top 10% at UC Davis--transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dontknowwhattodo

New

top 10% at UC Davis--transfer?

Post by dontknowwhattodo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:08 pm

1L at UC Davis. Been a lurker around here for a while, but didn't want to register or post without grades.

The cut off GPA for top ten per cent is 3.67. I have a 3.67, meaning I am ranked around 18-19 in my class (As in Crim law and Contracts; B+ in LRW and Civpro).

Assuming that I can keep my grades up (big assumption as I feel like I got extremely lucky last semester), is there a chance for me to get Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, or Chicago? I am considering UCLA as well, but that might not be worth giving up my grades, contacts, etc. I want to work in Los Angeles or San Francisco after I graduate. But, I am willing to work in other metropolitan areas.

I plan to do public interest post grad, but want to clerk my first year out. I also kinda/sorta want to go into academia, but still have not really thought that one through yet. An org like ACLU would be something I would be interested in post-graduation.

Thanks for all your advice in advance. Much love and respect.

patrickd139

Gold

Re: top 10% at UC Davis--transfer?

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Knowing nothing more about you than what you posted, you're probably going to be a long shot at the schools you listed. I'd say out at HLS and SLS for sure. Long odds at Chicago and decent odds at Berkeley. The caveat being that transfer application cycles are very unpredictable: if you've got your heart set on one or more of those schools, it doesn't hurt to apply, given the low opportunity cost.

I'm not that familiar with the hiring processes/preferences in Cali, but if you're set on LA, you might consider throwing an app their way, especially if you're paying sticker at Davis. If it turns out that top 10% can land you PI or a clerkship in LA, of if you're on significant scholarship at Davis, then I'd think twice.

Good job killing it first semester, good luck sustaining it!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:54 pm

Stating that you were extremely lucky last semester suggests that you may fall out of the top 10%. Harvard & Stanford, therefore, are unlikely to accept you as a transfer student. Consider UCLA & Michigan or staying at UC-Davis since you want California. Chicago seems unlikely as well, in my opinion. But, as the post above wrote, apply & see what happens so that you have no regrets.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Apply to transfer to a lot of schools in the T14, and then leverage whatever results you get for a better scholarship at Davis.

dontknowwhattodo

New

Post by dontknowwhattodo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:03 am

Thank you all for your responses. They are extremely helpful.

A little more info: I am not paying sticker at Davis. I have around 15-20 thousand in scholarships.

Coldshoulder--this never even cross my mind. Thanks!

Canadianwolf/Patrickd139--I didn't think I would have a good chance at Harvard/Stanford. However, as both of you have said, I don't want to have any regrets (and the app fees aren't too bad). I do enjoy UC Davis, and I am currently having a fantastic time. But, I don't know how good my prospects will be graduating from Davis. Would chances at my listed schools improve if I did EA/ED?

I guess it's time to do a little more research! Again, thank you all.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 am

You should have a decent shot at B with top 10%.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”