Davis v. Oregon v. Colorado Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Davis v. CU v. Oregon

UC-Davis
44%
University of Colorado
39%
University of Oregon
17%

Total votes: 18

teddyc303

New

Davis v. Oregon v. Colorado

Post by teddyc303 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Out of state sticker at Davis
In state sticker at CU
Currently at Oregon with a bit of scholarship, but not a significant enough one to let me get through with a substantially lessened debt load.

Obviously Davis is a significantly better school the other two. However, is it good enough to justify paying double the cost ot transfer there? Should that much of a jump in cost dissuade me from transferring there?

I don't have much of a regional preference, my primary concern is getting a job upon graduation. Preferably one that would help me pay of my debt in a relatively quick fashion.

Any input and advice is much appreciated.

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Davis v. Oregon v. Colorado

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

1) Davis may not be "obviously" better than any other law school. It is for sure not "obviously" better than Oregon or CU.
2) Davis is really fucking expensive OOS. Plus you have to live in Davis. Not sure if that appeals to you or not.
3) Both Northern and Southern California are tough markets to break in to, no matter what law school you're at, and especially from those three schools.
4) Where do you want to work? Alternatively: where do you have the strongest ties? I would determine that first. All of these schools are regional (in the legal market sense of the word, not the geographic sense of the word). CU and Davis don't seem to travel well to Oregon. Oregon doesn't seem to travel well to California or Colorado. (You get the gist...) Ties to a specific area (or lack thereof) could significantly impact your success at finding the type of job you want.
5) Judging by your in state tuition option at CU, I'm assuming you're from Colorado. Is it cheaper to go to CU (considering your scholarship at Oregon)?
6) If your goal is to get 'a job' at graduation that will help pay off your debt, you may be able to do that without a problem at Oregon with minimal debt.
7) What type of job do you want? Firm, government, prosecutor, etc.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Transferring in your situation won't help you. Just stay and try to get a job in Oregon.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:56 am

Where do you want to work? What type of law do you want to practice?

Don't dwell on the rankings too much. These are all basically regional schools. Oregon places surprisingly well in the state, FWIW. They have an okay LRAP too, although Davis probably offers a more generous one.

teddyc303

New

Post by teddyc303 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:07 am

JOThompson wrote:Where do you want to work? What type of law do you want to practice?
I would be completely happy practicing in NorCal, Colorado, or Oregon. All three places fit me well, so there's not a huge preference in that regard.

I am from Colorado and have been in Oregon for the past year. So, my connections in those two places are much better than NorCal. Between Oregon and Colorado, my ties in Colorado are significantly stronger.

I would like to practice business law, preferably a firm job. I'd like to do regulatory or consumer protection down the road, but I'd like a firm experience out the gate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:10 am

Davis out of state sticker (hell, even in state sticker) doesn't seem like a very good idea. If I were you I'd go with Colorado.

Edit: I didn't realize you were transferring until just now. Given the high price tag at Davis and the minimal improvement that Colorado would be, I would just stick with Oregon and hustle to try to find a job there.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:17 am

CA may have a hard legal market but oregon has none. Go with David.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:15 am

Davis isn't significantly better than the other two options.

Each are regional schools. I think you have to think about where you want to practice.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:52 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Transferring in your situation won't help you. Just stay and try to get a job in Oregon.

Finish at Oregon and work in Portland after graduating. It's actually a very nice city...similar to Seattle but with fewer super-rich people and less cache'. On top of that, some of Seattle's top firms do hire out of Oregon.

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.dwt.com/People?search=&school=@2809

http://www.klgates.com/professionals/xp ... nalResults

http://www.stoel.com/bios.aspx

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:01 am

In your shoes, I would transfer to Colorado - mainly because you are from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”