Cornell and 35-40% chance at Michigan.
Thanks. Do you think I have any chance at the NYC schools or is my ranking just too low?

I have heard that GULC is huge and kind of impersonal, plus hugely competitive to be with such a large class.

I'd like to be back on east coast. What about Penn? How is Michigan for transfers/getting back to NYC? And finally, any other schools I should be looking at? Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fdr123

New

Post by fdr123 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Top 15 % (3.2 GPA) at TTTT in FL (30/230). Chances at UMiami and U of F?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:38 pm

keg411 wrote:
fatduck wrote:okay lets try this now that grades are in

~3.9, (top 2-3%) at vandy, chances at HYS + Virginia. not a VA resident per se but have some DC/VA ties.
With those numbers, I think you get UVA even without residency. But if I were you, I'd do Berkeley as a "safety" instead of UVA (unless you have a huge reason to be in VA, it seems like UVA/Vandy have a pretty big crossover in terms of firms, and there is no reason to transfer).

That said I think you have more than a 50% chance at H and I'm optimistic that you can get S :).
UVA would actually be cheaper than vandy, unless they majorly increased my scholarship. weird GI bill quirk.

don't think berk is worth the increase in price for me since i don't need to be in SF that badly.

thanks, though :D good to hear that i have a good shot at H, at least.

davisoz

New

Post by davisoz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:03 am

Top 5%/ 3.72GPA at regional TTT. WE + Certified Public Accounting license. Chances at Fordham or NYU?

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:40 am

Top 4% at GULC. Only really interested in H/Y (missed Stanford deadline and want to stay East anyway). Two CALIs and will get recs from both of those profs (major doctrinal courses). No results from write on b/c GULC results don't come in until late August. Any bets?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

transferquery

New

Post by transferquery » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:05 pm

I'd say a very strong chance at H, but Y, while still possible, seems fairly unlikely

transferquery

New

Post by transferquery » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:06 pm

davisoz wrote:Top 5%/ 3.72GPA at regional TTT. WE + Certified Public Accounting license. Chances at Fordham or NYU?
Good chance at fordham, likely out at NYU

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:12 pm

lawskewl wrote:Thanks. Do you think I have any chance at the NYC schools or is my ranking just too low?

I have heard that GULC is huge and kind of impersonal, plus hugely competitive to be with such a large class.

I'd like to be back on east coast. What about Penn? How is Michigan for transfers/getting back to NYC? And finally, any other schools I should be looking at? Thanks.
Too low for Columbia/NYU/Penn. I mean, you can throw applications, but I'd say 25% shot at each. Michigan is fine for getting back to NYC, but like I said, you're borderline there too. You can give Northwestern a try, but you're probably not going to be able to crack the east coast schools.

For reference: most people who got CLS/Penn/NYU last year from T2 schools either had GPA's in the 3.9 range, were in the top 1-3% of the class, or both. People in the top 3-5% got Michigan/Northwestern/GULC. People in the top 10% got GULC. There are a few outliers here and there, but that's how it mostly went. Check out the transfer thread last year and look at the stats of people that got into CLS/NYU/Penn.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 pm

davisoz wrote:Top 5%/ 3.72GPA at regional TTT. WE + Certified Public Accounting license. Chances at Fordham or NYU?
Give GULC/Cornell a shot if you want a T14, though I'd still say only a 50% shot at each. I don't think top 5% from a TTT is even close to high enough for NYU.

You could try Fordham, and see if they'll let you go PT and do OCI next year to avoid their "transfers can't do OCI" problem (since you're a CPA and have WE, you have an excuse to want to work). I dunno if that would actually work, though.

Another suggestion for you is BU/BC. There are a few transfers around here who went to those schools and they all seem to like it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”