W&L (FT full tuition) vs. Maryland (PT in-state) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SpencerPratt

Bronze

W&L (FT full tuition) vs. Maryland (PT in-state)

Post by SpencerPratt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:29 am

Hey guys, I'm transferring back home to the DC area and have gotten into UMD PT program (went to my old school's PT program) and W&L's full time program (though I'd probably need an extra semester to work out transfer credits since I'm studying abroad for only 5 credits).

I want to practice in either Maryland (Montgomery County) or DC (or NOVA I guess). For those suggesting I may only find work in Charlottesville/Richmond or Baltimore, I'd choose Baltimore. I'd also have free rent in Maryland if I lived at home.

I know W&L is ranked higher and has a more prestigious reputation, but Maryland would be plenty cheaper due to in-state plus no housing costs.

Which has a better reputation in DC? Does MD place well into the Maryland (DC) suburbs?

Still waiting on GW and Gtown FWIW.

ran12

Silver

Re: W&L (FT full tuition) vs. Maryland (PT in-state)

Post by ran12 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 am

If you're comfortable working in Baltimore or MD as a whole, UMD is by far the better option. When you consider free rent and PT, so you could potentially work during the day, it's a better situation. Currently, UMD and W&L prob have equal chances at DC. Chances aren't great b/c of the DC market and all the different schools that pump grads in If you care about being in DMV more, UMD prob is the safer bet b/c W&L grads seem to tend to get jobs more in the south.

denimchickn

New

Re: W&L (FT full tuition) vs. Maryland (PT in-state)

Post by denimchickn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Placement in Maryland: Slight lean Maryland.
Placement in NOVA: Lean W&L
Placement in DC: Slight lean/lean W&L
Placement elsewhere: Solid W&L

Maryland is obviously cheaper.

Also, the atmosphere has to be a consideration. There are few places less similar that downtown Baltimore and Lexington, Virginia. Being in a small town, W&L tends to be very tight knit. Everyone knows everyone and most people tend to end up at the same parties or Lexington's one decent bar on the weekends. I don't know anything about the environment or the students at UMD, but I'd imagine it's quite different.

All in all, I'd probably pick W&L, but it would be a close call.

Full disclosure: I went to W&L last year. I also have a room in a really nice and really cheap house I'm trying to get rid of in Lex. So pick W&L, and if you're a dude, take it off my hands please :)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”